Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 8    Views: 109

Kaybee
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Sep 22, 2012
Perth, Australi...
03/30/14 05:46 PM (10 years ago)

Request to all Plugin developers

HI Guys, Can I request that it becomes standard that when a new plugin is developed or upgraded, that the actual plugin version is shown in the header of the [ThisPlugin.m file? That way when someone is struggling with what they think is a current version (like myself this weekend) they can confirm in the header while in XCode what version they are actually working with. For some reason, my Self hosted said I was on the latest version, but I wasn't in the end I had to download SH zip file and edit all the BT_appDelegates to be relevant to my app, After some advise on BTChat. That solved it in the end, but a bit frustrating in the beginnings.. Just a thought, oh and I am more likely to give positive reviews should you do this haha ;) Regards KB

mrDavid
BTMods.com
Reg: May 21, 2011
San Diego, CA
03/30/14 05:48 PM (10 years ago)
I love reviews and I love happy developers. Count me in. David Van Beveren https://btmods.com/chat ^ Chat with other BT Members live!

Masons App Design
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 06, 2013
Andrews, TX
03/30/14 06:22 PM (10 years ago)
Good point kaybee. Also I know nothing about code but am going to try and learn so I can make an android plugin. If I may suggest also that we try to get some of these awesome plugins that are only iOS to android also. That would be the only other suggestion I might bring. Thank you guys for what you all do!

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Nov 03, 2011
Oxford
03/30/14 06:30 PM (10 years ago)
@Masons... Getting more Android plugins would be great, but I know how difficult it is (because I am an iOS plugin developer to be) to get one platform made, let alone transferring it to a completely different coding language. @Kaybee... Very supportive of the idea.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
03/30/14 06:47 PM (10 years ago)
NCBuzz had the same request. It's a smart move I think all developers should adopt. Count me in. Cheers! -- Smug

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Nov 03, 2011
Oxford
03/30/14 06:51 PM (10 years ago)
What I think we should do is all have a ChangeLog file. Give the version number, date of publication and any changes. I know most do this already, but I just want to enforce it.

Masons App Design
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 06, 2013
Andrews, TX
03/30/14 07:27 PM (10 years ago)
@thomas I figured it was difficult. I was researching it the other day and it seems to be tough that's why I am going to take a stab at it for android, but it may take a better part of my life to do it...lol. That's why I appreciate all the work plugin developers do and I hope to be able to contribute one day.

mrDavid
BTMods.com
Reg: May 21, 2011
San Diego, CA
03/30/14 09:42 PM (10 years ago)
NCBuzz's post: https://www.buzztouch.com/forum/thread.php?tid=0137AFAA0898B6457276A7F :-) David Van Beveren https://btmods.com/chat ^ Chat with other BT Members live!

nadthevlad
Code is Art
Reg: Jun 07, 2012
Denver
03/31/14 11:17 AM (10 years ago)
I think you should be more explicit in your request. Just tell the plugin devs in a clear and concise way that you will knock a star off their review if they don't do this simple thing. Adding a version number to a file to the plugin files that only takes a dev a minutes of their time, but could cost a plugin user hours of work if they are not using the most up to date files. If you find a dev not doing this simply send them a pm along the lines of: "Hey I love your plugin but I noticed you haven't added (or kept up to date) a version number in your plugin files. I would love to give you a 5 star review, but your lack of documentation could cause me to lose hours of work due to using outdated plugin files. At this time I can only give you a 3 or 4 star review. I will hold off reviewing your plugin for a week in the hopes that you will fix this simple thing." And btw I put my version number below the legal disclaimer.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.