Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 7    Views: 87

NCbuzz
Code is Art
Reg: Sep 11, 2013
Lillington, NC
03/27/14 07:02 PM (10 years ago)

How to know when Plugin Has been Updated - BT-Hosted

EDITED- Changed title so clear that it is for BT Hosted (3/28) For BT Hosted Plugins- How do you tell if the Plugin has been updated since last adding to project? I realize that every time you download your app package from BT hosted you get the latest plugin code- nut how do I know if it has changed? When you look at your "Installed PlugIns" page on the BT site, it shows the [Date Installed] and [Last Date Updated]. Is [Last Date Updated] the last date that the PlugIn was updated on the BT site? Have edited almost every plugin I have downloaded, and want to make sure (a) I have latest plugin bug fixes before reporting an issue, and (b) need to insure my code updates are applied every time after selecting new plugin code. Pretty sure this was answered previously, but can't find... Thanks

mrDavid
BTMods.com
Reg: May 21, 2011
San Diego, CA
03/27/14 09:34 PM (10 years ago)
I was going to answer but you said the question was for a BT Admin ;-) Just joking :-) I was typing up an answer until I realized you said BT Hosted - you got me, I'm not actually sure, good question. You would think you would need to "update" the plugin from the market, but it looks like it auto updates for you, without telling you, or letting you know if you had the latest and greatest when you last used it. Heh. Looking forward to finding out myself. Wish I could have been more helpful. David Van Beveren https://btmods.com/chat ^ Chat with other BT Members live!

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
03/28/14 01:17 AM (10 years ago)
I am not a BT Admin. But… I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once… ;) The way it is 'supposed' to work is, it all trickles downhill… the plugin developer 'should' increment the version number with each update. 'any' plugin is automatically updated at the BT server when the developer uploads a new package. When the self hosted admin press 'check for updates' it queries the BT Database with your local database and compares version numbers from the plugins you have installed with the plugins at BT Central. If the plugin version number is lower than the plugin version number at BT, you will get a little red notice that says it's available for update. It'll also have a link that will simplify the process. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/115208762/updatePlugins.png Otherwise, it's up to the plugin developer to update their plugins to current. If you've run the update, and there is no 'update available' message, you have the latest and greatest. If the greatest isn't that great, it may be a legitimate issue. But that's how you know. Or as close as we can know. Cheers! -- Smug

NCbuzz
Code is Art
Lillington, NC
03/28/14 05:28 AM (10 years ago)
Thanks for the responses!! (edited title ;) Hoping there is an equivalent to what Smug described for BT Hosted...

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
03/28/14 05:59 AM (10 years ago)
BT hosted is updated when the developer uploads a new version. that's the package used 'from that moment forward' on BT hosted projects. Cheers! -- Smug

NCbuzz
Code is Art
Lillington, NC
03/28/14 06:58 PM (10 years ago)
Having a hard time expressing my question ;) I understand how BT hosted uses latest Plugin when developer builds and downloads new package. I guess my question is more of a source code version control question when combining plugins with my xcode. Background Context: I (and I assume most who modify plugin code) can not simply take the new plugin code from BT and integrate into our App every-time we download latest App. Reason being that our code modifications would be lost. For that reason the only time I currently take plugin code is generally when I download/add a brand new plugin that I just purchased. However as time passes our plugin developers fix/enhance their plugin code. Recently several of the Plugin developers are updating the version number and change description on the BT Plugin page which is great. However this requires a periodic check of each of the plugins in the market to see if they have have been changed. Then the question is how to compare to what Version of PlugIn code is in my App. Unfortunately most Plugin Developers do NOT include the date or version numbers in the comment header of their pluginName.m or pluginName.h where it would be easy to compare. (Not sure why- unless they strip out comments prior to submission.) ========== Wondering how everyone else who mods plugin code deals with this? Hopefully I am missing some obvious indicator. Maybe the advise is that everyone keeps a chart with date downloaded/integrated into App and then periodically check plugin description. - but really...

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
03/28/14 07:12 PM (10 years ago)
ohh. I think I see what you're saying. Now that the code is in your app, the .m or .h file has no versioning indicated, therefore you can't always be sure of 'which' version you're running with. Good Point. Right now, the answer is 'you don't know'. The solution of course, would be for the plugin developer to annotate the code files along with all the other usual 'indicators', so that the end developer would know which version of which plugin they had launched. It's an idea I can certainly get behind. I'll start using that in my plugins (starting with the next update) and encourage others to do so. But of course, free will means they can do whatever they want, lol! I just agree it's a better way in the long run. :) Cheers! -- Smug I wonder if any of the file date information is retained… cumbersome, but workable...

NCbuzz
Code is Art
Lillington, NC
03/29/14 10:25 AM (10 years ago)
Thanks Smug- you summarized it a lot better ;) Hopefully other PlugIn developers will agree. Until BT adds some mechanism for developers that comparison info will be the only way. The download package only has the current date-timestamp of the zip file.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.