Higgey
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Sep 07, 2011
West Midlands
03/26/14 05:44 AM (10 years ago)

Which Deployment Target is Best?

xCode gives the option to set the iOS Deployment target. Which one is best to enable the highest number of devices that can download the app? John

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 25, 2013
Maine
03/26/14 07:09 AM (10 years ago)
Hi John, Ideally, to reach 99% of the devices out there, 5.0 would be best... but many SDK's and code now require at least 6.0 in order to work, such as certain swiping gestures and such. I personally target 6.0, and assume I'm reaching at least 95% of the market. I would think if anyone is under 6.0, it's because they don't know how to update, so the chance of them knowing how to install a new app is probably pretty slim as well (think grandmother that was given a phone to video chat with her grandkids on facetime or something). I would have used to say that retaining a jailbreak would be another good reason for a user not to update, but with the easy modern methods of jailbreaking, including all the way up to the current 7.0.4 iOS version, thats no longer a reason not to update. I'm pretty sure you'll be safe with targeting 6.0 and not losing any possible downloaders. iOS 6.0 and above will basically cover anything iPhone 4 and above with the stock OS shipped from the factory. I don't think many 3GS models are still in service anymore, and even the ones that are have probably been upgraded as far as they can go.

Higgey
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Sep 07, 2011
West Midlands
03/26/14 08:09 AM (10 years ago)
Thanks Angry Ninja. I think I've got my head around it now. Cheers, John.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.