Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 3    Views: 37

Tubaad
Aspiring developer
Reg: May 29, 2012
RANHEIM
03/25/14 08:26 AM (10 years ago)

Viewing protected videos in AT53 Video Player

I am using the AT53 Video Player to show videos from a directory on my web server. However, I would like the videos to be unaccessible when using the same URL in a browser. In other words, it should ONLY be possible to view these videos through the iOS app. I am thinking loudly: - Password protected directory on the web server? In that case the AT53 Video Player needs to be able to log in and I cant seem to find an option for that. Any suggestions are very welcome!

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
03/25/14 06:17 PM (10 years ago)
I don't think you'd need to modify the plugin for this; it's not part of the plugin design. What you might want to think about is using browser detection on the server side… if you do that, then you can redirect desktop based browsers elsewhere, and let the mobile browsers view the content. Since there are a million desktop browsers, I'd make a list of the most popular mobile browsers and do some sort of 'if/then' to let them view, and anything else would be directed elsewhere. What you 'may' want to do is when you redirect a desktop browser, send them to a page that advertises your app. "This video is only available via the 'MyCoolApp' mobile application available on iTunes (give link) or Google Play (give link)". Never tell them no. Give them an option. :) http://whichbrowser.net Good Luck! Cheers! -- Smug

Tubaad
Aspiring developer
Reg: May 29, 2012
RANHEIM
03/26/14 02:46 AM (10 years ago)
Nice idea, but I don't want the videos to be accessible from anywhere outside the app. Not even through iOS Safari. The video is eventually supposed to be an in-app purchase of videos. Perhaps I should pass on a password variable through the URL? And have a php script redirect to the video when authenticated? Something like: www.domain.com/video.php?videoID=1&password=123 But I still guess it would be possible for a hacker to sniff the headers and find the video URLs? Unless the video URL contains a unique UID for each request... I have a feeling I should look elsewhere for info on this... But, do you know if the AT53 Video Player can handle non-video URLs, as long as it is redirected to a video?

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
03/26/14 03:53 PM (10 years ago)
Are the videos too large to bundle? Perhaps they can be downloaded later, after the In App Purchase, or whatever…? Otherwise, I'd get an SSL cert and hide them behind a protected directory on a server, using an https connection to get the content. You can do the same without SSL, but you might have to worry about packet sniffing… but you'll want to weigh the cost of outfitting a secure pipe versus the possibility of getting hacked. Cheers! -- Smug Edit: and not sure if it can handle 'non-video' URLs… You'd have to ask Atrain…

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.