DaveMudra
Lost but trying
Reg: Feb 10, 2014
West Covina
03/21/14 01:03 PM (10 years ago)

Android simulator

I loaded Eclipse and then opened the applications that I had created in Buzztouch. I've watched the videos in the Buzztouch University and thought that they were helpful but there seems to be a lot of old information. For instance, the videos showed how you can load the Android simulator. I do not see that option within Eclipse (Android SDK). Any suggestions?

Masons App Design
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 06, 2013
Andrews, TX
03/21/14 01:25 PM (10 years ago)
After you compile your project you can go to the poperties for the project and select run as. This will then bring up the options to select which type of device you want to simulate. The easiest way is to use an actual android device and load the app directly to it for testing.

DaveMudra
Lost but trying
West Covina
03/21/14 01:36 PM (10 years ago)
Please clarify when you say "compile." Is that the same thing as creating and publishing my app within Buzztouch? When you say select "run as" as are you talking about from within Eclipse/Android SDK? Thanks

Masons App Design
Aspiring developer
Andrews, TX
03/21/14 01:43 PM (10 years ago)
When I say compile I mean downlading the zip file for your app from BT and adding it to eclipse to test. With the run as yes it is within Eclipse. Once you import the project file from BT into eclipse you will right click on the project and towards the bottom select run as.

DaveMudra
Lost but trying
West Covina
03/24/14 01:41 PM (10 years ago)
First of all, thank you for your feedback and your willingness to offer help. I listened to most of the videos but these questions were not answered that I recall. I think that I've done what you suggest above. I click on the Eclipse application and it opens and then I open the unzipped app from BT. I then get a screen with the middle column is the software code, the left column says "project explorer" and is empty and the right column says "outline" and it is empty. At the bottom of the screen are four tabs that say "problems, javadocs, declaration and console. They are all empty with the exception of console that has these two lines. [2014-03-24 13:25:56 - SDK Manager] [SDK Manager] Invalid number of parameters [2014-03-24 13:25:56 - SDK Manager] [SDK Manager] The system cannot find the path specified. I am trying to see where the Android simulator is since I do not see it anywhere in the Eclipse software.

Masons App Design
Aspiring developer
Andrews, TX
03/24/14 05:35 PM (10 years ago)
You will right click on the project name and go to run as. Once you click on run as it will bring up another screen where you can select what simulator to use. But there again if you have an android device it is much easier to test on that.

DaveMudra
Lost but trying
West Covina
03/25/14 01:26 PM (10 years ago)
Thanks for response. It looks like there is something that I do not understand. When I click on open up Eclipse then the Android Development Tools open and it tells me to select workspace and I pick the default location which I had set. Once it is opened there is no option to Run. The option is only to Open a file.

Masons App Design
Aspiring developer
Andrews, TX
03/25/14 01:38 PM (10 years ago)
You may have some packages in the sdk manager that need to be downloaded. Just go to the sdk manager in eclipse and download any packages that are there. Also take a look here and this will help with getting your project into eclipse. https://www.buzztouch.com/files/howtos/Compiling_Your_Android_Application_v1.0.pdf Once your project is in eclipse like this shows, then you will do what I said above with right clicking and going to run as.

Masons App Design
Aspiring developer
Andrews, TX
03/26/14 06:27 AM (10 years ago)
Any luck?

DaveMudra
Lost but trying
West Covina
03/27/14 01:03 PM (10 years ago)
Yes and no. The PDF file was very helpful. I followed instructions and was able to get my project from Buzztouch imported or loaded in Eclipse but am getting 13 errors. I went into FILE and PROPERTIES and it says there are no property pages set up for my app. Maybe that is the problem that I need resolved?

DaveMudra
Lost but trying
West Covina
04/01/14 01:44 PM (10 years ago)
Masons App Design. Do you have any answers for my problem stated above?

Masons App Design
Aspiring developer
Andrews, TX
04/01/14 01:58 PM (10 years ago)
What errors are you getting? Are there any in the android manifest? If there is one in the androind manifest it is probably because you need to reference the google play library. If this is the case there is a step by step in the how to section. Take care of this first and it may clear up most of the others. Ok for the errors that do not clear with the play library reference you will open the src file ion the project then expand the other files that are inside it. Each file with a red x next to it will have an error. If you double click on the file you can see where the errors are. Usually if you hover over the error with the mouse it will give you several options to correct the erros. I ususally just choose the first one. Once you get them all cleaned out you should be able to run it.

Masons App Design
Aspiring developer
Andrews, TX
04/01/14 01:58 PM (10 years ago)
I hope this helps. This is usually the type of errors I get.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.