Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 2    Views: 81

jtommervik
I hate code!
Reg: Feb 21, 2012
Seattle
03/20/14 12:13 PM (10 years ago)

Is this legal? Or against Yahoo TOS?

I am developing an app of Stocks. Yahoo Finance will only let you use their stock quote api for non commercial purposes. Instead of selling my app (which would make it commercial), what if I set the app for free. The USER will have access to the app and the stock quotes for free. If they want additional detailed info about the company, they could pay for that info with an in-app purchase. In other words, you're getting the stock quote info for free, but paying for additional info. do you think this is fine, or would this be considered "commercial" by Yahoo term of service?

EdReyes
Lost but trying
Reg: Oct 21, 2013
location unknow...
03/20/14 12:20 PM (10 years ago)
I think any type of commerce that takes place within an app would make it a commercial product. I could be wrong, have you researched other similar type apps that do what you want to do.

mrDavid
BTMods.com
Reg: May 21, 2011
San Diego, CA
03/20/14 12:21 PM (10 years ago)
If you're making them pay to see additional information supplied by Yahoo's API then it is most definitely considered commercial, no matter how much free information you give out. Sorry buddy. Don't let that get you down, there are many ways out there to make a little $. Consider making the app free, using the API, and then offering additional content or features in the app to make the experience even better, without limiting the API. Cheers! David https://btmods.com/chat/

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.