Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 14    Views: 74

challama
I hate code!
Reg: Mar 16, 2014
Appleton, WI
03/18/14 04:20 PM (10 years ago)

Curious re: Plugins, Mods etc. for a Beginner's Needs?

Hello All, I debated on making this post so as not to waste your valuable time, but I'm sorry, as a complete beginner, I'm completely lost on this app development stuff. I've searched the forums and am beginning the Buzztouch U tutorials, but before I get too far, I want to make sure that Buzztouch is right for me and my needs. I'll make it quick: I want to create an app that has lists of default contact info for people in specific geographic areas (so geo-targeting/fencing, I suppose), but that is also editable (and savable) by the end user. For example: Location A> Category 1> Person 1a>[Click to Call][Edit] Category 2> Person 2a>[Click to Call][Edit] Category 3> Person 3a>[Click to Call][Edit] Location B> Category 1> Person 1b>[Click to Call][Edit] Category 2> Person 2b>[Click to Call][Edit] Category 3> Person 3b>[Click to Call][Edit] Etc. I can see having a list of available locations to select by the end-user instead of geo-targeting/fencing. In fact, I would like the end-user to have the ability to select a location other than their current one anyway should they choose to do so; however, initially geo-targeting/fencing would be way more efficient for the end-user. As shown above, if an end-user prefers another person over the default person listed, they can edit that listing to the person/number they prefer, and that edit wouldn't be over-ridden by future updates. Finally, if an end-user wants to add their own custom categories/people/contact info, they can do so (and not be over-ridden by future updates). Now, being someone that is barely capable with WordPress, can Buzztouch get me to where I want to go? Alternatives? Are there any idiot-friendly guides to building an app that includes geo-targeting/fencing and end-user editable data? I want to develop this app for both iOS and Android, fwiw. Thank you so much for any assistance you can provide. Frank

PaddyO
Lost but trying
Reg: Sep 11, 2013
Geelong
03/18/14 06:11 PM (10 years ago)
Hi @challama, that is totally doable with Buzztouch, either using locations and categories you enter manually into BT via your control panel, or that you make accessible on a MYSQL database with some php to bring it home. Everyone here is super helpful, so ask for help when you get stuck. I'm also a newbie - the BT community will make you very welcome. Get through as many tutorials as you can, have a play with some plugins, search the forums (best way is to google "buzztouch forums [thing I'm interested in]", the forum search often doesn't reveal much unless you happen to nail the exact terms in someone's post title) then look at the tutorials again, then ask. Apart from many of mine, there are no dumb questions here. ;) No doubt some of the experienced people here will be able to point you at some starter stuff for your geo needs. Welcome! Cheers Paddy.

Susan Metoxen
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: May 01, 2011
Hopkins, Minnes...
03/18/14 10:22 PM (10 years ago)
The part where you can change the contact will be harder to do. Do you want it to save on the device? Should it be on that users other devices? There is a similar function in an app called Maine EMS. The app was made with Buzztouch.

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
03/19/14 06:42 AM (10 years ago)
If user-editable, then that will take coding to make it work. If control-panel editable, then no coding needed.

challama
I hate code!
Appleton, WI
03/19/14 08:39 AM (10 years ago)
Thanks @PaddyO. "that is totally doable with Buzztouch, either using locations and categories you enter manually into BT via your control panel, or that you make accessible on a MYSQL database with some php to bring it home. " I have no problem entering the locations/categories manually if that'll work, as MySQL/PHP stuff is way out of my league at the moment. "Get through as many tutorials as you can, have a play with some plugins, search the forums (best way is to google "buzztouch forums [thing I'm interested in]", the forum search often doesn't reveal much unless you happen to nail the exact terms in someone's post title) then look at the tutorials again, then ask. " Thanks for the advice! Frank

challama
I hate code!
Appleton, WI
03/19/14 08:48 AM (10 years ago)
@Susan: "The part where you can change the contact will be harder to do." Uh-oh ;) "Do you want it to save on the device?" I believe ideally, yes. It's just names and numbers so it shouldn't take up too much space on devices. Also, I want end-users to have access to this information even when out of the range of Wi-Fi/mobile networks. "Should it be on that users other devices?" Sure, but that's more of a "like to have" as opposed to "need to have," as the app would focus on the ability to see quick contacts and make calls with their main mobile phone, which is likely the only thing most people never leave home without (along with wallet/purse and keys, of course). "There is a similar function in an app called Maine EMS. The app was made with Buzztouch." Just checked it out, thanks. I see you need to register/login to add contacts, which is an unnecessary step I'd rather not have end-users need to take. Nice app though!

challama
I hate code!
Appleton, WI
03/19/14 08:53 AM (10 years ago)
@Niraj Shah: "If user-editable, then that will take coding to make it work." Ugh, that's what I was afraid of lol. "If control-panel editable, then no coding needed." I want to be able to make changes/updates to the default categories/contacts/numbers as needed, which I assume can be done via the control panel, but again, I also want end-users to be able to add and/or edit their own preferred categories/contacts/numbers should they choose to do so, which I guess will take some coding. Any resources recommended to look into for a novice such as myself? Thanks!

challama
I hate code!
Appleton, WI
03/19/14 10:03 AM (10 years ago)
Deleted: Double-post

Susan Metoxen
buzztouch Evangelist
Hopkins, Minnes...
03/19/14 10:07 AM (10 years ago)
BTW, @challama, I am your neighbor here in Minnesota. I live in the Western suburbs of Minneapolis.

challama
I hate code!
Appleton, WI
03/19/14 10:39 AM (10 years ago)
Deleted: Triple-post

challama
I hate code!
Appleton, WI
03/19/14 10:40 AM (10 years ago)
@Susan: "BTW, @challama, I am your neighbor here in Minnesota. I live in the Western suburbs of Minneapolis." Small world! My wife is a Vikings fan :(

challama
I hate code!
Appleton, WI
03/19/14 11:36 AM (10 years ago)
Deleted: Double-post

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
03/20/14 10:23 AM (10 years ago)
Try to avoid refreshing this page -- your comments get repeated. Click on the orange breadcrumbs at the top to find your post. :-) Perhaps you can start with the Checklist plugin. It has a lot of similar capability. Yet it will require changes to suit your needs. And it is a way to learn! Also, you can ask Tim Wolf, he owns the Maine EMS app. He can refer you to the User plugin's developer. I am guessing that Chris1 made it. http://www.buzztouch.com/Chris1 -- Niraj

challama
I hate code!
Appleton, WI
03/20/14 10:28 AM (10 years ago)
@Niraj Shah: "Try to avoid refreshing this page -- your comments get repeated. Click on the orange breadcrumbs at the top to find your post. :-)" Whoops... Sorry about that! "Perhaps you can start with the Checklist plugin. It has a lot of similar capability. Yet it will require changes to suit your needs. And it is a way to learn!" I'll look into that... Thanks! "Also, you can ask Tim Wolf, he owns the Maine EMS app. He can refer you to the User plugin's developer. I am guessing that Chris1 made it. http://www.buzztouch.com/Chris1" Thanks for the info, Niraj... Much appreciated!

Susan Metoxen
buzztouch Evangelist
Hopkins, Minnes...
03/20/14 01:51 PM (10 years ago)
If you are interested, I know about the Maine EMS app. Chris1 made the dosage calculator, and I made the Contacts system.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.