DaveMudra
Lost but trying
Reg: Feb 10, 2014
West Covina
03/19/14 11:01 AM (10 years ago)

Installing Android SDK

I's stuck partially because the videos on Buzztouch U don't always match up to reality. I've installed Eclipse and Android SDK and evidently need to install Android SDK into Eclipse that I think I've done. However, if I simply launch Android SDK by double clicking the executable file it starts loading after I click install file and click accept terms. However it gets to a point telling me that it can not continue install until I close Java and CMD.exe. The problem is that I think that the install program is the one using Java to install because when I open Task Manager and close out Java it also closes out the Android SDK installation

mysps
Code is Art
Reg: May 14, 2011
Palma
03/19/14 11:26 AM (10 years ago)
Yeah the easiest way to install Android these days is downloading the Android SDK Bundle: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html It did not exist before the videos. Good luck!

Masons App Design
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 06, 2013
Andrews, TX
03/19/14 11:59 AM (10 years ago)
With the bundle you get everything in one. This is how I did it as well.

DaveMudra
Lost but trying
West Covina
03/19/14 12:45 PM (10 years ago)
Thanks guys but that did not help. I did download through the same link. However once I load the Android SDK it tells me that there is another file that needs to be load. I click accept terms within Android SDK and it tells me that it can not install the additional file because Java and CMD.exe are open. As I said when I close Java it also closes the Android SDK

Masons App Design
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 06, 2013
Andrews, TX
03/19/14 01:18 PM (10 years ago)
I ran into that as well and my assumption was that the older version I was trying to load first was interfering with the eclipse bundle I was loading. I completely uninstalled everything that had to do with eclipse and once I was done I reinstalled it using only the bundle pack.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
03/19/14 01:44 PM (10 years ago)
I've got some videos here that should help! https://www.youtube.com/user/gonorthwest Mark

DaveMudra
Lost but trying
West Covina
03/19/14 03:34 PM (10 years ago)
Great advise guys. It looks like I need to uninstall Eclipse first however Eclipse is not listed in my "remove programs" in control panel

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
03/19/14 03:36 PM (10 years ago)
Yep, it doesn't get installed like a normal program. Everything is in the Eclipse root folder...just delete it and you're good. Make sure you have the Java JDK installed as well. Mark

DaveMudra
Lost but trying
West Covina
03/19/14 08:00 PM (10 years ago)
So I did everything suggested and still having same problem. I deleted the Eclipse directory and then reinstalled the Android SDK. Once the Android SDK installed then I could see the Eclipse subdirectory (so far so good). So now when I look into the main directory I see two folders, Eclipse and SDK and I see one executable file, SDK Manager. I double click on SDK Manager and it loads Android SDK Manager. I then click "install" 5 packages, then accept license, then install. After a short time I get an error message saying "Warning, the following processes (cmd.exe and Java.exe) are locking the following directory . . . . close these applications and continue." I can not close Java since it appears that Java is running the install process. If I close Java then the Android SDK Manager also closes.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
03/19/14 08:23 PM (10 years ago)
Hi Dave, Are you doing this on Windows? If so, try right-clicking the SDK Manager file, select Run As Administrator, and then go from there. Mark

DaveMudra
Lost but trying
West Covina
03/20/14 09:09 AM (10 years ago)
Yes Mark I am running on Windows. I tried what you said and ran as administer and same problem. The SDK shows 6 files that "need" to be installed. I can skip the second file and it installs a total of 5 but still tells me to close Java and CMD for the other file

DaveMudra
Lost but trying
West Covina
03/20/14 04:22 PM (10 years ago)
OK, well appreciate everyone's input. I finally just installed 5 of the 6 files and am hoping this works. I then loaded Eclipse and then opened the applications that I had created in Buzztouch. I've watched the videos in the Buzztouch University and thought that they were helpful but there seems to be a lot of old information. For instance, the videos showed how you can load the Android simulator. I do not see that option within Eclipse (Android SDK). Any suggestions?

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.