Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 5    Views: 86

ResearchDepartment
Aspiring developer
Reg: Dec 27, 2013
São Paulo
03/11/14 12:58 PM (10 years ago)

We should be teaching new devs about FOSS licenses

Given the importance of FOSS (some prefer "FLOSS" - Free/Libre Open Source Software) to the Buzztouch model, I think it would be really good if we had one or more documents and possibly even one or more videos (maybe as part of Buzztouch U?) on Free Software in general, the specific licenses (e.g., GPL2, GPL3, LGPL, Apache, Eclipse, MIT, Mozilla, BSD Simplified, BSD Revised, etc.) and what they mean for the developer in terms of how he or she can modify the code and what additional requirements are imposed on the developer if he or she does alter the code. Nobody wants to get smacked with a copyright violation suit, but I think a lot of people don't understand that "available free for download" is not the same as "free for you to do what you like and use as you see fit in your own code without restriction." It's not hard to respect the licenses and avoid copyright violations (for the licenses that have restrictions, they basically amount to making any modified source code available and/or citing the source code used), but I think we ought to make it a little easier for new developers to understand the various Free Software licenses. Whaddy'all think?

farcat
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 27, 2012
France
03/11/14 02:24 PM (10 years ago)
Good post, I agree. I actually know very little on the subject yet I use BT A LOT. Farcat

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
03/11/14 04:28 PM (10 years ago)
Totally agree, and it's something I brought up a bit at the San Diego BuzzDay. It's especially relevant to people making plugins, and people who might be introducing apps into their business environments, where there are controls around the use of open source software (which Buzztouch is as well). Been thinking about writing up a tutorial...might just do that! Mark

shenry
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jan 10, 2012
Orange County, ...
03/11/14 04:31 PM (10 years ago)
We would all benefit from knowing more about this. Thanks.

EdReyes
Lost but trying
Reg: Oct 21, 2013
location unknow...
03/12/14 12:17 AM (10 years ago)
Let us know when you complete this tutorial Mark, should be helpful and interesting for all, i'm sure. Ed

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
03/12/14 03:24 AM (10 years ago)
Great question. We need that clarification. I have asked a buddy to help us gain that type of understanding. He is a FOSS subject matter expert on how it can be used within companies and as part of deliverable products. The basic tenets he always touts are: 1. Read and understand the license 2. FOSS is to be treated just like commercial licenses -- follow the rules of the license 3. Upon request, the code must be made available I have asked him to review this thread for correctness. Possibly he might be able to weigh-in. All we can do is to provide guidance. The license is the only truth, don't take shortcuts. Read and understand and follow the rules of the license. -- Niraj

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.