iulianh
Apple Fan
Reg: Feb 24, 2014
Suceava
03/01/14 07:35 AM (10 years ago)

Depricated in IOS 7

Hello, I made an app, I download it the project and I run it with deployment target 7.0 I get 26 issue: depricated Can anyone help me to fix it? Thank you

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
03/01/14 10:55 AM (10 years ago)
Hello, Those are nothing to worry about. That's just Apple's way of saying that the code you are using is an older way of doing things, and we have a new improved way you might want to consider. But, the deprecated code will still work for some time, and the warnings won't prevent you from compiling. You can safely ignore them. Mark

chris1
Code is Art
Reg: Aug 10, 2012
Austin, TX
03/01/14 11:37 AM (10 years ago)
Yep - we know about those warnings and Mark is right - they're nothing to worry about. Buzztouch could have gone with the newer/recommended ways of accomplishing the same thing, but then we would be forcing everyone to target iOS7 devices only. By using the older methods, people can target as low as iOS5, which covers back to 1st-gen iPads.

Slav
Apple Fan
Reg: Sep 09, 2013
Toronto
03/02/14 09:31 PM (10 years ago)
Chris1, sorry if I sound as newbie but isn't it a requirement to build apps for iOS7 only? As in letter from iTunesconnect "Starting February 1 new apps and app updates submitted to the App Store must be build with iOS7 SDK"?

chris1
Code is Art
Reg: Aug 10, 2012
Austin, TX
03/02/14 09:43 PM (10 years ago)
No need to apologize - we call gotta start somewhere! The requirement by Apple really is dealing with the new version of Xcode (5.0). You don't need to target iOS7 devices, you just need to include the iOS7 SDK in your project. Think of it like this. When you target a certain iOS version, you're saying the app can be run on any device with that version. When you include an SDK, you're including the newest code so that your app can use the latest features available (if you so choose). Apple wants to make sure you're using the latest code set as a developer just to encourage you to be familiar with what's new and available. But it doesn't require you to only build apps for the latest devices. Apple knows it needs to let developers continue to support older devices in some situations - especially when users can't upgrade iPads as easily as they can iPhones. Make sense?

Slav
Apple Fan
Reg: Sep 09, 2013
Toronto
03/02/14 10:06 PM (10 years ago)
That is very important point. I think because of this mistake I lost good half (if not 3/4) of potential buyers of my newest app submitted in February - users with older devices just couldn't buy - you can't upgrade OS on a couple years old device. I was in doubt but the requirement was so obvious (and even was mentioned on forums) that I took it as You Must build for iOS7 and didn't ask at forums. Well, thank you. To summarize for everyone (is it valid point?): build for at least one level of iOS lover then newest - do not cut your business

iulianh
Apple Fan
Reg: Feb 24, 2014
Suceava
03/03/14 05:16 AM (10 years ago)
Ok, I understand. Best was to be able to choose what IOS do you target.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.