Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 14    Views: 117

Adam
Aspiring developer
Reg: Oct 23, 2010
Southern Califo...
02/27/14 06:00 PM (10 years ago)

Fetching data from Wordpress Site

Hey guys, I was wondering how could I could fetch data from a CMS Wordpress site and then have it sync on an app. For example, say a company has a Wordpress Site with a contact directory, calendar, and a photo gallery. How would I be able to sync the data onto an app? Any suggestions? Thanks, Adam

mrDavid
BTMods.com
Reg: May 21, 2011
San Diego, CA
02/27/14 08:04 PM (10 years ago)
You would need specific plugins, some plugins have that kind of functionality (see bt-addons.com), but those are the only ones I know of. Chris has an Calendar plugin that will sync with a .ics feed (like google calendar), and you could probably do a script with the Thumb Viewer plugin to grab images from a directory in Wordpress. You'll have to look over those options and consider what might be best :-) David https://btmods.com/chat/

Adam
Aspiring developer
Southern Califo...
02/27/14 08:32 PM (10 years ago)
I downloaded Chris's plugin, but didn't support the 3.0 core so I had to get a refund. I contacted Danny about a thumb gallery script. Do you have any idea on how you make a contact directory to appear on an app? Thanks, Adam

mrDavid
BTMods.com
San Diego, CA
02/27/14 08:35 PM (10 years ago)
Hi Adam, Unfortunately not really, if Chris is not able to update his plugin (I know he has a lot on his plate) you might be able to hire other developers to get the job done. As far as I know, nothing like what you need is available just yet. You can check a small list of developers that you may be able to hire here: https://www.btmods.com (check the drop-down: "Hire for project"). Hopefully someone else responds with another solution, wordpress integration would definitely help out a ton of folk, it's pretty popular ;-) David https://btmods.com/chat/

Adam
Aspiring developer
Southern Califo...
02/27/14 09:04 PM (10 years ago)
I was just wondering about this topic because I have seen job postings where people want their app to connect with their website. The Self Hosting software is already great. I think it would be even better if we could connect the plugins I talked about before to Wordpress sites for example. Thanks for responding David. Congrats on the relaunch of your site. Hopefully more plugin developers and contributors respond to this forum. I would like to hear more input. Thanks, Adam

mrDavid
BTMods.com
San Diego, CA
02/27/14 09:06 PM (10 years ago)
No problem Adam, thanks. Yup let's see who bites. I know Danny is the one with the most experience in this field, but I'm pretty sure he's been busy too. Cheers Adam! David https://btmods.com/chat/

mrDavid
BTMods.com
San Diego, CA
02/27/14 09:11 PM (10 years ago)

Worker73
Android Fan
Reg: Feb 06, 2012
Austria, Klagen...
02/28/14 01:11 AM (10 years ago)
Adam..... Just install an Responsive Template on the Customer Site. Load the Site via "CustomUrl" in your App....

mysps
Code is Art
Reg: May 14, 2011
Palma
02/28/14 02:16 AM (10 years ago)
yeah i use PMSDanny's script and love it! its for Wordpress post only but its great. I guess if you study the script and plugin you could probably work out something so that the calendar could be incorporated. As for photos, I would probably use another solution imo.

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
02/28/14 02:29 AM (10 years ago)
>I was wondering how could I could fetch data from a CMS Wordpress site and then have it sync on an app. As Worker73 said, your app can "read" the site but somehow I get the impression that you did not ask about that. You said: >> For example, say a company has a Wordpress Site with a contact directory, calendar, and a photo gallery. How would I be able to sync the data onto an app? You would sync the data by connecting the app with the server on which the Wordpress site resides. There are many examples in Buzztouch code how to do that, if you are willing to dip into it. Practically all menus offer the capability to read data from the server: you enter an address of server software into the dataUrl field and of you go (in theory). This will require intimate knowledge of JSON in general as well as of JSON in Buzztouch, as that is the format through which apps communicate with the servers and vice versa. The server software will most often be PHP but you can encounter Ruby and Java as well. In case of Wordpress, since it is written in PHP, you would most likely use a PHP script to read the data from the site. This is where the beauty of the vision starts to fade into oblivion. It is difficult to write this kind of apps although it should be standard routine for any app programmer. To get things moving, you would have to make a project first, that is, define what kind of screens your app should have AND which data from the Wordpress server each screen would need. It is good to have a project of that kind before you do anything else and it will come useful if you want to engage an indie developer to help you out. You cannot just say "copy this data from wordpress into the app" as that will confuse the programmer and will result in lost money and resources until the dev finally "gets" what you wanted in the first place. If you are interested in hiring, PM me; I can connect Wordpress with your existing app, or write an app anew, as the case may be. I do Android only, so if you are looking for iOS, I am not your man.

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
02/28/14 02:33 AM (10 years ago)
There is another way to show Wordpress data in an app. There are Wordpress plugins to show each category as an RSS feed; all you would need then would be to use RSS plugins for Buzztouch and connect them into the app. With some care that would make most of the content of a Wordpress site available in the app.

ATRAIN53
Code is Art
Reg: Nov 17, 2011
Chicago
02/28/14 08:08 AM (10 years ago)
Check out this plugin if you want your Wordpress site to spit out JSON: http://wordpress.org/plugins/json-api/

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
02/28/14 07:25 PM (10 years ago)
Along with ATRAIN's recommendation, another option is to use the Jetpack plugin for WordPress. It has JSON support and it is officially supported by the WordPress Company. I am looking forward to trying it out for the Custom Post Types. I've been waiting for that JSON feature foreverrrrrr. It has it now! Just gotta try it out. https://wordpress.org/plugins/jetpack/ -- Niraj

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
02/28/14 07:28 PM (10 years ago)
To see how to make WordPress sing JSON, follow Nick Ray's excellent tutorial on Vimeo https://vimeo.com/48773789

Adam
Aspiring developer
Southern Califo...
03/01/14 01:23 AM (10 years ago)
Thanks to everyone who responded. So, the pretty easy solution for putting your Wordpress posts on a Buzztouch app is using Danny's script. Also, Danny said to use a Flickr plugin on Wordpress to publish the photos on Flickr. From their you can use Flickr's API for the data URL. For the calendar, we probably need a plugin and that supports a .ics URL. The address book or contact directory would probably require knowledge of php and JSON like Dukso said. Tell if their is a way to use David's plugin: https://www.buzztouch.com/plugins/plugin.php?pid=0F0CA02F331CED307D7D023 To connect the contact directory from a website onto a Buzztouch app. Thanks, Adam

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.