Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 21    Views: 357

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 25, 2013
Maine
02/27/14 11:50 PM (10 years ago)

FREE Objective C course from Harvard, for Buzztouch Members

Ok, so it's not just for Buzztouch members, but Harvard is offering a FREE course that focuses heavily on learning Objective C, and it's self paced, so you have until December 31st to complete the course online. Upon completion, you even get a certificate of completion issued by Harvard, which looks great on a resume, app development profile, or even just for bragging rights... (yeah dude... I went to Harvard!). It's technically called "Introduction to Computer Science", but I took this last term and it's 90% Objective C... with a little basic binary/Scratch stuff in the first week, and a little PHP and Java in the last week or two. Family issues prevented me from devoting the time last year to complete it all the way, but I'm enrolled again this term. Doesn't cost anything, so nothing to lose, even if you drop out and decide it's not for you. So far, all of the Objective C that I know has been learned from this course. It's 12 weeks of total material, but we get to do it at our own pace, with no assignment due dates or anything, unlike the poor souls on campus that have to take it in real time, along with their other classes! CS50 even states that you need zero programming experience to take this class and comprehend it's fundamentals. Course info and enrollment link is located here: https://www.edx.org/course/harvardx/harvardx-cs50x-introduction-computer-1022 Furthermore, a few of us Buzztouch members have already signed up for the course, so I put together a study group specifically for Buzztouch members that are taking CS50. If anyone takes the course, join our Buzztouch study group, and we can compare notes and code, offer homework help, answer questions, etc. The link is here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/cs50-for-buzztouch-members (not sure why the href is cutting off the second part of the link... copy and paste the line into your browser) This is not only a great opportunity to learn objective C, but to actually get a certificate of completion from Harvard University... plus, the price is right... it's FREE! I'm not affiliated, nor receiving any kick backs (you hear that Harvard? Go ahead, try to bribe me! lol), just thought a lot of people might find this to be a great opportunity. Plus, the instructor is not dry and boring at all. He's young, energetic, comical, and tons of fun. He even serves cake to the 2000 students in his lecture hall after every class... a luxury we can't take advantage of online, but hey, it's the thought that counts (no... wait... it's the cake that counts.... oh well).

EdReyes
Lost but trying
Reg: Oct 21, 2013
location unknow...
02/28/14 12:47 AM (10 years ago)
Thanks for the info, registered just now. See you in class. Always wanted to go to Harvard. Ed

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Maine
02/28/14 12:49 AM (10 years ago)
We should all get together and drop in for cake one day, lol. Registered CS50 online students are allowed to visit the campus for classes, meetups, or whatever. That would be too funny if like 50 of us buzztouchers dropped in at once and demanded our cake, lol

Moestress
Android Fan
Reg: Feb 12, 2012
Lynwood
02/28/14 02:21 AM (10 years ago)
I love EdX. So amazing. Have only sat in and "watched" classes,but definitely want to atleast get a certificate for all this cursing I am doing, and learning, of course, at the same time! lol

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Maine
02/28/14 02:26 AM (10 years ago)
Yeah, EdX can be hit or miss on their courses. I had originally signed up for a free class on building mobile applications, offered by MIT, and found the instructor soooooooo dry and boring that he was putting me to sleep within minutes. Plus I didn't like the fact that you had to buy the textbook, written by him of course. David Malan that teaches CS50 is the exact opposite. he's funny, full of energy, spontaneous, and entertaining to watch... yet very informative at the same time. And... no textbooks to buy :) Yeah Moestress, if you're going to watch the lectures, at least get your certificate out of it :) They also have walkthrough videos where the teaching staff breaks down David's lectures piece by piece, in case you have trouble understanding the concept behind whatever the assignment is. Adds a few more hours of watching online video, but great for those that don't quite get what David is saying to do when he rushes through something on occasion.

Moestress
Android Fan
Lynwood
02/28/14 02:26 AM (10 years ago)
Oh, and Of course Im not a member just yet. But I will see you in class as well! Possible will bump into someone in the facebook group! :)

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Maine
02/28/14 02:27 AM (10 years ago)
Sounds good, see you there :)

ATRAIN53
Code is Art
Reg: Nov 17, 2011
Chicago
02/28/14 08:20 AM (10 years ago)
Thanks for the link. I've been checking out an Android course someone else posted a few weeks ago. It's difficult to find the time to watch all the lectures and take the quizzes. But even at my own pace I've learned a ton of stuff and they posted some great sample projects to study. It was worth it just for the tip he showed on how to telnet into your Android Emulator. I had no clue you could do that and never would have thought about it - until I watched that lecture. I may do the audit on this one.... ....when March Madness is OVER!

Moestress
Android Fan
Lynwood
02/28/14 08:27 AM (10 years ago)
That's just it Attain! You learned something. I don't believe in taking in what you don't need. Lots of elementary and high school is redundant because kids are being taught things they don't like or eve. Care for. With you atleat having at your pace and at your time and still excited about learning is unbeatable! And lol @March Madness... I feel you on that!

ATRAIN53
Code is Art
Reg: Nov 17, 2011
Chicago
02/28/14 09:03 AM (10 years ago)
That's the real key - wanting to keep learning. The last 20 years have felt like one big continuation of my first Netware 2.0 class :) March Madness - who ya got? This still won't be the year my NU Wildcats make the tourney - but we're getting closer thanks to Collins. I'm all in for DUKE again - which is a school I've always despised - until they started recruiting my hometown boys in Collins, Scheyer and now they have Jabari Parker who is a total BEAST.

Moestress
Android Fan
Lynwood
02/28/14 09:10 AM (10 years ago)
Ahhh im lame. Former ncaa player and don't even follow. Too busy stressing over the Lakers. But I have been keeping my ear to the waves and heard plenty good about duke, auburn, Syracuse... You know usual suspects. Around this time I just look for good clean pure bball. No endorsements, no subway sub of the game, no 60pt Indv. point leaders. Just good college hoops! Wish guys stayed in school to make the ncaa even more beastly. Build a great rep develop mental and physical skills.

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Nov 03, 2011
Oxford
02/28/14 04:02 PM (10 years ago)
Awesome. I signed up in a heart beat.

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Maine
02/28/14 04:04 PM (10 years ago)
Yeah, it's a pretty cool course. Cakebit signed up last night and already went through Week 0, moving on to week 1. He said he's loving it.

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Oxford
02/28/14 05:54 PM (10 years ago)
Pretty cool. I have now washed the first lecture and half of the next lecture. Already excited. It's been a refresh to what I have recently learn't at school, however at school it takes six weeks to cover what he covered in two hours!

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Oxford
02/28/14 06:06 PM (10 years ago)
Here's another course to check out. It was recommended to me by Dervalo but she was recommended it from Kittsy. It's a University of Reading course that will lead you to build an Android game. It's a seven week course, with 3 hours a week. The first week is almost over, so you have to sign up quickly.

Susan Metoxen
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: May 01, 2011
Hopkins, Minnes...
02/28/14 11:42 PM (10 years ago)
Thanks for organizing this, @Angry Ninja! I will probably be joining you all in class. The Android one sounds good too.

Susan Metoxen
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: May 01, 2011
Hopkins, Minnes...
03/01/14 08:57 AM (10 years ago)
I just finished watching the first lecture. It really couldn't be a better class. Even though I have been studying programming for a couple years, the way the professor provides vivid examples are particularly engaging. I am installing the software for the exercises right now. Thank you for arranging this, @Angry Ninja!

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Maine
03/01/14 10:13 AM (10 years ago)
No problem. Yes, the instructor is very engaging and entertaining, and somehow manages to cram in so much information at the same time. Must be something to do with the name David, lol Yeah, once I watch one of the lecture videos, I find myself wanting to watch another. Usually it's the opposite. He has actually made learning objective c fun.

Kristian_N
Code is Art
Reg: Oct 27, 2011
Copenhagen
03/03/14 06:57 AM (10 years ago)
Joined.. Thanks for drawing my attention to this.. Will join FB group, too! Regards, kristian

Moestress
Android Fan
Lynwood
03/13/14 01:45 PM (10 years ago)
I must say I love Professor David Malan and how he teaches. Makes all this stuff sound simple. I watch the lectures and I am like, okay so THATS what they meant! HA... Just love it. Only issue I cant complete PSET1 due to my super old laptop so Ill be upgrading next week so I can complete that PSET . Can't wait! Hope you guys are enjoying it as much as I am!

Moestress
Android Fan
Lynwood
03/13/14 01:45 PM (10 years ago)
Oops, Double Click :)

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Maine
03/14/14 03:12 PM (10 years ago)
Yep, I absolutely love his teaching style. You'll get a lot more "AHA!" moments when he gets into Objective C (well, C at least). I've been procrastinating as well and have not yet submitted Pset 0... but have watched all the videos. Scratch is pretty easy... it gets even more interesting when he gets out of scratch and into C an Pset1

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.