JaySM
Aspiring developer
Reg: Feb 13, 2014
Sebewaing, MI 4...
02/28/14 09:16 AM (10 years ago)

New to BT, utterly frustrated, it should not be this difficult.

I do not intend to be Invidious, but I can't seem to even open the Android download of a most basic app in eclipse. I have installed nearly every download there is to install. It appears to me that any training from any source is outdated. I'm a complete newb to app development, but I'm not an idiot. I'm a mechanical engineer who creates 3d models from a cad drawing as a career, among other tech talents. I need to create a html data app, it's very important to me. Yet I can't even get off the home plate. Where do you get real up to date info? Besides spending the next month searching forum posts.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
02/28/14 09:29 AM (10 years ago)
Hi @JaySM, Sorry to hear that you are having so many issues. I have a YouTube channel with some videos that (1) show you how to set up your environment, and (2) how to import your Buzztouch v3 project files into Eclipse and get things up and running. You can find those here: https://www.youtube.com/user/gonorthwest Give them a look, and let me know if you have any questions. We'll get you worked out! Mark

JaySM
Aspiring developer
Sebewaing, MI 4...
02/28/14 09:34 AM (10 years ago)
Thanks Mark, I will have a look. In fact I have already preloaded one of your videos a few minutes ago. Sincerely, Jay PS I'll return to this post and let you know it worked out, or offer to send the rest of my hair that I have pulled out to Locks of Love.

AuthorAl
Lost but trying
Reg: Dec 31, 2013
Glasgow
02/28/14 10:57 AM (10 years ago)
Hi Jay, I recently joined BT and was doing okay until I got myself lost with the HTML PRO plugin and a few other things regarding html. I had 2 days where my head spun and I was losing the will to live. On the third day I got some sticky post-its, tackled things as logically as I could and made some breakthroughs. I still find I am wading through treacle but the support on this site is immense. Regardless of one's abilities, people are willing to offer up non-judgemental help. BT kinda makes me feel stupid but I see myself going 2 steps forward, 1 back for the foreseeable future. I do wish there was a Newbie section where the common errors, traps are explained and dealt with - perhaps some helpful templates too. If I need to find something out I go to Google and type site:buzztouch.com/forum (then add a keyword such as 'templates') - and often find what I need in previous posts. Cheers Al

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
02/28/14 09:26 PM (10 years ago)
Hang in there, Jay! I understand completely how you feel. In the midst of redocumenting everything there has become a void, and it doesn't matter if 'that's how it's always been done' if you've never done it. Fortunately for me, I stuck with it a bit; I think that BT is, for what it is and can be, is the best thing going. Far too many pluses. But the minuses are sometimes glaring you right in the face. And for me, that's a lack of documentation. But it's being worked on. You're just 'in the vortex'. The friendliness and speed of the forum contributors really helped me, and hopefully you'll stick with it long enough to find out for yourself. Al's Google solution is a good one that works well. Also, an unknown link is the documentation for the old BTv1.5 system (http://www.buzztouch.com/docs/v1.5/). Granted, it's old, but although not 'everything' is valid, 'most' of it is valid, and 'all concepts' are pretty much the same. It's just changed with the platforms that they provide for. Hope this helps a little! Cheers! -- Smug

JaySM
Aspiring developer
Sebewaing, MI 4...
03/01/14 07:38 PM (10 years ago)
Hey Mark, I followed your video completely and everything went well...no errors anywhere. But after I launch the virtual machine and try to run my Android Application I get "No compatible targets were found". I set up the Android VD Manager as per the instruction, yet it's not being detected. So at that point I shut down eclipse and restarted it. Launched the VD and attempted to run an Android Application, but then I get this error "Your Project Contains Error. please fix them before running your application". At first there were no errors, then a minutes or two later I get AndroidManifes.xml file missing. Which it is not. I took couple of screenshots and put them up on one of my websites to look at: http://betterbeemktg.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Capture.png http://betterbeemktg.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Capture-2.png Any idea's what I can do? I'm running buzztouch as self hosted on one of my servers, does that matter at all? Should I just use Buzztouche's control panel instead. Thank You

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
03/01/14 10:48 PM (10 years ago)
Hi Jay, According to the screen shot you posted, the AVD you created isn't at the Android 4.0 API level. Create one using that level, and you should be OK! You can actually edit one of your current AVD's to the correct level. Regarding the manifest file, that is strange. I'd try doing a Project > Clean, and that might take care of the issue. The manifest file is clearly there, so it's not immediately obvious to me why it's being noted as missing. But you can never go wrong with running the Clean command...it often removes errors you're having. Do you have a real Android device with which to test your app? Ultimately that's preferable to using an AVD. Hope this helps! Let us know if you run into any other issues. Mark

JaySM
Aspiring developer
Sebewaing, MI 4...
03/01/14 11:35 PM (10 years ago)
When in the AVD manager, I cannot get any of the devices to work with 4.0 API Level All of them say "No target Selected" In the dialog box at the bottom

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
03/02/14 12:16 AM (10 years ago)
When you go to edit an AVD, or create a new one, in the 'Target' drop-down, do you have Android 4.0 selected? Are you creating a new AVD from scratch, or trying to edit an old one? Mark

JaySM
Aspiring developer
Sebewaing, MI 4...
03/02/14 02:26 PM (10 years ago)
At first I tried editing an existing one, then I deleted all of those and tried to create a new one. Here is the screenshot: http://betterbeemktg.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Capture-3.png

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.