Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 24    Views: 70

amysus
Lost but trying
Reg: Oct 28, 2011
traveling the w...
06/10/16 02:20 PM (8 years ago)

Options Menu for Users?

Hi, Not sure if this is possible, but ... I'm trying to build an app with three paths. I'd like the user to be able to go to a settings page and choose their path. Based on their selection, different content will display. Any chance?

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
06/10/16 05:33 PM (8 years ago)
Anything is possible. Mostly it depends on the developers ability to put it all together. You might want to tie it in with a context menu of 'styles' or 'themes' or whatever 'difference' of path you wish to provide to the user. Once they've made a choice (You'll probably end up using NSUserDefaults again) you could probably employ Stobes 'App Transformer' plugin to facilitate a different configuration. https://www.buzztouch.com/plugins/plugin.php?pid=BD0306290BCC53E0743714F Cheers! -- Smug

amysus
Lost but trying
traveling the w...
06/10/16 05:47 PM (8 years ago)
Oh yeah? I was thinking that that plugin might work - was waiting to hear back from him before I tried it. But maybe I'll just give it a spin. Thank you (once again) Smug.

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
06/10/16 11:51 PM (8 years ago)
I have stobes plugin and I believe it can do what you are looking for. I bought it for an app idea that has not seen the light of day, but I tried it out and it worked for me. You need to have built a couple configure.txt files, each one representing a different app configuration, the plugin it works by swapping them around. Good luck, Alan

amysus
Lost but trying
traveling the w...
06/11/16 07:28 AM (8 years ago)
Thanks Alan. Does that plugin provide a menu or some way for the user to switch, and re-switch configs? And once changed, does the new screen appear under the same tab? (E.g., Tab 1 on default displays X, but if the user changes the config to Y, then Tab 1 displays Y.) Amy

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
06/11/16 08:54 AM (8 years ago)
If I recall correctly, I believe you can link a specific configuration to a menu item (using menus of your choice). So I think yes, as long as you have the navigation right across your configurations. Check out this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3Lye_QqkL4

amysus
Lost but trying
traveling the w...
06/11/16 09:41 AM (8 years ago)
Alan - I watched Stobe's video - perfect! That sounds like exactly what I need and easy to implement, exactly what I need as well, ;-) Thank you for linking me to the video! Amy

amysus
Lost but trying
traveling the w...
06/12/16 11:23 AM (8 years ago)
Hi AlanMac - I have learned that in order for this to work, I have to create three unique, complete, versions of my app in BT. Ugh. This app is growing and becoming huge. Do you know if there is a way that I can simply create one full app and then two other apps that only contain the variation, then combine? That is, I will have about 4 or 5 tabs, but only one of them will lead to content that varies. That is the one tab that I want to allow users to swap. Thoughts? Amy

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
06/12/16 01:51 PM (8 years ago)
I last played with this plugin a year ago and my memory about what I did and what it can do is hazy. I thought you needed multiple configuration.txt files, not sure if you need to have multiple apps though. If my assumtion is correct, you could build the multiple configuration files from the one app, you could save each config.txt somewhere and swap them around that way. But, as I say, I can't remember if that is how it works or how I think it ought to!

amysus
Lost but trying
traveling the w...
06/12/16 01:57 PM (8 years ago)
I'll check it out, thanks again.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
06/12/16 05:09 PM (8 years ago)
Chris1 has a full on 'app copier' that can duplicate applications in your control panel (I think it's for self hosted only). I also have a much less capable tool that copies only screens. When you do multiple languages, you're essentially building a duplicate app, and these tools were built to streamline that duplication process. Chris' app copier is here: https://www.buzztouch.com/plugins/plugin.php?pid=93D709C2D88A587EEBC4A5C the smugcopy isn't zipped, but it is available in a directory here: https://www.marianasgps.com/public/index.php Good Luck! Cheers! -- Smug

amysus
Lost but trying
traveling the w...
06/12/16 07:28 PM (8 years ago)
Smug - much thanks - I will take a look.

amysus
Lost but trying
traveling the w...
06/12/16 08:19 PM (8 years ago)
Smug - what is the item I am looking for in your directory?

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
06/13/16 02:33 AM (8 years ago)
"Smug Copy" Cheers! -- Smug

amysus
Lost but trying
traveling the w...
06/13/16 02:24 PM (8 years ago)
Hi again ... I fear I'm becoming a pest. If so, email me so we can take this offline. Perhaps I need to hire an advisor? As I think through this app again, I realize that all I really need is to 1) figure out how to build my HTML pages from XML, then 2) figure out how to allow the user to switch to a different XML file, perhaps with the aforementioned App Transformer. The assets (audio files and images) are identical, only their combination on a given screen will be different, depending on which configuration they have opted for. Using XML (or similar?) will help keep the app size down considerably too. I first need to learn how to build a webpage with XML ... ahh... but then will return to figure out about how to go giving the user control over swapping those files (with a context menu or other).

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
06/14/16 12:35 AM (8 years ago)
Just curious... Why XML? Are there documents already created in XML? If not, you'll find learning how to format and use 'JSON' files are going to make more sense in the long run. Similar to XML, they are somewhat self descriptive, and organized a bit more logically, imho. But JSON is the config language of Buzztouch, and interacts with pretty much everything we do. Will the app be 'live', meaning, does it obtain it's data from the internet? If so, you might also think about housing your content in a MySQL database, and 'feeding' content via different 'templates' designed to provide a different appearance, layout, whatever... Regardless of your final approach, let us know if you're having troubles, and someone will always jump in to help. Cheers! -- Smug

amysus
Lost but trying
traveling the w...
06/14/16 06:09 AM (8 years ago)
Hi - JSON, huh? OK - I have known about xml for years, worked as a designer (not programmer) with it, so that is what I thought of (but technology moves on ...) I will look into JSON. No, the content will not be live, it will be static (unless we have a version 2 of course). I am having tons of troubles :-) but am trying to learn, and am learning, but there's a lot. If I really get stuck I'll let you know. Not quite there yet ... but I suspect at some point, for some aspect(s) I might call for help. Thank you for all your advice. Amy

amysus
Lost but trying
traveling the w...
06/14/16 08:52 AM (8 years ago)
OK, it's time: Uncle! I give. This is just one too many things for me to learn. Can you suggest someone who might be able to help me, for hire? I am hoping I can still build most of this app myself, but need someone who can get me going on building a webpage that pulls assets from an external list. (There is probably more I will need help with, e.g., how to allow the user to swap config files (or swap JSON files?), but perhaps getting the webpage built from JSON is the first step. Amy

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
06/14/16 10:12 AM (8 years ago)
Hi Amy, don't give up!. Looking back to your first post in this thread, it sound to me that what you want to do is to offer your app user to pick one of 3 choices, each having a different set of pages and separate navigation. Once they pick one, they stick with it. I'm not saying you present this first menu to a user, but in my head, I imagine an initial menu with three options. If you pick option 1, you navigate to a set of pages that represents your first path, option 2 gives you your second path, etc. etc. What I am saying is that if you can represent your three paths this way, and build working pages for each path, then I believe you can do this app without underpinning your pages by xml, json, etc. Yes, there may be some clever hiding or switching around to be done, but if you can viualsie being able to present all your content this way, then I think it is possible. I have this habit of trying to do things the simplest way first, but I may have over simplified. Perhaps the xml/json route might be worthy if you have an awful lot of pages, but I don't know how to do it that way. I'm thinking baby steps first. What do you think?

amysus
Lost but trying
traveling the w...
06/14/16 11:32 AM (8 years ago)
Hi Alan - thank you for your encouragement! This app started as as simple app of 60 audio files. It is now 600 audio files, each with three versions of an accompanying image. So, if I make each unique combination a page I'll have 1800 pages/screens. The pages themselves will be tiny (2k?), and the 1200 assets will be shared (600 audio files and 600 images), but still, it's a lot! Plus, though most people will choose one pathway and stick with it, we do want to allow people to switch back and forth. I was inclined (and hoping) to create a simple version first, but my partner in crime wants the full blown app, or bust. Knowing this ... do you take back your encouragement ;-)

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
06/14/16 12:08 PM (8 years ago)
lol the sentiment stands...

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
06/14/16 07:36 PM (8 years ago)
I have to echo Alan's sentiment. Face it... 60 audio files or 6000 files... when you get down to it, it's just more of the same. Once you have your 'core behavior' set, the rest is just duplication of the same thing over and over. Don't let frustration get you down. That is usually the reason people give up; overwhelming information overload. Just take it once piece at a time. When I first started, I had 'the worlds great new app' on my mind. and one day, I'm sure I'll get it done. At the beginning, I got worked over by a freelance developer and got nothing done. So I decided to try it myself. So during the learning process, I started small. got it working. started bigger. Got it working. and kept moving outward with different technologies needed for my 'great new app'. Some plugins have features I want. Others didn't. I ended up learning how to create a plugin. Frankly, I'm still working on it. But each new app I release (now +12 different apps) has some feature that my 'great new app' will require. And eventually, I'll just 'lego' the great app together from the features I've been building into other apps. And you can do it too. It takes a village. :) Cheers! -- Smug

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
06/15/16 09:36 AM (8 years ago)
Hi Amy 'm trying to understand what you are trying to do, without wishing to be too nosey in case it is confidential. I'm guessing from what has been said so far that perhaps you have three standard alternatives for the way you want to present a music clip and a graphic to go with it. Is that right? Alan

amysus
Lost but trying
traveling the w...
06/15/16 11:02 AM (8 years ago)
Thank you Smug for the encouragement! Can't wait to see your full featured app! Alan, (thank you too for your encouragement) ... Yes that is correct. I can email you perhaps. (Not really confidential, but don't totally want to share with everyone.)

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
06/15/16 12:14 PM (8 years ago)
Sure, feel free to send me a direct message Amy

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.