Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 6    Views: 113

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
01/14/16 02:42 AM (8 years ago)

Smug Climate

This plugin works with an api provided by weatherOnline.com. The excellent documentation has screengrabs that show weatheronline.com version 1 API in the example and weatheronline.com are now on V2 of their API. I've just registered for a key, but weatheronline.com only allow the new key to work with V2. I'm having a problem getting the plugin to work and my theory is that perhaps the plugin is OK with API V1 but not V2? So, I wanted to ask, is anyone using Smug Climate successfully with V2 of the Weatheronline.com API? Are those for whom it works all on V1? TIA, Alan

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
01/15/16 10:07 AM (8 years ago)
I guess my old API key is grandfathered in... I'll see what is up with V2... Cheers! -- Smug

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
01/15/16 10:16 AM (8 years ago)
Thanks Smug If you register for a free key and try it, let me know if V2 it works for you please. My theory on keys is only a theory until somebody can prove it one way or the other! Cheers, Alan

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
01/15/16 10:23 AM (8 years ago)
My 'particular' problem is being at My Mom's house... her internet access stinks, lol! I never thought I'd rather be on Guam for internet access, but it is proving to be a little frustrating... it takes for-EVER for pages to load... sigh... Cheers! -- Smug

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
01/15/16 10:44 AM (8 years ago)
Well, it 'should' work. I'll need to redo some instructions to go along with the current method of obtaining the API key (which has changed) and redo some of the instructions pertaining to the formatting of the URL, but for the most part, once you have your API key, the procedure is about the same. 1) Get your key 2) 'Assemble' your URL request via the new 'API Explorer' 3) Test to ensure valid return of JSON 4) Use that URL, or a Smug Script, to call your weather. Be sure you test your URL 'outside of the app' in a browser, to ensure that you get a valid return. The first couple of times I had syntax issues that kept me from getting valid json (I used coordinates, not a city name.) And as with anything, yell if something still doesn't make sense. Cheers! -- Smug Oh, and I guess I'll need to edit some of the plugin data as well; BT Mods doesn't host those files; I put them on my site... https://www.marianasgps.com/public

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
01/15/16 10:55 AM (8 years ago)
I did try 1-4 as instructed, (see message I sent directly with extra info), especially the browser test. In theory, I thought it should too, but still not sure if the plugin actually works with V2 in practice though...

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
01/15/16 10:59 AM (8 years ago)
Btw, I have a reputation for being able to break software without really trying. In fact I was a tester in a previous life, where I was known to have 'the reverse Midas touch' lol. Alan

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.