Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 2    Views: 50

Kristian_N
Code is Art
Reg: Oct 27, 2011
Copenhagen
12/20/15 12:07 AM (8 years ago)

Course-management: Passed/not-passed function

Hi When I am not trying to make apps, I manage courses for a sports organization (Danish Canoe Federation) in Denmark. We offer courses which normally have 8-12 people on the course. I would like to make an app that would: 1.List the enrolled people 2.Check the attendance 3.Mark who has passed or failed The app could take the list of enrolled people from a csv-file on a server and show it to the instructor. Then the instructor marks attendance and "passed/failed" and stores it in an updated file on the server. The manager (me) could then take the updated file and work on it. I was thinking this would be possible with Chris's webform generator, but am unsure if it will work. Can anyone confirm this is a good choice. Or do you have other suggestions as to which plugin would work? Thanks for any advice, guys! Kristian

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
12/20/15 06:57 AM (8 years ago)
You would need something like the Chris's webform generator, however, it would have to be heavily modified. Currently it reads the data in a JSON form so you would need to produce the input data in that form on a server. There is also a gap from the CSV that you mention across the JSON that would be needed in this scenario. His plugin can send the data to the server, however, currently it sends an email instead of storing it on server, as you request. The manager (you) would also need to access that data on the server, which is another interface to write, and which the webform plugin does not have. What you want is of course possible, just not readily available as a plugin in BT plugins market. If you can code a little bit, try to combine the existing code from various plugins into one solution. Finally, you can always opt for a custom programming solution, which may be expensive but would produce the solution just as you want it.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
12/20/15 07:06 AM (8 years ago)
Sound advice from Dusko, as usual. I'd just like to add that 'if' you're going to need a database connection, the WB_addOns that Susan worked up is a great way to learn how to interact with a MySQL database and BT via a few custom PHP files. All of the examples will load up information from a database and provide json compliant output for the app... of course, with a different end result comes different programming, but the concepts are the same, and easily transferable to what you're doing... once you know what direction you're going to go in... https://www.marianasgps.com/public/wb_addons.zip Cheers! -- Smug

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.