Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 21    Views: 220

Alex@TM
Apple Fan
Reg: Dec 20, 2011
London, UK
11/18/15 04:30 PM (8 years ago)

Where is the support???!!!

Hi all, Whilst, like most old timers here, I am in total agreement with Davids plans for the site. The only concern I have and improvement I feel needs to happen, is that support for plugins needs to be much improved. This will be different depending on the developer but it is Buzztouch's responsibility to ensure developers retain responsibility for their plugin. A concern I have is that some plugin developers have literally 'leached' from github and have no idea how to solve new Xcode version issues. For example.. I need to make an app with the flappy bird plugin. Sure, i can make that, I've made a few before, no problem. I go to load the plugin and the code is broken. I get no response from the 'developer' and notice credit goes to Github. I download the file from there...same code issue. I do not want to pay a membership and pay for a plugin that is a 'there you go...now don't come back'! Incidentally, if anyone has any hep they can offer, this is what is not working...!!! Incompatible block pointer types sending void... - (void) update:(NSTimeInterval)currentTime { [self.children enumerateObjectsUsingBlock:^(SKSpriteNode * child, NSUInteger idx, BOOL *stop) { child.position = CGPointMake(child.position.x-self.scrollingSpeed, child.position.y); if (child.position.x <= -child.size.width){ float delta = child.position.x+child.size.width; child.position = CGPointMake(child.size.width*(self.children.count-1)+delta, child.position.y); } }]; }

krompa
Lost but trying
Reg: Jun 14, 2013
Bristol
11/19/15 05:45 AM (8 years ago)
I have sympathy with your wider point. I guess David has 2 options; - introduce a system whereby plugin developers agree (say every 6 months) to stand by their code. If developers don't agree, then the plugin is removed until they do. - do nothing, and rely on plugin consumers to leave a bad review that informs others of the plugin problem. The latter of the two options above is still available to you (assuming you have allowed appropriate time for the developer to respond). A valid bad review should not be frowned upon by the community. Consumers will soon stop purchasing plugins from a developer who has bad reviews. It doesn't help you with your latest app, but it will help others. As a community, we still have some power, and we should perhaps try to be less reliant on David - particularly with these admin-type tasks. I hope someone can help with your code issue.

Kittsy
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Feb 22, 2012
Liverpool
11/19/15 07:19 AM (8 years ago)
Change SKSpriteNode to SKNode [self.children enumerateObjectsUsingBlock:^(SKSpriteNode * child, NSUInteger idx, BOOL *stop) { to [self.children enumerateObjectsUsingBlock:^(SKNode * child, NSUInteger idx, BOOL *stop) { Xcode 7 is a lot stricter with it's calls

mutzy
Aspiring developer
Reg: Nov 03, 2010
Medford, MA
11/19/15 09:12 AM (8 years ago)
The way I understand it, part of the fee for the new BT will be for David to have time to make new plugins and keep those plugins updated. This is GREAT since it certainly seems that MANY of the plugins on here now were copied from somewhere else, and adapted to BT, but not really supported in the future. I've had several issues with plugins over the past year and even more unanswered emails to the respective plugin developers. I personally have stopped purchasing anymore plugins and am [patiently] waiting for David to unroll the newest edition of BT with some quality plugins (or whatever he decides to call them). Josh

MadRod
Aspiring developer
Reg: Apr 12, 2012
Lisbon
11/19/15 09:20 AM (8 years ago)
Kittsy....is that you??

Alex@TM
Apple Fan
London, UK
11/19/15 09:53 AM (8 years ago)
@Kittsy - Thanks for that. Unfortunately this doesn't fix it, it then throws up more 'size' errors. This is partially fixed with adding frame before each of the size references. Whilst this then accepts the code and the game loads, for some reason it then doesn't count every second score! Any ideas?! Many thanks.

Kittsy
buzztouch Evangelist
Liverpool
11/19/15 10:39 AM (8 years ago)
I've hacked Kittsy's account. My answers may hold more sway now this may not be the only bug in the code What is the repository name on GitHub Although the original creator may not have updated his code another user may have forked it and fixed it them selves

Alex@TM
Apple Fan
London, UK
11/19/15 11:00 AM (8 years ago)
Hi Kittsy. I have tried the github code, same issue. Take a look here. Maybe you'd know how to update the swift code also mentioned in this link? https://github.com/kirualex/SprityBird To be fair to the BT developer, it appears he added a few bits, such as sound. What is odd is that I've had it working before but madrid says this glitch has always been there for him. Thanks again, Alex

Red Dog
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 16, 2011
Southern Califo...
11/19/15 12:40 PM (8 years ago)
Kittsy in the house!

Kittsy
buzztouch Evangelist
Liverpool
11/19/15 12:52 PM (8 years ago)
I've just ran the code from the repository added the fix above and it works counts the score as normal. i can quickly scan your project, just in case the last plugin author made some mods

Alex@TM
Apple Fan
London, UK
11/19/15 01:18 PM (8 years ago)
Thats great thanks! I'll email to you now.. Thanks again.

Alex@TM
Apple Fan
London, UK
11/19/15 01:28 PM (8 years ago)
Sent via gmail. Thanks again.

MadRod
Aspiring developer
Lisbon
11/20/15 02:21 AM (8 years ago)
Lets us know if it worked out, wanna solve it as well. Thanks.

Alex@TM
Apple Fan
London, UK
11/20/15 05:08 AM (8 years ago)
@Madrod - This was fixed by Kittsy in no time at all - obsolute star. I will forward the details of the code fix later when I return home. Cheers Alex

MadRod
Aspiring developer
Lisbon
11/20/15 06:42 AM (8 years ago)
Thanks... Yeah.... thats Kittsy!

Alex@TM
Apple Fan
London, UK
11/20/15 10:31 AM (8 years ago)
Here it is...courtesy of Kittsy! In ML_scene change this line to // Score, adapt font size if(X(topPipe) + WIDTH(topPipe)/2 > bird.position.x && X(topPipe) + WIDTH(topPipe)/2 < bird.position.x + FLOOR_SCROLLING_SPEED){ // Score, adapt font size if(X(topPipe) + WIDTH(topPipe)/2 > bird.position.x && X(topPipe) + WIDTH(topPipe)/2 < bird.position.x + 3.1){

MadRod
Aspiring developer
Lisbon
11/20/15 10:34 AM (8 years ago)
Thanks, I'll try it out.

Alex@TM
Apple Fan
London, UK
11/21/15 03:47 AM (8 years ago)
Did it work for you @madrod?

MadRod
Aspiring developer
Lisbon
11/21/15 10:55 AM (8 years ago)
Haven't tried yet. Will need a few a days. I'll post back. Thanks

fusionsch
I hate code!
Reg: Dec 28, 2010
Montreux Switze...
11/22/15 10:32 AM (8 years ago)
@Kittsy: welcome back, glad to see you around again! @Krompa: both options are bad, IMO... "introduce a system whereby plugin developers agree (...). If developers don't agree, then the plugin is removed until they do" And what does the "plugin consumer" do when he has to update an app for a customer who definitely wants this very plugin??? "do nothing, and rely on plugin consumers to leave a bad review that informs others of the plugin problem" And what about Buzztouch' trustworthiness??? I guess there may be another option: a "commitment convention". If the developer cannot maintain the plugin anymore (and if somebody definitely needs it), the developer should be "forced" to waive his/her rights and give the plugin to Buzztouch. Then, David will decide: upgrade the plugin himself, or hand it to the developer of his choice. Anyway... I guess all this is part of David's current brainstorming and codeweaving... Cheers Jack

MadRod
Aspiring developer
Lisbon
11/27/15 04:31 PM (8 years ago)
Hey, so I tested it out, in my case the counting now jumps from 1 to 3

krompa
Lost but trying
Reg: Jun 14, 2013
Bristol
12/12/15 05:03 PM (8 years ago)
@fusionsch To clarify, Option 1 - the plugin is removed from the plugin store not from the consumers control panel. Thus, app updates are not a problem. The idea is to ensure plugin developers stand by their code. Option 2 - are you saying plugin consumers shouldn't give a bad review if the plugin doesn't work? If so, then I disagree. Of course, the consumer should contact the developer first and seek a code fix, but if a plugin developer has not updated the code to the point where it no longer works (and offers no after-sales support), then future plugin consumers should know this is the case. Why should a potential consumer pay any amount of money for a plugin that doesn't work any more? Surely it is more community spirited to inform others that they will be wasting their money. And I'm not convinced that developers who make a quick buck from repackaging github code with no after-sales support are that community minded / trustworthy.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.