Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 4    Views: 2737

Rachelle-Joanne
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jan 15, 2013
Lagos
10/02/15 08:57 PM (8 years ago)

How to Use a Video as a launch screen or splash screen

Please has anyone been able to use a video as a launch screen or splash screen on both OS and Android. I am trying to implement it on an app I am working on.

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
10/02/15 10:01 PM (8 years ago)
You would need some custom code for that.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
10/02/15 11:29 PM (8 years ago)
Dusko is correct; there isn't anything like that just yet. But if you don't mind playing around with the code, what you want to do is essentially: 1) Make a Splash Screen Plugin use video OR 2) Make a Video Plugin into a Splash Screen If you want your own custom Video code, here is a bit of related info for iOS here: http://www.techotopia.com/index.php/IOS_8_Video_Playback_using_AVPlayer_and_AVPlayerViewController and of course the official apple documentation here: https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/ios/documentation/AudioVideo/Conceptual/AVFoundationPG/Articles/02_Playback.html Android examples here: http://www.androidbegin.com/tutorial/android-video-streaming-videoview-tutorial/ which should allow reading the file from pretty much anywhere. or, in a different direction, you could take a video plugin, and just change the parameters to make it a splash screen. Haven't heard from A-Train in a while, but his AT53 Video plugin 'might' be a candidate. But take it all with a grain of salt; I've never 'done' it, but that's where I'd start if I had to do it. Good Luck! Cheers! -- Smug

Rachelle-Joanne
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jan 15, 2013
Lagos
10/03/15 01:59 AM (8 years ago)
Thank you

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 01, 2010
Monterey, CA
10/03/15 09:59 PM (8 years ago)
Yup, good tips here. In essence every plugin is a UIViewController, which has a "View" property. The Splash Screen plugins are the same thing except they "remove themselves" after a certain period of time. This means you could have a look at the standard Splash screen plugin and see how it removes itself. Then, you could create a UIViewController (fragment for Android) that adds a video to the "view" so it displayed when the app launched. It would them remove itself after a pre-determined amount of time or after the user tapped something. NOTE: Videos tend to take a bit to display. A bit meaning a few seconds sometimes. The time they take to load depends mostly on how large the video is (file size) and where it's coming from. Don't try to load a video in a splash screen that's hosted online. You'll have some bogus results. It just takes to long and your app launch will hang. Add the video to the project so it loads from the apps bundle. Additionally, you'll want to make sure the video is reasonably "short" so it's file size doesn't get out of hand. Quick lanches is the gold standard, dont' let your video splash bog down the launch, users will complain :-)

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.