Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 10    Views: 91

miku
Aspiring developer
Reg: Feb 20, 2014
zagorje ob savi
08/13/15 12:02 AM (8 years ago)

VideoSnap questions

I wonder if wouldn't it be better to output .mp4 video format and not .mov? "Higher 480" recording quality produces same quality as Medium 360. I should have 19 MB file for 1 minute video, but it is only 5 MB (same as 360px). Do you have the same experience?

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
08/14/15 01:56 AM (8 years ago)
Hi @Miku, I'll try and answer your questions as best I can. Taking the first one on file formats first, The following link suggests there won't be any difference as the codec will be sthe same, so if you prefer to call the file an mp4 when you save it (see point 5), that should work. Try that? http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-mov-and-mp4 Also see http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/is-mov-inferior-to-mp4-in-terms-of-video-quality.440910

miku
Aspiring developer
zagorje ob savi
08/14/15 02:56 AM (8 years ago)
I agree: "But outside of the Apple operating system, you might run into some problems. As MP4 is an industry standard, it has greater support in operating systems other than Apple’s.". If I send email to someone outside Apple OS, somewhere works, somewhere not. That's why .mp4 would be better. What about second questions about"Higher 480"? Did you check it?

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
08/14/15 04:14 AM (8 years ago)
Hi @Miku, I'm looking at the code and I can confirm the higher 480 setting actually goes to the default option, so it looks like you found a bug. I think I found that was unstable on some devices and I might just take that setting out. On the .mov/.mp4 issue, I accept your view, to fix it I can simply rename the default in the plugin as I am pretty sure the original default name was with a .mp4 extension. Previously I tested sending .mov files from the plugin to windows and mac machines, they all worked for me and I could not find any compatibility issues. I would be interested to know if you simply rename the video file to be something that ends in.mp4 if that fixes the "somewhere not" cases you have found. Cheers, Alan

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
08/14/15 04:26 AM (8 years ago)
Btw, I have found an easy way of starting with the default camera to be front instead of back. To do this, look at AMG_VideoSnap.m. Around line 476 and 477, change the two instances of PBJCameraDeviceBack to PBJCameraDeviceFront. Then on line 481, change the instance of PBJCameraDeviceFront to PBJCameraDeviceBack. Cheers, Alan

miku
Aspiring developer
zagorje ob savi
08/15/15 01:30 AM (8 years ago)
I will try and let you know. Another question: Trigger Point Timer fields left empty and can't change their settings, all 3 times are always the same. Please, check and try to enter different amounts of time.

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
08/17/15 12:53 AM (8 years ago)
Hi, I have no problem with setting the trigger points on my test app and I just double checked to make sure nothing has changed and I think that whilst the value is correctly saved, it is not displayed in the form correctly when you re-load. Another bug I suspect, I'm working on it now. Thanks for pointing these out @Miku.

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
08/17/15 07:23 AM (8 years ago)
Hi @Miku, I have just uploaded version 1.04 to the market if you would like to try it. I've made the default format .mp4, I've removed the 480 High recording option (too big for emailing anyway) and I tidied up a few things in the control panel that you had spotted. And I've added an option in the control panel that allows you to choose a default start of a recording on the front or back camera. Thanks for pointing these things out. Regards, Alan

miku
Aspiring developer
zagorje ob savi
08/17/15 11:39 PM (8 years ago)
Is video codec for default format .mp4 now used, or you just renamed file extension? I tried on old version just to rename extension, but still on some devices doesn't work. Looks that .mp4 codec should be used.

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
08/18/15 01:14 AM (8 years ago)
As per my original reply, I suspected there won't be any difference, as the codec is be the same, but I do agree mp4 is a more generically accepted container format. FYI, the recording 'smarts' are based on source code that uses Apples AVFoundation classes and that uses H264. The original source code used .mp4 as it's default. As far as I can tell, there only one codec and I just changed any source code defaults from .mov back to mp4. Btw, my understanding is that .mp4 is not a codec, it is the container and I think what goes inside the container is H264 format video. I have never managed to reproduce the compatibility problem you describe. Of course I have no idea what devices show the problem you describe or what the symptoms are, but this link suggests that not all devices can play all mp4 - https://app.zencoder.com/docs/guides/encoding-settings/h264-advanced#unsupported Regards, Alan

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
08/21/15 02:45 AM (8 years ago)
Hi @Miku, just wanted to know if you tried the update? Alan

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.