Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 6    Views: 85

Graham90978
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jul 31, 2014
Dublin
07/30/15 11:32 PM (8 years ago)

Fact of the day style plugin

Hi folks Im looking to make an app that essentially prints you a science fact of the day. It will have a menu screen with a few different science topics and clicking a different one will print a different fact of the day from that scientific field. Well that's the goal anyway! Does anyone know if there is a plugin that will display a message from a list of messages, a different one per day? Thank you in advance!!! Graham

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
07/31/15 03:00 AM (8 years ago)
Any of the menu plugins from the market will enable you to choose a science topicc and then show a different fact of the day. For each option of the menu you can specify the file that will be executed when the option is tapped onscreen. You can, for instance, decide to use a Custom URL plugin and direct it to a file on a server. If you manually change that file on the server every day, you will have what you wanted. In that solution, there would be no need for creating custom plugins but someone would have to change the files every day. It is possible to change the files programmatically on the server, but that would be outside of domain of Buzztouch as an app maker tool. Finally, you could create your own plugin for all this and it would be relatively simple to create it, at least from a general point of view. If you are totally new to Buzztouch, that is not the recommended way to go, however.

Graham90978
Aspiring developer
Dublin
07/31/15 04:25 AM (8 years ago)
Wow that's really helpful! Is there a plugin that can use files saved within the application and display a different one each day. Suppose I have 365 small text files, such that one is loaded each day? I really appreciate all your help on this, as I haven't had a whole lot of experience with Buzztouch apps!

Graham90978
Aspiring developer
Dublin
07/31/15 05:10 AM (8 years ago)
Im not sure where I would find a server, unless buzztouch uses one?

0z2000tv
Aspiring developer
Reg: Sep 10, 2011
Nashville
07/31/15 07:44 AM (8 years ago)
You could use a WordPress Blog to feed a Custom URL Plugin (force refresh). Create the blog (use a responsive theme so it will display on mobile devices) Create 365 (or whatever number)"blogs" that are your daily message Set the Publish Date of each post to the date you want it to display (in WP you can select the date and time you want a "blog page" to be available to the user) When user open your app, your latest blog is displayed. Not sure if the app stores will approve, you may need to add some additional features? Good Luck, Mike

CMCOFFEE
Android Fan
Reg: Jan 04, 2013
Amarillo, Texas
07/31/15 10:07 AM (8 years ago)
Easy plugin to make

Graham90978
Aspiring developer
Dublin
08/02/15 03:32 PM (8 years ago)
I think a plugin would be ideal, but I literally would not know where to start. I like the server idea, and was trying to use dropbox. However the dropbox link doesn't load up the text file right away so I can't use it. Does anyone know any such server that instantly displays a text file? Or would someone write such a plugin and put it on the store?

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.