Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 7    Views: 66

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
07/22/15 09:27 AM (9 years ago)

Trying to upload my first plugin - sorted

OK, this is my first time and I may be doing something silly. I made a plugin and I tested it on my self hosted, uploading it by F T P. Now I am ready to publish throgh my buzztouch hosted panel. I made a zip, but the upload fails. The error is :"Error Un-Zipping Archive. This is sometimes caused by the type of software used to compress the folder before you uploaded it." I tried three different compression packages, both on PC (winrar) and mac (std compression and izip). Then, as a test, I tried to upload the unmodified zip that the plugin creator makes. Even that failed, which makes me think it isn't anything in the zip. I think that points to something external to me. At Susan Metoxens suggestion, I 'm thorowing this out to the community. Has anyone else seen this?

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
07/22/15 09:33 AM (9 years ago)
Just FTP an unzipped folder with plugin files unto /files directory in your self hosted server. Then go to Admin, and refresh your plugins TWICE in a row. Only after the second time will the data for the plugin be written into the database. That's it. Now go to you app, refresh the screen and create a new screen. Find your new plugin by pressing the starting letter of its name.

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
07/22/15 09:48 AM (9 years ago)
Yes, that works for self hosted Dusko. I didn't make one important thing clear, I should have mentioned I am trying to publish to the market, sorry about that,

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
07/22/15 04:32 PM (9 years ago)
Things I forget to mention.... When testing, uploading to my CP didn't work; it also failed to unzip the archive; I ended up unzipping locally and FTP'ing it up to my site. I thought it was because of the odd filename with date. Try recompressing it. I typically use my Mac's 'archive' option, it seems to work ok. Good Luck, and congrats! Cheers! -- Smug

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
07/23/15 01:47 AM (9 years ago)
Thanks Smug, I had changed the name of the zip file to take out the date. I have now made sure my screenshots are called screenshot-1.png, screenshot-2.png etc. I have tried using the Mac's inbuilt compression, I'll go round the loop again. And I'll try uploading on my self hosted as per Dusko's suggestion. Does anyone think that failing to upload the unmodified zip that the plugin creator makes means anything one way or the other? Alan

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
07/23/15 04:28 AM (8 years ago)
Ok, made it! I did discover the upload to my self hosted control would only work from my Mac and not from my PC. I also proved the std Mac compression utility works just fine. The most significant thing I changed was was to go through all the control panel configuration html files that I bundle with the build and I removed any underscores in the title. Last thing I had to fix - I found that the upload reported successful, when it wasn't. The clue was the icon never changed from the default '?'. I discovered that the plugin creator default' version was not over-written until I incremented the version number in the upload. Maybe something I did? Anyway, I am not entirely sure what I did that made the difference, but job done. Thanks for all the encouragement and suggestions, I find it gives a little lift just when you need one. Alan

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
07/23/15 07:02 AM (8 years ago)
Great, and thank you for posting back, so that we can learn how to do it properly.

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
07/24/15 12:38 PM (8 years ago)
I made a minor packaging error and had to update the plugin today. It took me ages, but I finally worked out why it would not upload before. My upload file is AMG_VideoSnap.zip. If I don't create it from a folder called AMG_VideoSnap, it refuses to upload. I call the folders something else (e.g. VS_24June) and thought it was OK to just zip the contents and rename the archive. No, that would be too easy lol! Took me over an hour to figure that out!

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.