Discussion Forums  >  Suggestions, Ideas, Wish List

Replies: 10    Views: 264

KozmoWeb
Aspiring developer
Reg: Dec 08, 2012
Sarasota, FL
08/10/14 10:00 AM (9 years ago)

App.io demos going away - is there a replacement?

Hi, I've used App.io to promote a couple of apps, but just saw on their blog that it is going away: http://blog.app.io/hello-appio-ads/ No more online embeds of apps. Bummer. Does anyone know of a replacement product? I'm really surprised that this is going away as it is a fantastic service. Couldn't they spin it off? Monetize it somehow? William

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
08/10/14 10:21 AM (9 years ago)
Bummer! They had a competitor, whose name I forgot. That company went out of business a year ago. I am still surprised that Apple has not bought their app streaming technology. Perhaps Apple has created their own in-house solution in the form of iOS 8 and Yosemite having the capability of streaming the app's screen onto a Mac. -- Niraj

Cakebit
Code is Art
Reg: Dec 15, 2010
In your local b...
08/10/14 05:43 PM (9 years ago)
@Niraj Shah, You should build a replacement :D Get a couple Mac-Mini(s) and run OSX Server on them... stream that to a web backend... Sounds like a fun challenge! -Cake http://buzztouch.me/chat/

WolfTimJ
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Feb 20, 2011
Rockwall, TX
08/11/14 02:26 PM (9 years ago)
Just got an email from one of the principals. They said they will continue to support enterprise accounts for a mere $2,500/month. Nice. Tim

MacApple
Apple Fan
Reg: Oct 25, 2010
USA
08/11/14 05:17 PM (9 years ago)
Just the $2,500? I'll get one for me and the good lady then. Sheesh.

WolfTimJ
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Feb 20, 2011
Rockwall, TX
08/11/14 05:30 PM (9 years ago)
I was about to reply with another wisecrack but... what about a Buzztouch sponsored somehow limited account? Have no idea how this might benefit them but if someone could sell that premise to them maybe we can get some limited access as a Buzz member... Tony....?

mickeyb1ueeyes
Android Fan
Reg: Aug 12, 2014
SLC
08/12/14 03:37 PM (9 years ago)
I was using app.io in a slightly different way, mainly because another option has not been available. We have a large customer support workforce who receives questions about our mobile apps. We do not have the hardware capability to run Android and iOS SDKs with simulator/emulator capabilities on every agent's workstation. We also do not have the budget to purchase an iPhone and Android device for every agent. Enter app.io (for iOS) and Manymo (for Android). Both app.io and Manymo support cloud-based emulation of a mobile app. Our Agents can use our app just as it is used on a mobile device. Now the app.io demo product is going away, and Manymo still does not support iOS emulation. Does anyone know of a replacement product out there for running iOS app simulations in the cloud?

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Cerritos
08/12/14 06:28 PM (9 years ago)
You can use http://MacInCloud.com and run the iOS Simulator on it. -- Niraj

mickeyb1ueeyes
Android Fan
Reg: Aug 12, 2014
SLC
08/14/14 08:07 AM (9 years ago)
Thanks, Niraj. I've looked at this service as well as DeviceAnywhere. Unfortunately, they do not scale to the size of the CS workforce we are supporting. app.io's model was preferred since you are accessing virtual environments as opposed to physical devices. Seems silly to discontinue a unique product like this. I hope someone fills the market need quickly. (*ahem* Manymo!)

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Cerritos
08/14/14 09:08 AM (9 years ago)
I bet that MacInCloud is using Virtual Machines running on Mac hardware. I understand your wanting it to be easy as App.io, a web link does just fine :-) Best wishes and let us know your discoveries! -- Niraj

appetize
Lost but trying
Reg: Oct 18, 2014
Cambridge, UK
10/18/14 11:59 AM (9 years ago)
Hi guys, New here, but I was actually a user of app.io myself and when they shut down the demo pages I decided to build a replacement myself. Hope you guys like it, and please let me know any feedback. We'll continue to optimize speed and quality over time. Website is https://appetize.io Cheers, john [at] appetize [dot] io

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.