Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 8    Views: 74

Alex@TM
Apple Fan
Reg: Dec 20, 2011
London, UK
05/25/15 01:32 PM (9 years ago)

iPad Story Book Plugin

ey all, Has anyone used this plugin? What i would like to know is, is it easily customisable for iPhone? Cheers! Alex

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
05/25/15 06:40 PM (9 years ago)
The caveat here is that I don't have this plugin. But looking at the included files, I suspect the only 'customizing' that will be required, is the recreation of a xib file for iPhone; iPad is included. With that said, I suspect the reason Stobe made this for iPad only, is the 'real estate' implications; hard to make a decent book with an iPhone sized screen. But... if that is what you want, or your needs are a little different, but the solution works, then it shouldn't be too hard. Just create the xib, set the class, and duplicate and 'tie' the UI elements to the class. Just my 2¢ Cheers! -- Smug

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
05/25/15 11:00 PM (9 years ago)
Several thoughts on modifying it such that it's ready to use 100% via Control Panel To make it be acceptable for any size iOS device, I would modify it to get rid of storyboard. Just do the layout of the buttons and background image in code. On the Control Panel, one would specify the x,y,h,w parameters for each of the buttons (left-right-menu-interactive). The JSON-based approach makes things more flexible for the User. Getting rid of storyboard reduces confusion and mistakes by the novice programmer. Which then reduces the amount of questions we have to answer on the forum :-) I'm going to buy this plugin to learn how Stobe implemented the swipe gestures. -- Niraj

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
05/25/15 11:07 PM (9 years ago)
Swipe gestures are probably implemented via the xib/storyboard objects (similar to text fields, labels, imageViews, etc...) And I agree with Niraj; it would be better 'in the long run' to do it via code. But the 'easiest' way would be creating another xib. Cheers! -- Smug

LA
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 16, 2012
Jerseyville, IL
05/26/15 04:49 AM (9 years ago)
Good question here! I have a children's book I wrote, there plugin for a book? Android mostly. @Alex: Don't mean to high jack this post sorry!

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
05/26/15 07:44 AM (9 years ago)
It's all fairly simple for you to create in Android, LA. I know you can do it :-) Put up a different full-screen background image for each page of the story. Within each background image, the Prev, Next, Menu buttons are already part of the artwork. Look at the sample page that Stobe created for his Story Book plugin. https://www.buzztouch.com/files/plugins/ipad_story_book_page/screenshots/screen-1.png Overlay three transparent buttons onto the coordinates of the Buttons. Specify button handlers for each button. The Next button takes you to loadScreenWithItemId. The Previous button takes you to the previous screen, which you can extract from currentScreenData. The Menu button takes you to loadScreenWithNickname. As a bonus, you can add in the swipe gestures for Next and Prev actions. Voila! You have your Android equivalent of the Story Book plugin. -- Niraj

LA
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 16, 2012
Jerseyville, IL
05/26/15 07:52 AM (9 years ago)
Will try thanks @Niraj! LA

Alex@TM
Apple Fan
Reg: Dec 20, 2011
London, UK
05/28/15 09:08 AM (9 years ago)
Thanks guys. The book i'm publishing will be in portrait only, i'll assume thats ok, just lock it as such in Xcode. I never use storyboard, will it be much of an issue removing it? Thanks again!

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
05/28/15 08:05 PM (9 years ago)
It shouldn't be too much of a problem, but any UI controls/features that are built into the xib/storyboard will need to be replicated in code. Not a big deal, but a must do. Cheers! -- Smug

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.