Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 8    Views: 89

Nicks App
Code is Art
Reg: May 21, 2014
Las Vegas
05/20/15 04:54 PM (9 years ago)

Location Map v1.3

Nice to see you all again. Between May - August 2014, I wrote my Travel Map App, tested it, published it on Amazon.com and Google Play. Been making sales ever since. I submitted it to Apple, and was rejected because my App "lacked entertainment value". I got kind of depressed about Apple - having bought my first Mac in 1984. I spent $4,000 to update my MacMini, iPhone, iPad and MacBookPro network four months prior in April 2014.. So now it is a year later, May 2015, and I am getting e-mails from Apple and BuzzTouch to renew my memberships! At first, I was not motivated, because the App sells on Amazon and Google, and the brains of my Travel Map App is the Config.txt file - with all the locations. The rejection message from Apple has eaten at me since, to the extent that two days ago - having received one too many nag e-mails from Apple to spend another $99 - I "appealed" the rejection, with a message that combined two thoughts: 1) A 1% vs 99% lament that I've never made a purchase decision about Mac hardware or software based on its "entertainment value," and 2) the App Store should only test the App to make sure it works and that the App doesn't contain any malware. Within a few hours, I got a response! First, they retreated on the "entertainment value" item! They did sustain an item because one thing makes my App look broken. With the Location Map plugin, the data that I assign to the line of text displayed in the bubble does not word-wrap into multiple lines if needed. I give that field the "address" of the location, and on the one they clicked on, the text got truncated part way through the Post Code, and Apple doesn't like that. I guess I don't either, but... I'm wondering if Location Map 1.3 addresses that? I assume not, because I am not finding that mentioned in the update info on the Location Map plugin description. If I fiddle with my code that creates my config.txt file, to shorten the text displayed so that it fits (limit to a max number of characters), does that affect the subsequent tap that brings up "Driving Directions"? Would driving directions still work if I limit the address to say 30 characters? Again, my App works. From what I am reading, Location Map 1.3 is March 2015, when I made my App in May 2014, a couple of revisions prior. It looked like some updates were Android only, and were more about Android Studio. I'll leave this at this point, and see what others have to say.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
05/20/15 05:39 PM (9 years ago)
I don't know how many locations you have, so it may not be worth your time... But as long as you have (correct) coordinates for each location, driving instructions will work fine, regardless of your address line contents. Hope this helps! Cheers! -- Smug

Nicks App
Code is Art
Las Vegas
05/20/15 06:38 PM (9 years ago)
Awesome! You're saying Driving Directions are based on Lat/Lng, not text... of course! Thanks for focusing me on this!!

Nicks App
Code is Art
Las Vegas
05/20/15 06:50 PM (9 years ago)
The 2nd thing Apple is concerned about is that "Driving Directions" opens the native Map App. Of course this is what I want! As a user, if i like Google Maps, and am used to using Google Maps, I don't want an App trying to do its own thing. She said Apple likes Apps to be self-contained. I don't. Now that Smug focused my dilemma about the display text in the bubble, I will state that in my next "Appeal". Since I create the config,txt file, containing all of the locations, via a PHP script that outputs config,txt text, I can easily abbreviate "Avenue" to "Av", etc., just as phone books do.

Nicks App
Code is Art
Las Vegas
05/20/15 09:22 PM (9 years ago)
What do others think about "Driving Directions"? In-App or Native App?

Nicks App
Code is Art
Las Vegas
05/20/15 09:24 PM (9 years ago)
BTW, I have been a Member for 2 years, 2012-2013 and 2014-2015. But, maybe non-consecutive years don't count.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
05/21/15 08:35 AM (9 years ago)
I'm not entirely sure where your reviewer is coming from. If 'Apple wants all apps to be self contained' they would have kicked back all my apps. Having navigational ability within the app is a *big* deal, and if it were easy to do, I would have done it already. It is still on my bucket list of features, but for the moment, like everyone else, I utilize outside apps to assist with this. That usually means Google. I know Apple is making tools for directions a little easier, but until I get their maps working pristine for my area (Guam) it's a no-go for me. Ask the reviewer to consider the technical challenges involved in including driving directions 'within' the app... or better yet, just resubmit and get a different reviewer; this one sounds tough and inexperienced. A Dangerous combo. Cheers! -- Smug

Nicks App
Code is Art
Las Vegas
05/22/15 12:14 PM (9 years ago)
I agree! Thanks!

LA
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 16, 2012
Jerseyville, IL
05/24/15 07:24 AM (9 years ago)
Submit it again...depends on the reviewer...I had one get rejected then resubmitted and was approved and I did not do anything different..lol LA

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.