Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 11    Views: 104

tompos
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 19, 2013
Würzburg
05/07/15 08:08 AM (9 years ago)

Updating an app via an RSS feed...?

Hi, I am currently producing an app for a client who wants to update the app content rather regularly (something like "daily news"). While it might be possible to do that via the Buzztouch control panel, I am looking for a simpler solution (the client will not use Buzztouch directly...). So I thought about using an RSS feed. My client might be able to post the new content as a blog post (with the option to include an image etc.) by some standard blogging app... Of course, this is possible... the only concern is that the major purpose of the app for my client is to provide exclusive information to the users in order to position himself as an expert. So he might not be happy if the information is freely available. Here is my question. Anyone had a similar situation? I see several options - I might set up a web server who handles these posts... the dataURL might point to this server... It would be under my control, but might be much too complicated - Is there a way to "hide" e. g. a Wordpress blog, but access the posts anyway? I would just take the content of the post and format it an a way that fits the design of the app. - I do not know whether this could be done via a specific SDK (e. g. Socialize). Perhaps I will include the Socialize SDK in the app anyway, but from my current understanding of Socialize this is a way to communicate between users, not to modify the content of the app... Any idea? Best wishes Thomas

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
05/07/15 08:22 AM (9 years ago)
>provide exclusive information to the users in order to position himself as an expert So his information must be hidden behind a password. >It would be under my control, but might be much too complicated This is probably the best solution. There is no need for this to be overly complicated, although it might well end up so. > "hide" e. g. a Wordpress blog Not really, it is made to be published and seen. >access the posts anyway Of course, but that is more or less leading to the first solution -- your own server. What really is the problem with RSS feeds? They are just files (or are generated dynamically, but the result is a file again), and if someone learnt the address of that file, well, they would have free access to the information. And way too many people know all about WordPress for this to be a secure solution. There are companies that specialize for apps backend, I haven't used any of them so I cannot speak from real experience. Maybe someone else on the forums has?

tompos
Veteran developer
Würzburg
05/07/15 08:31 AM (9 years ago)
Thanks, Dusko! Your response is very clear... and it reflects my gut feeling that Wordpress might not be such a good idea. Usually I come up with much too complicated solutions, but this would be too simple ;-). I have not used such backend solutions yet, too, but I just found this on Ray Wenderlich's site (always a great source of information...). http://www.raywenderlich.com/20482/how-to-choose-the-best-backend-provider-for-your-ios-app-parse-vs-stackmob-vs-appcelerator-cloud-and-more Thanks again Thomas

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
05/07/15 01:43 PM (9 years ago)
Hi Thomas I normally try to work out the user experience I want and work backwards from there. Setting up a blogging solution using something like wordpress sounds like a pretty good way of doing it to me. It sounds like your main issue would be maintaining a little privacy on the information. One option is not to make the blog public. The URL would not be revealed by the app if you use the RSS plugin, so the only visibility of the 'news' would be via the app. If on the other hand you need password protection, that would be do-able, the user would need to have a login and it's a bit more hassle. Alan

tompos
Veteran developer
Würzburg
05/08/15 12:46 AM (9 years ago)
Thanks, Alan. This is an interesting perspective. You are right, the decision will depend on the specific situation. In my context the information should be "exclusive" as my client wants to give his clients a reason to download the app. If they could find it on his blog... he would have the impression that people would see his app as "nothing special", just a copy of his blog content. Just to clarify... by saying "not to make the blog public" you do not mean an active technical step (what I had described as "hide"), but a passive attitude to not point anyone to this blog? Thanks Thomas

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
05/08/15 02:00 AM (9 years ago)
Hi Thomas The users of the app would not need to know there is a blog behind the content, all the presentation of content is in the app alone. By not public, I mean that the blog is on the internet, but nobody knows the url for it, except you and your customer. You would use the url in the rss plugin in your app, but the plugin does not expose the URL to the users, so the end users never discover it. You can also take steps to prevent the blog being crawled and publicised by search engine robots. It's known as "security through obscurity".

buzzbt
Android Fan
Reg: Nov 14, 2011
las vegas
05/08/15 09:34 AM (9 years ago)

buzzbt
Android Fan
Reg: Nov 14, 2011
las vegas
05/08/15 09:47 AM (9 years ago)
Sorry for posting not BT app, if this help my friend use this app for his client it comes with admin panel his client can manage his category from his admin panel. http://codecanyon.net/item/android-news-app/10771397

Susan Metoxen
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: May 01, 2011
Hopkins, Minnes...
05/08/15 09:58 PM (9 years ago)
I think you should have him update on your self hosted server. That way you have the code built in. smug wimp and I have a nice starter package of client friendly screens for entry.

CMCOFFEE
Android Fan
Reg: Jan 04, 2013
Amarillo, Texas
05/09/15 06:41 PM (9 years ago)
You could have add some lines of code to restrict access to the wordpress news page.theres wordpress plugins to turn your news feed into an rss feed. This plugin could help a little, still would need to add the mentioned features though: https://www.buzztouch.com/plugins/plugin.php?pid=EF1AA98408AA4E656C3F7BD" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">https://www.buzztouch.com/plugins/plugin.php?pid=EF1AA98408AA4E656C3F7BD

tompos
Veteran developer
Würzburg
05/10/15 12:53 PM (9 years ago)
@AlanMac Yes, I could prevent search engines from crawling the blog and this might be enough. An entirely private wordpress blog would be too complicated as the readers must have their own wordpress account in that case. @buzzbt Thanks, there are lots of options to post to such a blog. As my client is an iPhone user I would choose one of the iOS options for him. Thanks again! @Susan This sounds interesting. You mean that your Buzztouch control panel is easier to maintain for a client because the user interface is clearer...? I had shown the Buzztouch interface to my client... and he was not too enthusiastic about it... E. g., it started with the english language for a german client. He speaks english, but all those "technical" english expressions confused him. Might be interesting to see a more user-friendly interface... @CMCOFFEE Thanks, that's what I had in mind when I asked the question, a wordpress blog that I could easily import as an RSS feed. PSDanny's plugin may be a very good help for this solution. Thanks! Thanks for all your help. I guess that I have to discuss the level of "security & obscurity" with my client. In any case, I learned a lot from your responses, thanks! Thomas

Susan Metoxen
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: May 01, 2011
Hopkins, Minnes...
05/10/15 04:51 PM (9 years ago)
What is cool about it is that you can make an Add-on in any language. I used it for the Twin Cities Film Fest, and the data entry is much simpler because the user is just adding to a database of films. They aren't adding app screens. Here is a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swem_F4llKk Smug has added to this.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.