Discussion Forums  >  Grunts, Groans, Complaints

Replies: 15    Views: 112

CritterLes
I hate code!
Reg: May 13, 2011
The Woodlands
04/06/13 01:36 PM (11 years ago)

Can a Non-Pro really create an app for Apple?

I wrote an app for the Android and I'm getting a good response but when I look at Apple it just doesn't make sense. It's a paid app but is has some customization for most every purchaser. Wouldn't this mean I would have to get every variation approved as a new app? I also wanted people to have the ability to give this app to other people. My understanding is all Apple apps have to come phone the Istore unless the phone is rooted. Apple seems to be very pro user but dictatorial towards developers. Apple says Buy my dev tools, get approved by my company, sell only through my company. No wonder they are made in China, their whole approach is Communistic. If I am wrong then tell me a way around it.

MadRod
Aspiring developer
Reg: Apr 12, 2012
Lisbon
04/06/13 02:35 PM (11 years ago)
Hey, the apple developer program allows you to install in about 100 devices an app, without going through app store. Cheers.

CritterLes
I hate code!
The Woodlands
04/06/13 03:15 PM (11 years ago)
MadRod, I'm new to Apple so please bear with me. So you are saying I can install my new app, unapproved from Apple into 100 different phones before I have to get it approved? If that is correct, is there a procedure doc telling how to install it to these phone? Thank you very much, this has been an uphill battle

MadRod
Aspiring developer
Reg: Apr 12, 2012
Lisbon
04/06/13 03:36 PM (11 years ago)
Hey, so you have to pay to become an apple developer. After that you can post into the app store apps pending apple's approval. Never the less, apple allows you to install apps in up to 100 devices, without going via app store. You need to configure you provisional certificates with the unique info each device, the UDID. Then you can either install an app, like if you were installing it for testing, or just share it with your colleagues.

CritterLes
I hate code!
The Woodlands
04/06/13 03:44 PM (11 years ago)
I understand about paying to be a developer and getting the development tools. The challenge I have is I want to write specific app for each business and they will give it to customers for free. It may well be more than 100. There just doesn't seem to be an Apple model to distribute Apps to specific groups of users above 100 but probably less than 1000. This is so easy in Android.... I don't really want to loose tha Apple segment but I'm having a hard time finding a way around it. Thanks madRod

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
04/06/13 04:57 PM (11 years ago)
Apple is pretty rigid about the 'standards' of the apps which go through the app store. If your app 'needs modification' then it's NOT going to get approved; everything has to 'work' as far as they are concerned. 'Corporate Developers' can have more than 100 devices. But you're paying for that. If this is a viable solution for you, check out the requirements for corporate development. The 100 device limit on 'normal' developers isn't so we can distribute apps without going through the app store; it's so we can test on a wide variety of devices 'before' we submit. Yes, you can distribute your apps to those 100 devices, but I don't think that's going to work forever. If you want to distribute 'custom' apps for a company, you'll have to build that app, test that app, and submit that app to Apple for approval. It may or may not get approved, and you may have to go back and insert some Apple 'magic' (more 'wow' factor) to get it approved. They don't seem to care if you 'only want this group' to use your app. If they don't like it, it doesn't get approved. The only 'certain' way around this is corporate developer membership. Cheers! -- Smug Edit: just a note... If you opt for corporate developer, remember that it doesn't mean your apps will get into the app store; if you want that, you 'still' have to have it approved by apple. Corporate development is more for places like Dell or HP, where a company has a huge group of employees that they want an 'internal' app for their use. If you try and use a corporate developer membership to distribute a bunch of apps, you still have to get their UID and provision them (provide each device with a certificate that allows them to use your app). It's not a simple task if the numbers are going to be over 100....

CritterLes
I hate code!
The Woodlands
04/06/13 05:07 PM (11 years ago)
Apple seems to be very anti-little guy....and anti American...Sooner or later someones going to break the roadblock....

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
04/06/13 05:26 PM (11 years ago)
I dunno... the word 'snob' is what always comes into my mind... Cheers! -- Smug

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
04/06/13 08:34 PM (11 years ago)
My understanding of your scenario: A. You write a custom app for a Client B. The Client then uses the custom app C. You modify the App for Client #2, 3, ... 1. For each of your clients, to whom will they be distributing their version of the custom app? In other words, who are the Users? Are those Users working working that Client's business? 2. Are the Users actually Customers of the Client's business? Based on the answers, this is your route: 1. Users of the App are internal to the Client's business --> each Client should get the $299 Enterprise Developer account with Apple. Then you can use their Certificate to generate an "In-House" certified app for that Client. The App is placed on an internal Web Server within that Client's business. Users download the App from that internal Web Server (not the Apple Store). The App gets installed directly onto the iOS Device via an Over-The-Air method or via iTunes-to-a-tethered-Device. 2. Users of the App are both internal and external to the Client's business. They are Employees and Customers of the Client's business. Then the Client must get a $99 Developer Account with Apple to publish the App onto the Apple Store under their business name. Alternatively, the Client can ask you to publish the App onto the Apple Store under your (business) name. Either way, because the Users are external to the Client's business, the App must be published onto the Apple Store. The Enterprise in-house distribution license does not apply for this scenario. In summary, the critical question is "Who are the Users of the App? Are they solely within a Business or are they in the Business and also external to the Business?" Does this make sense? Life gets much simpler once you understand those basic questions and the paths of implementation. It boils down to which Apple Developer license applies to your Client situations. Don't fret about things such as "That is not the way Google does it". You'll drive yourself crazy in doing such comparisons. Instead, strive to understand each platform and how the licensing applies to your Clients. I'll be glad to answer more questions. Help me learn your situation, ask away! :-) -- Niraj

CritterLes
I hate code!
The Woodlands
04/06/13 08:49 PM (11 years ago)
Thank you for the explanation Niral. I write an app for one business and that business gives the app to their customers. I modify that app for another business and they give that app to their customers. And so on and so on... The funny thing is both fees are more than I plan to even charge for the app. It's not that hard but it is efficient and get a job done. I live in the US and I am surprised that Apple does not support the Free market Capitalism that allowed it to grow an flourish. I do appreciate your detailed input. Les

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Cerritos
04/06/13 09:42 PM (11 years ago)
@Les, glad to be of help. There are always two sides to a coin. Your dislike of "the Apple way" has led to a marked difference in quality between the Android apps and the iOS apps. It takes longer to go through Apple's Quality Assurance process. Yet, the outcome is usually a good result for the end-user. Cheers! -- Niraj

CritterLes
I hate code!
The Woodlands
04/06/13 09:44 PM (11 years ago)
Niraj, you sound pretty knowledgeable about this and I may have made an assumption that Apple is the same as Android in one aspect. When I make an app in for Android if I use a database structure in the app and I allow the user to insert some configuration, that changes his app. I.E. I have a field where he enters his address so every time the app starts his address pops up. Now if it were possible for him to give this free app to someone else, when they installed it, the address field would be blank. There is no way I know of to attach a file to the APK installation. I have to hard code any specifics I want to use in the app before I give it to the first user. Does Apple work the same way as Android or can an apple app call an outside config file upon the activation of the app? Therefore pre-loading data into the app database. Les

CritterLes
I hate code!
The Woodlands
04/06/13 09:50 PM (11 years ago)
Niraj, I love the two sides approach, balance is always best. That being said our free market system gives any app balance because it is the users that judge for themselves what is best for them. One person may not like the looks of the app but loves the functionality. Another may find the app sadly lacking for what they need. The individual decided to buy or pass on the app, it's not a huge company dictating their view of what is best for the lowly user. It's like take what we give you and like it or not, that's what you can have. That's just not the way our society works. I have learned so much about the politics of Apple since I started this project. Interesting discussion. Les

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Cerritos
04/06/13 10:22 PM (11 years ago)
@Les -- I agree, Users are generally accepting of low-standard stuff. I've published low-standard apps onto the Apple App Store, grimacing each step of the way. Yet it was not my handiwork, I was merely the publisher. And the Users were generally content, there was no rioting in the halls of the users. :-) @Les -- BuzzTouch might be a good way for you to implement your scenario of a "custom address value" for each User's app. You might use custom JSON files for each Client. The right JSON file gets used based on what the User inputs on the initial splash password screen. As David Book, the BuzzTouch founder often says, "there is many ways to solve it". @Les -- Now that you have an understanding of "the Apple way", start a different forum post asking your question about customization for Clients (or for each user?). Describe your scenarios in details. Lets figure this out! :-) -- Niraj

WolfTimJ
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Feb 20, 2011
Rockwall, TX
04/07/13 05:20 AM (11 years ago)
I don't believe that any aspect of the history of Apple or it's founders purports to subscribe to any semblance of free market capitalism, but they made it work anyway. Yes to your original question. I am not a pro, never was, did this for fun and to give my employees a tool to use at work. Now I have a side business doing this for other companies. If you can do one for Android, you can do one for Apple. Tim

CritterLes
I hate code!
The Woodlands
04/07/13 06:02 AM (11 years ago)
Thanks for the encouragement Wolf. I guess it's just so frustrating having outside limits place on me. I've worked with computers since 1984 and the reason they grew so popular was because of people stretching the envelope and going beyond the current established rules. Creativity is stifled by rules. thanks Niraj, I will read up on JSON and see if it fits my model. You talked about low-standard software. That is all in the users perception. Just because Apple doesn't think it is up to their standards doesn't mean they are right for everyone. Remember those 2 side of the coin. Right is just right for the person making the decision. A majority doesn't necessarily make it right. Thanks Les

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.