Discussion Forums  >  Images, Documents, File Locations

Replies: 7    Views: 370

vonZiegler
Code is Art
Reg: May 21, 2013
Craigmore, Sout...
07/30/13 04:18 AM (10 years ago)

Do I have to move an HTML file into BT_Docs manually?

Hi, I am using an HTML Doc screen, and I have uploaded the HTML file I want it to show to the Documents folder of the App. BUT, after downloading, the plugin kept saying "didn't know what to display", until I moved a copy of the file into the BT_Docs folder. How do I get BT to package this up so the app can access the file without the manual copy step? Regards, Tony

Dkeller
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 18, 2011
Saint Augustine
07/30/13 06:08 AM (10 years ago)
If i remember correctly, uploading the documents into BT will package them in the source code you download. If you add them after downloading the code, the code has no idea it is there. My advice is to just add them to your BT_Docs folder in Xcode/Eclipse. It'll make thing a lot easier on you! :-)

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
07/30/13 02:50 PM (10 years ago)
Actually I'm afraid that BT will not package them for you. HTML Files, Images, and other resources will need to be manually included in your project. BT_Docs is where documents are 'suggested' to live, although they don't have to. Ensure you're adding documents into the project, not merely copying them. That also plays a part. Cheers! -- Smug

vonZiegler
Code is Art
Craigmore, Sout...
07/30/13 05:07 PM (10 years ago)
Thanks for the replies! DKeller - yes, I added the document BEFORE downloading, but it simply was not packaged up into the ZIP file. SmugWimp - I understand what you are saying. That leads to a new question - if BT doesn't package the files, then what is the point of uploading them? Regards, Tony

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
07/30/13 05:20 PM (10 years ago)
I've often pondered that myself. :) It allows for people to organize the resources in the application before assembling the application. You can pre-populate the plugin variable fields with the correct nomenclature, which sometimes is a task for the syntax challenged. Also, although it doesn't include the files with your project, it 'does' allow you to download a zipped bundle. This is useful for folks like me that throw a million resources into a project, and end up using 3. it helps me to keep things a little more organized than I am capable of now, heh. For folks who've been around the programming block once or twice, it seems a bit odd. But for those who've never done this before, it gives them a work flow that they can follow and be reasonably sure of success. So, you don't have to. Some people find it a little more organized. I did for my first project. I don't really do it much anymore. But it has it's place. Cheers! -- Smug

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
07/30/13 05:25 PM (10 years ago)
When you become a member (did you like how I slid that 'when' in there?) you'll be able to do self hosting. When that happens (see, I did it again!) I've written a few php scripts to make things a bit easier. In particular, I've written a 'multi-upload' script that allows you to upload multiple (same extension) files into your project online. One by one always annoyed me. Cheers! -- Smug

vonZiegler
Code is Art
Craigmore, Sout...
07/30/13 05:28 PM (10 years ago)
Thanks, Smug! Love your work with the "when". :)

Pancho
Code is Art
Reg: Mar 06, 2012
Lima
07/31/13 08:45 AM (10 years ago)
SmugSmoothWimp...

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.