Discussion Forums  >  iOS / Android Beta Testers

Replies: 21    Views: 139

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
01/14/13 04:29 AM (11 years ago)

I humbly ask a few moments of Quality time with your Android...

I am buttoning up the finishing touches on my first App to be released. It is a real estate agent application, developed in conjunction with my Realtor friend Duane, of whom the 'flagship' app is created for. I hope to 'cookie cut' this app for other real estate agents, we'll see how it goes. The app is approximately 2.5MB in size, and located at https://dl.dropbox.com/u/115208762/com.mgps.re.dp.apk If you have a moment to check it out, I'd appreciate a fairly brutal assessment. Please don't be kind. Tear it apart. Cheers! -- Smug

Mr stuck
Android Fan
Reg: Apr 09, 2012
Fife, Scotland
01/14/13 04:34 AM (11 years ago)
Will try it out for you.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
01/14/13 04:37 AM (11 years ago)
One of the options is to call the agent. Please don't. It's getting late here, and you'll have international charges, lol! Cheers! -- Smug

Mr stuck
Android Fan
Fife, Scotland
01/14/13 04:58 AM (11 years ago)
Lol. Won't be doing that but it shows the number fine. App looks awesome. Nice and works great. Like the icons and lots of content. How did you get that slim ad banner at top? Now just a couple of tips. 1. In the quiz you should remove "Is" from start of first 2 questions. 2. I always find its better to have the GPS screen with a black background as I just think it looks weird with half the screen a different colour. But you could get clever and add a big GPS icon to the bottom half. 3. The ring of death appears on the listing but its not a wheel of death as such as it does not freeze the app. Clicking back makes it vanish. Apart from that. Well done. Well put together.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
01/14/13 05:54 AM (11 years ago)
Thanks! I'm using Susan Metoxen's Menu with Image plugin, but I went in the code and cut the image height in half, and just adjust my images for that size. I have a rotating banner php script that feeds it images. Although it only has two right now. 1) Thanks. I'll do that. 2) Hmm... I'll think on it, lol! 3) Yah, it took me a bit to find a good solution. It's no longer the Wheel of death so much as the 'Wheel of Annoyance' now. There are going to be a couple of URL's I have no control over, and that's as good as I can do. Fortunately the customer understands that. I just hope the public does too. Thanks! Cheers! -- Smug

Mr stuck
Android Fan
Fife, Scotland
01/14/13 05:59 AM (11 years ago)
2. You could even use the space to drop another ad in! Cool app though and sure you will get loads more orders.

WebNevees
Code is Art
Reg: Oct 28, 2012
KL
01/14/13 06:18 AM (11 years ago)
Nice Work SmugWimp: I checked it out with my HTC Flyer running HoneyComb 3.2.1 and here are the specs.... -Crash and force close after returning from standby into the maps screen. -What does the take notes on the listings screen do? On my device it only shows a non editable screen with a top bar which contains an Edit button, but that only changes to done when pressed. Nothing else happening here!... oops, checked it again and apparently I can write now. The problem is since there is no cursor blink at the beginning and the background is a dark one, the cursor is not easily visible. And that's what fooled me. It works though. -Text Duane screen comes to a forceclose when selected on my device. It's a tablet running Honeycomb. The calling function shows a correctly intended error that there is no Native app found. I had this problem in previous apps, which can be resolved. Follow myskylla's advice... Just out of curiosity: how much is a real estate agent willing to pay for such an app? If you don't mind... And how much time did you put on it? I like the handy tools and info section...

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
01/14/13 06:31 AM (11 years ago)
I'm going to have to get a Honeycomb/Gingerbread device... The edit issue is a known problem with the Android version of the plugin. You have to tap edit twice. I'll figure out some way to put some sort of note in there, like I did for the 'email photo' plugin. I'll check Myskylla. Our initial offering has been for $200 per app, with a $20/mnth 'maintenance' fee. A lot of it hinges on our ability to have Apple accept multiple 'similar, but not exactly the same' apps for different real estate agents. If it proves to be successful, I have at least an office of 30 agents, and possibly more if we can sell to other brokerages. Bottom Line: A minimum of nothing, since I did this to learn Buzztouch, and do a favor for a friend. But the 'expected' income is upwards of $6000.00 and $600 a month. I started this project seriously around mid-december. Cheers! -- Smug

Mr stuck
Android Fan
Fife, Scotland
01/14/13 06:39 AM (11 years ago)
@Smug. I can't see apple having a problem. They can't say yes to one agent having an app and no to anyone else. Although they are similar they each serve a different person or business if you know what i mean.

WebNevees
Code is Art
KL
01/14/13 06:40 AM (11 years ago)
Thanks, nicely done. I hope apple gives the green light... I agree with Mr stuck on that part. Also, are you charging the $100 developer account separately? Or will you submit them all on your own account? And also the ios app is just the same as the android app right?

LA
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 16, 2012
Jerseyville, IL
01/14/13 06:45 AM (11 years ago)
Hey @Smug, Just tested it on my Android 4.1. I like the graphics and the features. A few things though, on the home page, your icons are covering up part of the text. Notepad did not let me do anything. The spinning wheel got me so I had to back out. Just a few tweaks and you are good to go. Looks good Smug! LA

WebNevees
Code is Art
KL
Oh, and I'll check it out on my Nexus 7 too by tomorrow...

WebNevees
Code is Art
KL

WebNevees
Code is Art
KL
01/14/13 07:24 AM (11 years ago)

Paul Rogers
Android Fan
Reg: May 30, 2011
UK
01/14/13 08:03 AM (11 years ago)
Gotta love android fragmentation! Tested on a HTC One X (4.1.1) and HTC Wildfire (2.2) HTC One X (4.1.1) Splashscreen: only shows pic, no text showing underneath Menu: list icons over the top of text, see screenshot: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/56760890/2013-01-14%2013.14.47.png Mortgage Calculator: mis-spelled in menu Calculator text is very small, but ok. Should the text be 'interest rates' or 'interest rate'? Social Media: facebook ok, twitter has wheel of death and blank white screen. Listing notes: works ok for first note, but next notes have a very small editing area, see screenshot: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/56760890/2013-01-14%2013.57.54.png HTC Wildfire (2.2) Splashscreen: shows pic and text underneath Menu: ok Duane's listings: very small text, radio buttons etc Mortgage calculator: text looks even smaller on smaller device. Social Media: facebook ok, twitter has wheel of death and blank white screen. Youtube: Some videos play, some don't (first one doesn't play, message - 'Sorry, this video cannot be played', second video plays ok) Game Time: No slider between Easy and Hard, so puzzle stuck on 4x4 squares. Big green overlay over the whole puzzle when a square is tapped. Looks like it's html5/javascript rather than native, so you could put this in with the existing css in the head: /* Disable tap overlay color on links - set alpha to %0 = invisible */ -webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0); Would probably look something like this: <style> html, body { width:100%; height:100%; margin:0; padding:0; overflow:hidden; /* Disable tap overlay color on links - set alpha to %0 = invisible */ -webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0); } </style> Listing notes: works ok. Send a photo: Choosing an image from the gallery or hitting 'done' when taking a photo causes a force close of the app. Pre-Qualifying Quiz: Can only see 2.5 answer buttons Lots of empty space between a three line question and first answer button, and a line of space above the question. Could be squeezed up a bit in the xml probably? Everything else is great!

Outbreak
buzztouch Evangelist
Colorado
01/14/13 09:29 AM (11 years ago)
Overall pretty good. Tested it on Nexus 7. A few thoughts: 1)Put the " go to duanes office" on home screen 2)move calculator under tools. 3)You might want to think about making an additional contact tab and moving the appropriate info with it. 4)Is the listings handled by him through a separate website? 5)I also crashed when pressing back. 6)Device info said that I didn't have a camera even though I have a front facing one. Overall nice job. Cheers! Shane

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
01/14/13 03:52 PM (11 years ago)
LA, raveyd, Webnevees, Mr. Stuck, & Outbreak, THANK YOU! :) 1) Changing the 'Scale/Position' cured the face only splash; thanks for the heads up! 2) Put a 'note' in the notepad background image, explaining the 'double-tap edit'. Hope that helps. Oddly enough, it was my note covering up the space. Reimaged. Good, I hope, heh. 3) Yes, the puzzle is HTML 5; the CSS helps, thanks! I Need to kill that slider. :) 4) I hate twitter.But I think I have a handle on it now. Thanks! 5) Interest 'rate' IS better, lol! I'll see if I can change the size. 6) What's up with that margin? Buttons and Text to be determined... 7) My 'emergency' list doesn't work. I thought "<a href="tel:123-4567">Call</a> worked? a) The "Listings" page is an external URL; I can't change that. It was the driving force behind my wheel of death fix. b) The 'placement' of the menu items are the customers choice; I had it differently c) "Device Info", "Notepad" and "Quiz" is a plugin; I can't guarantee accuracy, lol! I can't say how much I appreciate everyone's input, and still solicit for more! Thanks everyone! Cheers! -- Smug

LA
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 16, 2012
Jerseyville, IL
01/14/13 03:54 PM (11 years ago)
You did a great job Smug! LA

Outbreak
buzztouch Evangelist
Colorado
01/14/13 03:56 PM (11 years ago)
No worries. Hope it goes great. Shane

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
01/14/13 11:44 PM (11 years ago)
Wow -- is Android compatibility always this hard and diverse?

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
01/15/13 01:16 AM (11 years ago)
I'm finding out the hard way that the answer is a resounding 'yes', lol! It's just that there are so many different sized devices. I'm keeping a journal of changes and 'gotchas' that I'm going to document once this is all over and before I start on my next project. It's fun, but it seems like every time you turn around, there's another small but important issue that needs to be addressed... Don't let it stop you! It's all part of the learning curve. I always learn a whole lot more from my failures than from my successes ;) Cheers! -- Smug

Paul Rogers
Android Fan
UK
01/15/13 05:34 AM (11 years ago)
@Niraj Shah - yes! It's not just at a developer level either. I had a software update for my htc phone yesterday, turns out it's a radical re-design of the UI! Still trying to find my way around it.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.