Discussion Forums  >  Introduce Yourself

Replies: 13    Views: 191

mrDavid
BTMods.com
Reg: May 21, 2011
San Diego, CA
03/14/14 10:44 PM (10 years ago)

Why do you do this?

Life is short, very short, very precious. Life goals sometimes get in the way of appreciating life, outdoors, love, family, all of these. Most people I would say waste their life trying to make money, and end up dying without living life at it's fullest. We only live once after all. There was a quote that has always been closest to me, it goes something like "A young man will spend his entire youth to get rich, and a rich man will spend all of his money trying to get his youth back". Such a truer quote I have never heard. It's something I had to hear a few years back that affected the way I wanted to live my life. Money is important. Money helps us achieve life goals, enjoy nature, travel, experiences with family and friends, but you don't need to be rich to do that, just comfortable. I wouldn't mind becoming a millionaire, don't get me wrong, but I won't waste my youth trying to reach that goal at the expense of losing out on life itself, while I'm young and lucky enough to be healthy and with a loving wife. **** So my question to those who are reading and have a few minutes, why are you coding? making apps? getting clients? why are you here? Money? Experience? Community? Would love to get some insight on what the answers you guys have. Cheers, David https://btmods.com/chat

EdReyes
Lost but trying
Reg: Oct 21, 2013
location unknow...
03/15/14 12:55 AM (10 years ago)
In this economy it is about Survival. Opportunities are less these days, if you can't get a job, create one, the basis of entrepreneurship. During the dot com days, my youth. i lived the life of a rich man, 7 bedroom mansion lifestyle. lost it all. stayed with family i helped when money was no object, only to be kicked out, living in my car homeless. researched all the soup kitchens to volunteer at, so I can get a meal without appearing homeless. when I could I would go to john wayne airport park my car in one terminal gather as many carts to return, redeem some quarters, exit in time to not have to pay parking, go to the next terminal parking and do the same. when your world that you built revolves around technology, there's very little one can do when your tools are taken away from you. A student i mentored his aunt who lost her son graciously took me off the streets, ill and near death, this experienced humbled me, everything i taught myself to make millions i knew i could do again, just a matter of time, but at what expense? my health? now i work to live comfortably and provide for my family. any excess i donate to those less fortunate, living the life of paying it forward. giving opportunities to those eager to be mentored, my foster kids. once you've been abandoned, will you start living and finding the answers you seek. time is something we can't get back, time is something most waste, time is something we wish we had more of, with that said, it's time to live your life, not others. Ed

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
03/15/14 01:01 AM (10 years ago)
Here is a little app that may answer your question about money: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.prayforabundanceandwealth Here is a sketch for an esotheric view of life. If you think that this is your only life, then yes, you will fall short. Instead try thinking of this as of your incarnation, one of the many both on this planet and on many other planets as well. There are three levels: a being, a soul and a body. You are the being always and unconditionally, that being takes many forms -- souls to express itself and then the soul has a body. One soul may also have many bodies but not at once, there is a body for each incarnation. That's why we use that term "incarnation" to denote a combination of what souls intends to do now, in this "life". Now, a soul wants to learn about itself and what it can achieve under circumstances that are present on this planet. In many cases, the soul has a large goal, one that cannot be resolved in only one incarnation. (That doesn't bother the soul, it knows all about the cycle of live and "death".) They say that it takes 20-30 successive incarnations to generate one "life" as a Beethoven or Mozart. After each incarnation, the soul decides whether it wants to go back to Earth or to go somewhere entirely else. Usually, each soul has from 700 to 1000 incarnations on Earth. Some do not incarnate that easily. Julius Cesar was incarnated only once, as Russian emperor Peter the Great. Alexander the Macedonian has not reincarnated at all since the death of his body -- I guess, once you are the emperor of the world, there is little else that may interest you here. I am a professional astrologer with more than 6000 natal charts delineated for the clients in the last 24 years. In my country, I used to be a TV celebrity for a couple of years, back in 2002-2004. A chart is the expression of the energies at the moment of birth, for the place of birth on Earth. That is your "task" for this incarnation. Where the planets are in the natal chart, that is where the energy of cosmos is connecting to your body. The best way to live this "life" is to do what is written in the chart -- that is what you came here for, now. Think of it as of the path of least resistance for you. If you were Novak Djokovic, you were born to be a tennis star; but he is very poor at doing anything else and he doesn't regret it all. It takes courage to blend with inner yourself but once you do, you are unstoppable (until you deviate from that route). My job as an astrologer is to put people back to the path of their lives they were meant to live in this body and incarnation. So, if the combination of factor in your natal chart points to playing chess, then do play chess; but if it coding and creating apps, then do create apps and write programs. No regrets if you are on the right path, as denoted by your natal chart.

KennedyE
Android Fan
Reg: Dec 07, 2013
PH, Nigeria
03/15/14 03:55 AM (10 years ago)
"During the dot com days, my youth. i lived the life of a rich man, 7 bedroom manshion lifestyle. lost it all..." If you partner with God by giving Him 10 percent(call it Tithe or whatever you like) of every increase(income, gift, commission, rent, profits, earnings, etc...) you receive, you will never go broke. Its both a principle and a mystery of having an everlasting increase- blessing. Man cannot by himself alone achieve good and lasting success, he needs God's support. I am a rich young man not yet married, although, my father died without leaving an inheritance(not even a pin because of polygamy) for me as a young lad I give God 10 percent of every increase(income, gift, commission, rent, profits, earnings, etc...), God blesses(increases) the 90 percent and miraculously supply all my needs.

Cakebit
Code is Art
Reg: Dec 15, 2010
In your local b...
03/15/14 09:16 AM (10 years ago)
I want to live a simple life, with great adventures. "If you only scrape a living, at least it's a living worth scraping. If there's no future in it, at least it's a present worth remembering".  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2XRlcLEFvo

Kittsy
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Feb 22, 2012
Liverpool
03/15/14 10:43 AM (10 years ago)
I like to make shit

Red Dog
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 16, 2011
Southern Califo...
03/15/14 02:03 PM (10 years ago)
Just to prove I can teach this old dog a new trick.

Derval
Aspiring developer
Reg: Sep 20, 2012
Milan
03/15/14 02:30 PM (10 years ago)
I was attracted to app development because I saw it as a way to start a business where I could be my own boss. Years in the corporate world working for someone else just wasn’t for me. Hope that helps David.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
03/15/14 03:44 PM (10 years ago)
Because I can, and for the moment it's interesting. When it is no longer interesting, or when something 'more' interesting comes along, who knows. Cheers! -- Smug

CMCOFFEE
Android Fan
Reg: Jan 04, 2013
Amarillo, Texas
03/15/14 06:10 PM (10 years ago)
I got interested in programming when I made my first java swing gui app in my college programming course. I just took the class because I was pretty good at working with computers and my grandparents, which are professors, pushed me to try college. I grew up in a bad neighborhood also so making things keeps my mind a little more sane from all the sirens, gunshots, etc. I make websites for local artists for free because I want them to have something positive to do too. Its cool because it pushed alot of other people around the city to make music to put on local stations and pursue other dreams. I do want to make money also. I do want to balance my time to spend a lot with fam and friends too though. I love yall quotes. Heres some of my favorites by n.h. When you are able to maintain your own highest standards of integrity - regardless of what others may do - you are destined for greatness. Napoleon Hill "I want to describe my discovery in the simplest terms possible because it will reveal to you why it is true that whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve regardless of how many times you have failed in the past or how lofty your aims and hopes may be" -Napolean Hill

Calypso Kid
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 09, 2012
Upstate New Yor...
03/15/14 06:41 PM (10 years ago)
Doing it because I don't know how to. Love learning how to do things that are a bit challenging. Since starting with Buzztouch, I've learned a little bit about Buzztouch, Community, Camaraderie, iOS, Xcode, helping others, servers, databases, Apples App Store and probably a bunch of stuff that I don't even know that I've learned. So I guess I'm doing it less for money and more to just see if I can. Wow! Thanks for asking the question! Dave

mrDavid
BTMods.com
Reg: May 21, 2011
San Diego, CA
03/15/14 08:05 PM (10 years ago)
Cheers to all! Love it, thanks for taking your time to respond. Super interesting to read what pulled some poeple to get into this. Did not really intend for religion to come into play, but totally cool regardless. If anyone else want's to post, go for it. :-) Thanks again! David https://btmods.com/chat

theMonster
Code is Art
Reg: Oct 18, 2011
US
03/17/14 11:35 AM (10 years ago)
I'm defiantly late to the party, but I'll chime in if that's ok. The funny thing is when I was younger and first heard about this thing called the "app store" from Steve Jobs, all I could think was how cool it would be to be able to customize your iPhone! An already amazing device with amazing software, now you could create your own apps for your own needs. Making this device even more amazing. So in the words of our own @kittsy, I LOVE making shit. I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. I actually was frustrated that you'd have to program to make apps though, knowing nothing about programming, seeing that there was a "You have to be this tall to ride" sign at the entrance was infuriating. But I buckled down and started to program, now it has become an extension of myself. I can easily go in and out of programming at any time of the day. That's something that has brought me plenty of sweat on my brow, but even more joy and happiness. So, in the end, like you said, it comes down to what makes you happy. Programming for years and years has brought me lots of happiness. So I continue to do it. Everything else, has been just icing on the cup cake.... That's a lot of icing..... ;) -tM

CSSZiegler
I hate code!
Reg: May 30, 2012
Monsey, New Yor...
03/18/14 08:45 AM (10 years ago)
Watch this 1 hour documentary film http://www.instituteb.com/not-business-as-usual This sums it all up as to why I'm doing this!

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.