Discussion Forums  >  Config Data, JSON, App Refresh

Replies: 6    Views: 161

Calypso Kid
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 09, 2012
Upstate New Yor...
01/06/13 05:43 PM (11 years ago)

Sorry, I can't help it

Hello everyone, Just wondering if anyone has played with live/design yet. I know David@ Buztouch said that he is coming out with a how-to for it but that red dot on my control panel is killing me. I want to try it out but....... Do i have to send a new package to Apple for an update or just change the current config from design to live, hit publish and when my app users refresh they get the new config on their phone. Then, once the new config is on my app users phones and I have two separate configs in my control panel (live and design), I'm guessing that I have to connect my test iphone to xcode after installing the design mode config from my control panel into xcode and then install that on my test phone. Then once the design config is on my test device I can make changes to my design config in my control panel and I will be able to refresh for live updates on my test device without my app users seeing it. Then when I'm done making changes to the design config, change it from design to live in the config file, tap publish and then a copy of the design config moves over into the live config, replacing the old live config, and my app users see the new data prompt for an update. Whew Am I even close to these assumptions? Thanks Dave

LA
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 16, 2012
Jerseyville, IL
01/06/13 05:48 PM (11 years ago)
Wow! You just confused me..lol Sit tight and it will be revealed. LA

Calypso Kid
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 09, 2012
Upstate New Yor...
01/06/13 05:52 PM (11 years ago)
Sorry LA. Just the way my brain works. It makes my wife nuts sometimes.

LA
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 16, 2012
Jerseyville, IL
01/06/13 05:54 PM (11 years ago)
Don't be sorry. You have a creative mind. LA

Stobe
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Mar 04, 2011
Fredericksburg,...
01/06/13 06:18 PM (11 years ago)
While you're waiting for a more complete explanation, I'll tell you this much.... The design mode should essentially tell your app users that there is no update when it (the app) reaches out to the config URL. So any changes you make in the control panel will not propagate out to your users until you switch it back to live mode. I hope this helps. This is my understanding of how it works, yet as a disclaimer, I have not had the chance to test it myself. -Stobe

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
01/06/13 07:00 PM (11 years ago)
So, sort of like an 'update pause' ? Cheers! -- Smug

Stobe
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Mar 04, 2011
Fredericksburg,...
01/06/13 11:53 PM (11 years ago)
Make sure you read this explanation, which is in the control panel: January 6, 2013: This feature was introduced recently and will have NO EFFECT on existing projects unless you re-download the source code for the app and re-compile it using the config.txt file included in the download. Older apps that are not re-compiled with the newest source will behave exactly like they did before this feature existed.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.