Discussion Forums  >  Config Data, JSON, App Refresh

Replies: 6    Views: 118

Derval
Aspiring developer
Reg: Sep 20, 2012
Milan
01/10/13 03:23 AM (11 years ago)

Making changes to app to create a new version

Hi all and Happy New Year! Is there a good thread out there that someone can direct me to that gives tips on making changes to your app after it has been published on the app store? I see there’s a lot of stuff out there, but some is a year old or refers to v1.5. I am on v2.0, iOS. Listening to the recent webinar about changes for 2013, I understand there’s a new design v live option in the config data, which sounds great. The question is should I change to that now or wait for my next new project? For my existing app, I would like to update PDF files, add a new splash screen and video material. So from what I understand, I should do the following: 1. Open my project in Xcode, add the new PDF files and video, keeping the same file names as the original ones. 2. For any new additional material, create new screens as before and add to menu list in the control panel. Add any new files to Xcode project 3. When new version of app has been completed, copy the latest config data from the control panel into my config file in xCode 4. Change code signing to development, then Clean/Run/Test 5. Change code signing back to distribution and follow the process to upload a new version to iTunesconnect Is that basically it? I’m feeling a bit rusty after the Christmas break and I don’t want to to mess up! David referred in his recent Webinar to apps somehow “being broken” during this process and I want to make sure I avoid this as the app is obviously live. Anything I should be wary of? Many thanks in advance, Derval

MacApple
Apple Fan
Reg: Oct 25, 2010
USA
01/10/13 03:36 AM (11 years ago)
Happy new year to you as well. Mark (@GoNorthWest) has a wee tutorial about online/offline here: https://www.buzztouch.com/files/howtos/Understanding_App_Refresh_and_Offline_Apps_v1.0.pdf A lot depends whether you app is online or off at the moment. The doc above should help. If you plan on updating this app quite regularly and it doesn't have too many screens at the moment it may be worth popping it into a new app to benefit from the new live/design mode. It sure is a quality new feature. 1. I always delete the existing ones prior to adding in the new ones if you are keeping the same names. Over righting existing docs can be iffy. 2. You got it. 3. Bang on track! 4. Spot on. 5. Go to the front of the class! Don't hesitate to shout out on the forums as you start to make the changes, loads of us have faced this dilemma but sounds like you know what you are up to.

Kittsy
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Feb 22, 2012
Liverpool
01/10/13 03:45 AM (11 years ago)
I agree with MacApple start a fresh, it will have all the up to date code. Hang on for push notification part as well that could give you more options for your app, plus the plugin store should be open soon, so this might have some nice ui type options for you. Exciting times ahead

MacApple
Apple Fan
Reg: Oct 25, 2010
USA
01/10/13 03:49 AM (11 years ago)
True story buddy, holding off on a few old Android app updates from 1.5 until everything is rolled out.

Derval
Aspiring developer
Milan
01/10/13 05:48 AM (11 years ago)
Ah brilliant - thanks for that! Much appreciated. So that document from 2011 is still valid - that’s good to know. I just went through it. I am thinking that since this particular app, which is currently live, only requires this one update and has a lot of screens, I could probably stick with the existing app. So if I leave it live and add new material, what will current users experience while I wait for Apple to approve the new version? Will they for example, see a new menu item on a list, but not see the content yet, as this material is not on the control panel? And, does Apple typically approve updates quicker than new apps?

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
01/10/13 10:01 PM (11 years ago)
Existing users of the older app would indeed see new items on the Menu List and they would not see the related (next) screens because that content is not yet in the Control Panel. That would lead to a bad user experience. -- Niraj

Derval
Aspiring developer
Milan
01/11/13 12:48 AM (11 years ago)
@niraj - thanks a lot for confirming my suspicion. I wanted to be sure about it. So for this particular app, while I am waiting for the new version to be approved, I will simply add some temporary wording to the menu list like “pending new version” and then remove it when the new version comes online. Not ideal, but thanks to the new design v live function, it seems this problem has been resolved for new apps, which is great.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.