Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 7    Views: 79

Kristian_N
Code is Art
Reg: Oct 27, 2011
Copenhagen
04/17/15 11:33 AM (9 years ago)

Does Calendar Events work for non-selfhosted users?

Hi I am a bit unsure - will "Calendar Events" work for us non-selfhosted users? Don't want to use 20 bucks if it doesn't work :) Rgds, Kristian

chris1
Code is Art
Reg: Aug 10, 2012
Austin, TX
04/17/15 01:16 PM (9 years ago)
Nope, unfortunately not. It requires a PHP script to work, so it will only work if you install on your own server.

KozmoWeb
Aspiring developer
Reg: Dec 08, 2012
Sarasota, FL
04/20/15 04:18 PM (9 years ago)
Question: Could the necessary php script be hosted on another server and then be referenced by BT hosted? Or would that whole "cross site scripting" (is that what it's called?) issue come in to play? William

chris1
Code is Art
Austin, TX
04/20/15 04:24 PM (9 years ago)
Technically - the current setup automatically detects the location of the script on the self-hosted server and fills in that information as a dataURL for the app to communicate with. However, it would take some serious manipulation to make it work on a buzztouch.com app. The reason is that I used a somewhat complex set of requests between the control panel page and the php script. Since there would be no php script on the buzztouch.com server, the control panel page would simply say the setup hasn't been completed. If you had it setup on your own server and knew what the JSON should be, you could overwrite the JSON in the manual JSON section at the bottom of the control panel.

KozmoWeb
Aspiring developer
Sarasota, FL
04/20/15 04:43 PM (9 years ago)
Thanks for the quick reply Chris. As the Mythbusters would say: "plausible" but really not practical. There seem to be more and more reasons for me to seriously jump into the self hosting world! I think as soon as I can justify the expense I will. William

chris1
Code is Art
Austin, TX
04/20/15 04:54 PM (9 years ago)
Well, if you already have a server (which you would need if you were going to host a php script somewhere anyway), then there's really no added cost. And if you don't have a server, there's some pretty affordable options. If you're comfortable setting up software yourself, check out godaddy or hostgator. Or if you are looking for a complete solution with the self-hosted software installed I offer one over at http://www.buzz-tools.com.

KozmoWeb
Aspiring developer
Sarasota, FL
04/20/15 05:09 PM (9 years ago)
Thanks Chris. I do run a couple of servers for different things here and there but they're either very niche or really on the "hobbyist" level of things. Right now Buzztouch hosted is great for me because what I've been able to create has been side work that gives a little incremental income here and there. I actually installed Buzztouch self hosted locally on my personal MacBook once just to see what the process was like and experiment. It was no problem at all for me to get it up and running - and the side effect is that I am a little envious of those running self hosted now! ;-) Anyway, if I get serious about a Buzztouch server that is capable, reliable, has all the correct ports open and services running I would certainly look your way as the pricing is very reasonable. Thanks again! William

Kristian_N
Code is Art
Reg: Oct 27, 2011
Copenhagen
04/23/15 01:54 AM (9 years ago)
Hi Chris, Thanks for the update.. Is there any chance that you can make a plugin that will work for non-selfhosted users? I do consider going self-hosted as your plugin is just what i need for some apps :) regards, Kristian, Denmark

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.