Discussion Forums  >  Self Hosted Control Panels

Replies: 26    Views: 117

Nicks App
Code is Art
Reg: May 21, 2014
Las Vegas
05/27/14 04:14 PM (10 years ago)

Need Consulting To Move To Self-Hosting

I'd like to publish this "Help Wanted" ad here, rather than on Freelancer, because I want to work with a BuzzTouch Evangelist or Fan - at lest someone experienced. I like to travel, and I have traveled throughout the US, UK and EU. In Berlin, exactly two years ago, I got frustrated that I could not put my list of places I wanted to visit on my iPhone's Map. Nor on a web Google Map, and have the current pulsating blue dot location. Not to mention directions. So I got an account here, and wrote an iOS Map App. Got the $99 Apple Developer account, and put the App on my iPhone. Built up a list of places, and tested it for a month. Then my 90 days in Berlin was up, and I went to the UK, where I swapped out the BT_Config.txt file of places in Europe, with a new BT_Config.txt file of places in the UK. Same iOS "Shell", different BT_Config.txt. I spent days/weeks gathering locations to put on my Map, and Geo-Coding them (Lat/Lng) via a script that I wrote, and in writing the fussy Javascript-looking BT_Config.txt file, with the { [ ( ) ] } , punctuation and text, literal and location-al, for the menu structure resulting in the eventual pins on the map - with the pulsating blue dot! Got to Bristol, England, and bought an entry-level Android phone, Topped-Up with £10 for data, and made the Android version. Xcode worked and Eclipse worked. I'm a Mac guy. Bought and installed BT Self Server. Fast forward to today! OSX has been updated several times, as has iOS. Re-upped the $99 Apple Developer Account. Put the working App from 2 years ago on my new iPhone 5S - nothing, just black. Hauled out my Android phone from England, in WiFi, and the 2-year-old Android App works fine. Went to BestBuy and bought a brand new Android tablet for $69, put the 2-year-old Android App on it, works sweet. Except it doesn't refresh data. Probably because I haven't re-upped my $79 BT Self Hosting. Maybe that's why the iOS App doesn't work. So many forks in the road. I've spent 4 days trying to get Eclipse installed on my new Mac. The BT help files don't look like the current Eclipse and ADT bundle, nor does on-line help files. The Eclipse menus don't look the same. There's no Build Target for Goofle. It can't find any AVDs. So I want to move on from Eclipse and Xcode. I really never used Eclipse 2 years ago, except to drag the .png files in, and then make the .apk. I think I need someone who does this all the time, to make for me the iOS and Android "Shell"s. Everything but the BT_Config.txt file which I have had no problem making. Which as far as I could determine, even two years ago, "everything" was very little. The BT_Config.txt file was/is the brains. I made 2 Map Apps - one for Europe and one for the UK - an iOS version and an Android version. My BT_Config.txt file does everything. The menus, the pins on the map. "Everything" but the iPhone and Android device icons. I'm now going to make new, separate East Europe and Russia, Asia, South America, maybe Australia, and Oceania. I'd like someone to make for me the "Shell"s of the Apps... and telling the App to either "get" the data or "refresh" the BT_Config.txt file from my BT Self Hosting server, on my Domain. (Which I will re-up and pay for, in concert with someone helping me, so the right hand knows what the left hand is doing with all the IDs). I assume I'll need an iOS and an Android version for each of those travel areas (Europe, East Europe, UK, Asia, Aussies, Oceania (Malaysia), So America, USA, Canada), 99% because of the device Icons. Hopefully each App will work on both phone and tablets. I need to get back to work gathering more data and more types of data for the menus. Not bang my head against the wall for hours with Eclipse and Xcode installs, for 5 minutes of eventual file output. And all the errors, and all the discrepancies between the pictures in the help files. (My maps are local tourist locations, that would fit in the "Gay" niche. All text, no naughty words, no pictures, no flying anatomical parts, etc. Just names and addresses of building locations, on a live Google Map. The only "action" is the pulsating blue dot on the iOS Map. So far, on Android, it's just an icon of a phone, no pulsating anything). I can also help people who struggle with Geo-Coding address data, to Lat/Lng, for their own Maps. Thank You in advance. I old and poor, and type slow.

chris1
Code is Art
Reg: Aug 10, 2012
Austin, TX
05/27/14 05:40 PM (10 years ago)
I can probably help you out. I have a tool called the "App Copier" tool that's in the plugin market currently, which can help you copy apps from one server to another, or makes copies of an app "shell" already on your server. I also offer this tool free of charge to anyone that hosts with me at buzz-tools.com. -------- https://www.buzz-tools.com

Nicks App
Code is Art
Las Vegas
05/27/14 05:45 PM (10 years ago)
I went, frantically, to your site, but didn't see where we could get this done. Is it $19.99/month for the account? Or for each App? [email protected]

chris1
Code is Art
Austin, TX
05/27/14 05:47 PM (10 years ago)
$19.99/mo for the account. If you click on the self-hosting services button, you'll find a button at the bottom that says "sign up".

chris1
Code is Art
Austin, TX
05/27/14 05:47 PM (10 years ago)
Make sure you're a Buzztouch member, though, as that's needed for self-hosting anywhere.

Nicks App
Code is Art
Las Vegas
05/27/14 05:50 PM (10 years ago)
$79.99 + $19.99/month?? What do you need, other than $79.99 + $19.99, to see if he scenario I posed, is workable?

chris1
Code is Art
Austin, TX
05/27/14 05:54 PM (10 years ago)
That should be it, as long as you have XCode/Eclipse up-to-date and have current accounts with Apple and Google.

Nicks App
Code is Art
Las Vegas
05/27/14 05:59 PM (10 years ago)
I don't think you read my post. No Eclipse on current OSX - none of the screens matched the help files. Current Xcode didn't like either the new download, or the 2-year old one. I am just so over trying to do two software installs, that previously worked, and previously only did a few minutes work. The .apk and whatever the iOS file is, that I have, were both created 2 years ago.

Nicks App
Code is Art
Las Vegas
05/27/14 06:04 PM (10 years ago)
If I need to have Eclipse, then I need someone to sit in Screen-Share with me, and see the differences between the Eclipse download options and Configuration and Screens, compared to the help files, and help me interpret the options. Best I can tell, most help files are 2 years old. Currently, the Eclipse download is a bundle.

chris1
Code is Art
Austin, TX
05/27/14 06:06 PM (10 years ago)
I did read the post, but admit I had a hard time following some of it. So, currently you don't have a working version of Eclipse or Xcode installed? Or do you have Xcode working just not with the app you're working on?

chris1
Code is Art
Austin, TX
05/27/14 06:12 PM (10 years ago)
Okay - I can help you get Eclipse installed via screen-share, but probably looking at 2 weeks before I have time to do that. It's possible I'll have time toward the end of next week, but can't be sure yet. Once I get past next week, things should ease up for me.

Nicks App
Code is Art
Las Vegas
05/27/14 06:13 PM (10 years ago)
I have tried to install Eclipse 5-6 times. Each time, the screens are different from the help files. I tried to Import the old .apk - that works fine on 2 Android devices - and it is all errors in Eclipse. I unzipped the .apk but I don't know where and how to edit the Icons, and then zip it back up (exactly). I did get the old iOS file on my iPhone, but it runs all black - no menus no nothing. That was like last Thursday. Have already forgotten the steps - as the Eclipse adventure of Friday-Monday took almost all of my soul. I just launched Xcode, and it shows my iOS App in the history, but then the Build failed.

Nicks App
Code is Art
Las Vegas
05/27/14 06:17 PM (10 years ago)
If I buy the $79.99 BT Membership, what I really need is someone to just build me the "Shell" of the iOS and Android App, with the Icons, then pointing to the config.txt file, which I already have. And we decide what to call the Europe config.txt file, vs UK config.txt file, vs USA, SoAm, CA, East Europe, Asia, Malaysia, Aus. And I'm on Mac OSX . I can pay someone $20/month to host, with this hour or so of hand carrying up front, otherwise, I already host 15 Domains on a web host. 2 years ago, I only spent a few minutes outputting the .apk and the iOS App.

chris1
Code is Art
Austin, TX
05/27/14 06:19 PM (10 years ago)
I'm not too worried about errors showing up - as long as you used plugins currently in the market, those won't be hard to resolve. Not sure why your iOS app is just black, but that shouldn't be hard to resolve either. What versions of Xcode and Eclipse are currently on your computer, if at all?

Nicks App
Code is Art
Las Vegas
05/27/14 06:24 PM (10 years ago)
Xcode 5.1.1 I have a Purple Eclipse Juno Build id: 20121004-1855 And a Green Android Developer Tools Build: v22.6.2-1085508 This product includes Eclipse Platform, JDT, CDT, EMF, GEF and WTP, all of which are Copyright (c) Eclipse contributors and others. Visit http://eclipse.org/ The help files don't say that Eclipse now comes as a bundle. None of this means anything to me, as I just want to make one App. That works. Like it did 2 years ago.

chris1
Code is Art
Austin, TX
05/27/14 06:34 PM (10 years ago)
Xcode version is up-to-date, so that's good. Eclipse comes with different build types, making it very confusing for sure. I'm using Eclipse Kepler 4.3.2 with Build id: 20140224-0627. It seems to work fine for me. It's the first/main download on http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/

Nicks App
Code is Art
Las Vegas
05/27/14 06:47 PM (10 years ago)
I've spent 4 days trying to download Eclipse. Each time, it opens working .apks with a boatload of errors... no Build Target, no AVD. I really don't want to do Eclipse. I like building the Javascript for the config.txt files. I've lost 4 days of gathering data and building config.txt files, with the great menus.

chris1
Code is Art
Austin, TX
05/27/14 06:53 PM (10 years ago)
Well, if you're wanting to do Android apps, you probably should take the time to figure it out. You could also give Android Studio (also free) a try, or download IntelliJ (a paid program, but comes with a 30-day free trial to see if you can get it working). As I said, I can do a screen-share to get the program installed - you'll just have to be patient for a couple of weeks.

Nicks App
Code is Art
Las Vegas
05/27/14 07:09 PM (10 years ago)
I asked for a certain type of help, and you go on and on in the opposite direction. How does that advertise your service? I'm a Mac person. Quite fluent in InDesign and Pages book publishing, Final Cut Pro video editing, DVD authoring, PHP and Javascript programming. Used to program CISCO Routers. We Mac people don't have to install software - to see if we can get it running. We just use it. That's why I bought my first Mac in 1984, and began the first desktop publishing newspaper in the Twin Cities. If I have to Install Eclipse, then I don't have to spend $19.99/month on top of the $79.99/year membership, to do something I was doing fine.

chris1
Code is Art
Austin, TX
05/27/14 07:27 PM (10 years ago)
Okay, sorry for misunderstanding your request then.

Nicks App
Code is Art
Las Vegas
05/27/14 09:34 PM (10 years ago)
For anyone who cared to read this far... with some judicious hacking, I got Xcode to Build and Simulate my config.txt file from 2 years ago! Looks great on the Simulator, but I think I will tackle installation on my iPhone tomorrow morning. BUT, hacking doesn't teach me anything new, about current technology. And, despite the hour conversation above, I am interested in learning something new about both Eclipse and Xcode from a Mac person. And a Mac person who is running current OSX and current Eclipse - not still using Eclipse from 2 years ago because it worked and works and you're too scared to update :) . I fought with Eclipse for another hour, before switching gears to Xcode. And another almost half-hour later, the Simulator did it's job! While waiting for a Mac Eclipse person to consult with here, I will continue with Xcode and my iPhone. I think my biggest concern is - again - having the App point to the data file (be it config.txt or some other name) on my server, for the current config, not only what's in the guts of the App. Maybe that's another thread discussion. If there is a good recent discussion, from 2014 or maybe 2013, pointing me to the link would be really great. The same config.txt file works on both iOS and Android, so once I get it on my iPhone 5S, I'll probably go back to building additional config.txt files for US, Canada, SoAm, etc - and waiting on another head banging session with Eclipse and Android. Thanks in advance...

Nicks App
Code is Art
Las Vegas
05/27/14 09:48 PM (10 years ago)
"See the instructions.pdf file included with this download for details about how to compile this app's source code and run it on the simulator." instructions.pdf not included! iOS version. The README.txt was, no .PDFs. The Simulator ran fine. I just want to double check, according to the rules, that I prepare the right file to put on my iPhone.

ianJamesPiano
Code is Art
Reg: Feb 13, 2011
Palm Springs, C...
05/28/14 12:39 PM (10 years ago)
Hi Nicks App, Have you watched GoNorthWest's youtube videos on installing Eclipse? The ADT bundle makes it pretty east and these vids are great. I just reinstalled my Eclipse following his vids. Let us know how it goes. https://www.youtube.com/user/GoNorthWest

Nicks App
Code is Art
Las Vegas
05/28/14 12:52 PM (10 years ago)
I can... BUT... the video is 1 year and 2-3 months old, and OSX Mavericks is 6 months old, and Eclipse 5.1.1 is in that time range. I have done both the bundle and the individual Eclipse downloads 4-5 times. The current menu screens are not the same as the video, nor the help files. I will try again, in a bit. Right now, I got Xcode and my iOS App working, and I want to dog that a bit more. THANKS

Nicks App
Code is Art
Las Vegas
05/28/14 12:53 PM (10 years ago)
And thoughts on the missing .PDF from the IOS download?

MacApple
Apple Fan
Reg: Oct 25, 2010
USA
05/28/14 03:23 PM (10 years ago)
Keep at the iOS, get your confidence back up. Android can be weird in my experience, made apps on it but tend to stick to iOS. Good comprehensive apps can be made easily once you get it running. We'll all get you there, worry not. Many of us have been in the same boat. Stick with it.

Nicks App
Code is Art
Las Vegas
05/31/14 07:43 PM (10 years ago)
I got my Self Hosted Server running. The shell of my Travel Map App is very simple, so instead of copying it over from BT, I just built it new! The shell is simple, the Brains is my config.txt, which I create via a PHP script that writes out the Javascript code. There were a couple of bumps in the road in doing that, but I hacked my way through. I have the working App on my iPhone 5S. I have a few new questions, but I will start a new thread, as this one got a bit convoluted, a couple of days ago. Maybe tonight, maybe Sunday morning, as it has been a long and successful day. Probably going to go for a walk for some fresh air.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.