Discussion Forums  >  Maps, Device Location, Tracking

Replies: 5    Views: 92

BUFFALOBT
Lost but trying
Reg: Mar 21, 2013
Scottsdale
03/21/13 10:02 AM (11 years ago)

Quick question regarding location capabilities-

Is it possible for a user of my future app to enter their physical address, and have any signed in user within a 5 mile radius of that address(using their smartphone as well) show up? Thanks for your help!

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
03/21/13 12:51 PM (11 years ago)
It 'could' but what you'll need to do is record the address, have the google api reverse geolocate the address and compute the distance between them and the closest xx number of 'hits'. Not difficult, but will require some dedication. I think it would be easier done on the server side; a php/mysql solution might be completed with less time. Cheers! -- Smug

BUFFALOBT
Lost but trying
Scottsdale
03/21/13 02:03 PM (11 years ago)
Thanks Smug- appreciate it! Do you know of anyone who would be willing to build this for me?

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
03/21/13 02:13 PM (11 years ago)
No, but if you're interested in playing with this sort of thing yourself, I've created a little 'tool kit' that you can play with, using the 'loadScreenObject' Json element to create new screens on the fly from a php script with a MySQL back end. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/115208762/loadScreenObject.zip Snoop through that. I might make things a bit easier to understand. Or worse, lol! The basic starting point would be to use a menu00.php as your 'dataURL' for the first menu screen. the rest after that are dynamic. I really can't remember how far I took this, as I have a modified version that I'm using now. But 'as far as I know' it should take a location, and determine how far it is from the current location, and display it as part of the data returned to the app. I have to use GPS coordinates, because reverse geocoding doesn't work out here. Cheers! -- Smug

BUFFALOBT
Lost but trying
Scottsdale
03/21/13 02:18 PM (11 years ago)
Thanks again Smug- this is very helpful! I'm looking for a developer to partner with me on this app idea...someone to build it, then revenue share ongoing.

farcat
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 27, 2012
France
09/01/13 04:27 AM (10 years ago)
Very very much looking forward to seeing this plugin on the market @SmugWimp! It will be a huge improvement on at least three of my apps! @BUFFALOBT, did you have a look at Mark's "Posting a Device's Current Location" tutorial? It might be the start of a solution. https://www.buzztouch.com/files/howtos/Posting_Current_Location_to_a_Database_v1.0.pdf Cheers, Farcat

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.