Discussion Forums  >  Maps, Device Location, Tracking

Replies: 6    Views: 106

LevensGardener
Aspiring developer
Reg: Sep 30, 2012
Kendal
02/23/13 08:39 AM (11 years ago)

'Offline' mapping and location link pins

I'm creating a location based guiding app... The buzztouch location map plugin is excellent and allows placed map pins to link off to further descriptive pages. My problem is there is no good mobile signal with which to download the map tiles in the area where it will be used. As an alternative, I would like to use a PDF (or JPG?) plan of the area. I would like to drop pins on the items of interest and have these link these out to descriptive pages. Just like the buzztouch solution above, but here the mapping would already be built into the app for 'offline' use. Any ideas how I could go about this? Thanks. Chris

farcat
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 27, 2012
France
02/23/13 01:50 PM (11 years ago)
Hi Chris, The solution is to use a html screen and set up a map as the background. Then you overlay images (or icons, pins, arrows, etc...) on it exactly where you want with CSS. Farcat

LevensGardener
Aspiring developer
Kendal
02/24/13 01:16 AM (11 years ago)
Thanks Farcat- I'll be giving it a go...

JimmySaver
Aspiring developer
Reg: Apr 09, 2012
location unknow...
02/25/13 12:15 PM (11 years ago)
Hi Chris, Good luck with this, it was something I was struggling with for a while. Farcat's solution is elegant, providing that you don't need to zoom in on the map. If you do, you'll need to start with tiles and a database - it's incredibly complex. Try mapbox and tilemill first if you're going down this route.

LevensGardener
Aspiring developer
Kendal
02/26/13 12:48 AM (11 years ago)
Hello JimmySaver, I had a look at one of Farcat's apps, and his solution seems to work- even with zoom enabled. Did you succeed with your project? Have you implemented a tilemill solution? Chris

JimmySaver
Aspiring developer
Reg: Apr 09, 2012
location unknow...
02/26/13 01:14 AM (11 years ago)
Hi Chris, I see what you mean. The example that I can see seems to be a PDF and/or image. To make the HTML with background, I assume you'd have to launch the page with some kind of reduced initial viewscale. Depending on the size of the area, it could work. (Otherwise, you can always download one 'tile' from an open source mapping project). I had the mapbox test SDK working, but haven't got round to try and integrate with BT. I think I'm maybe overcomplicating the situation with tiles, but their use does give a native solution rather than a HTML / PDF workaround. I'll let you know if I get anywhere.

farcat
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 27, 2012
France
02/26/13 01:29 AM (11 years ago)
Hi, You are quite right there, the HTML solution would work better on small areas and might not be suitable for all projects. My suggestion was just to keep things simple though, most people would be able to use it with limited coding knowledge. There are some nice Jquery scripts out there to make this solution very sweet indeed. @JimmySaver, I am looking forward to seeing your integration of mapbox, sounds promising! Farcat

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.