Discussion Forums  >  WebViews and HTML for Mobile

Replies: 5    Views: 132

Rad Doc
Apple Fan
Reg: Oct 08, 2010
USA, NYC
03/17/13 02:27 PM (11 years ago)

Make website a mobile website ?

Does anyone know of any good tools or sites that will allow me to make my regular website a mobile friendly site. Thanks

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
03/17/13 02:39 PM (11 years ago)
My 'content management system' of choice is Joomla. In v3 they've started accommodating mobile devices in the main code of the CMS. No 'major' work needed to make the site 'mobile'. A few other CMS's are doing the same thing. You 'might' want to look at an upgrade or replacement of your CMS, or you might want to move into a JQuery powered site, depending on your skills. Cheers! -- Smug

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
03/17/13 02:51 PM (11 years ago)
For WordPress, there are several plugins that will do the trick, including some paid ones, which will change the size of images in text if there is a need. On a mobile phone, no site will look really great, on tablets it may look like a normal site, only smaller. If you need to do it on a larger scale, a tool such as Artisteer will come handy. I have lots of experience with it and it does produce a so called "responsive design", meaning that the size of the site will fit the screen. If you are on Joomla, the new version 3.0, which is in the final stages of beta, will also produce mobilized websites. If you want to test how your site looks like in various mobile devices, go to Google and search for "firefox plugin mobile emulator". It is very instructive to go to a seemingly clean and innocently looking site such as google.com, change your mobile browser type via one of those Firefox plugins, and see how the site transforms itself. There's much more than meets the eye to google.com!

jvalley
Aspiring developer
Reg: Feb 16, 2013
Green Bay,Wi
03/17/13 03:04 PM (11 years ago)
Adobe muse u can do tablet and phone separate from you site.. I think I pay 15 a month though but it's worth it

Nick Langley
Apple Fan
Reg: May 08, 2012
Birmingham, Uni...
03/18/13 01:08 AM (11 years ago)
you should look at www.Breezi.com they have a really powerful WYSIWYG editor, they also have redirect for mobile only, plus you can use it with you own hosting AND it has an on site FTP uploader. Simple. Quick & Easy.

Rad Doc
Apple Fan
Reg: Oct 08, 2010
USA, NYC
03/18/13 01:31 AM (11 years ago)
Great feedback. Thank you for the advice.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.