Discussion Forums  >  Introduce Yourself

Replies: 5    Views: 69

Darktiger
Aspiring developer
Reg: Dec 17, 2013
Whangarei
12/17/13 11:30 PM (10 years ago)

Newbie here, looking for a few experienced Java/XML coders.

So I started delving into the whole app development side of programming after doing a two year course in programming at my high school where I gained a shallow understanding of Python. Now that I'm out of school I would like to focus my attention onto app development, but I would like to find a few people who wouldn't mind answering my questions and taking me through some of the basic development stages. I know there's a tutorial on here, but I really just do better when I have other people who are willing to help me out.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
12/18/13 02:04 AM (10 years ago)
Welcome to Buzztouch! Straight up, I'm not your guy, lol! If you have a specific question, I'll give a specific answer. Or if you have issues with a concept, I'm happy to chip in with whatever knowledge or explanation I can give to help you understand something. But if you ask me 'how do I build an app that flies west while whistling dixie', I'll point you to Google. ;) For iOS, I usually consult www.raywenderlich.com or Google (which usually sends me to one or more 'stack overflow' pages) For Android/Java, I've always appreciated the mind of mook yong (www.mkyong.com) or some of the stuff at Vogella (www.vogella.com/android.html) There's a hundred places to go for tutorials and such, and the forums are here to help as well. Get your home system ready to go by checking out GoNorthWest's tutorials on Youtube (www.youtube.com/gonorthwest). He has a few '20 minute tutorials' on setting up Eclipse with whatever OS you have, so pick the right one. The BT How To section (www.buzztouch.com/resources) has a fair amount of tutorials on various Xcode/Android topics, be sure to read GoNorthWest's tutorials on setting up your Eclipse (Android) Debugger, so when someone asks 'what does the logs say' you'll be able to answer them. Keep in mind that although things are done a little differently in Buzztouch, it's a mindset, and not a language thing. The Java you learn is the same Java you'll need for any environment. The Xcode you learn is the same Xcode as any other iPhone app. You don't 'need' to know php, mysql, or other 'Lamp' technologies, but like anything else, it helps. Once you get a grip on what you'll have to do, take a look through the plugin market and see what's available. Then think of projects you can do 'with what is there' rather than some magical vision that might be difficult to create. Once you get an app or two under your belt, you'll be in a better position to determine what time frame you'll need for something substantial. My personal goal is still about a year off, but each app I build has a small piece of the puzzle inside of it, and slowly we're making progress :) And questions 'will' be inevitable. You've found the right place. The forum is pretty active, and folks are always happy to help if they can, or give ideas if they can't. We're all fairly supportive of new folks, and look forward to seeing your vision come to life. Cheers! -- Smug

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
12/18/13 08:17 AM (10 years ago)
Welcome to Buzztouch, @Darktiger! Smug has summed things up perfectly. There are TONS of people here who will answer your specific questions, and a well formed Google query often takes you straight to your answer. But ultimately, you'll find no better place than this forum to get your answers and help guide you on your path. And you'll find that Smug is one of the best "resources" around! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with! Mark

Darktiger
Aspiring developer
Reg: Dec 17, 2013
Whangarei
12/18/13 12:37 PM (10 years ago)
Thanks guys for the warm welcome, I guess I'll try the tutorials out and see how it goes xP

Patrickmotox
Aspiring developer
Reg: Dec 10, 2013
Cameron Park, C...
12/18/13 11:46 PM (10 years ago)
Yes. Welcome. And the vids are great for learning. They help me find so many things I would have asked about, but now don't have to. I will save the questions for the stuff I can't find out in the splinternet.

Rafique-India
Aspiring developer
Reg: Dec 14, 2013
Navi Mumbai, IN...
12/21/13 06:02 PM (10 years ago)
"Learning by Doing" is the best approach at BT

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.