Discussion Forums  >  Introduce Yourself

Replies: 8    Views: 101

Mr_Atlantis
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jan 30, 2014
Milford
01/30/14 07:22 PM (10 years ago)

Ready to Learn

Hello everyone. I've come to learn and I look forward to being a part of a community that shares the interest in creation.

allandriggers
Apple Fan
Reg: Dec 13, 2012
Knoxville, TN
01/30/14 07:30 PM (10 years ago)
Welcome to Buzztouch MR Atlantis. I wish you much success. Allan

Mr_Atlantis
Aspiring developer
Milford
01/30/14 07:33 PM (10 years ago)
Thanks Allan.

Mr_Atlantis
Aspiring developer
Milford
01/30/14 07:35 PM (10 years ago)
After browsing for the last hour or so, I'm begining to notice that the iOS and the use of a Mac is slightly domineering. I'm a PC user - will this be trouble for me?

allandriggers
Apple Fan
Reg: Dec 13, 2012
Knoxville, TN
01/30/14 07:46 PM (10 years ago)
No. It just means you will be limited to creating android apps for a while.

Mr_Atlantis
Aspiring developer
Milford
01/30/14 07:50 PM (10 years ago)
Very well.

chris1
Code is Art
Reg: Aug 10, 2012
Austin, TX
01/30/14 10:06 PM (10 years ago)
Welcome! Alan is right - without a Mac, you're going to be limited to Android apps only. And unfortunately, there's not as many plugins for Android as iOS currently. There's some good reasons for that, but it still puts Android developers at a disadvantage. That being said, you can still do some amazing things with an Android app and Buzztouch. And once you start learning a few tricks of the trade, you'll find the possibilities endless. Ask plenty of questions on here - it's one of the friendliest and most helpful programming communities on the Internet.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
01/30/14 10:58 PM (10 years ago)
Welcome! I think you'll find that this is probably the best environment around for both development and mobile, slightly on the social side. There's a great group of people from all spectrums of life and experience, and before you know it you're family. I can only echo what everyone else has said, but I could mention that Both Java and Objective-C have their roots in 'C', so they're not *that* different from each other. I try and develop in both Android and iOS, because I develop apps for my community, and it's about half and half. One of the unsung features of Buzztouch is the way David built the core functions of the Android and iOS core so that they're almost identical. The same calls that you make in Android, while not the 'exact' same call in iOS, is pretty similar. So while there is still a learning curve, it's not nearly as bad as if you were learning both from scratch doing 'hello world' from two different perspectives. As your experience gets deeper and your 'quiver' of tricks increases, it only strengthens your ability on either platform. Enjoy, check out the resources in the BT university videos, Scour the You Tube channels for Buzztouch, Check out the new user webinars from the schedule, Check out a few 'How To' documents, and just have a great time while getting a feel for the place. You've come at a great/horrible time, lol! The changes in BT over the last year have really been logarithmic, and some documentation has been pulled, that no longer applies. However, new documentation hasn't been completed yet. So if you have any questions, however basic you think they might be, go ahead and ask. If nothing else, you're helping out the next person with the same question. :) Cheers! -- Smug

Mr_Atlantis
Aspiring developer
Milford
01/31/14 12:02 AM (10 years ago)
Thank you everyone for the support! I will start my first BTU video right now. There is a dialog box that explains how the courses for plugins and a couple others are not available. Is this because I am not a member yet? Or is this what you were talking about Smug?

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.