Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 9    Views: 95

CMCOFFEE
Android Fan
Reg: Jan 04, 2013
Amarillo, Texas
02/11/15 05:22 PM (9 years ago)

PHP vs PYTHON vs RUBY

Hey yall, which programming language is the best to make a data driven website that I can integrate with an apps that are driven with the same data? Im thinking of using php mostly because its really the only one Ianguage I know.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
02/11/15 05:36 PM (9 years ago)
You can do it with any of them. I prefer PHP however, and never bothered too much with Python or Ruby. Or any other server side scripting language for that matter. Keep in mind, the goal is 'the goal'. Whatever takes you there the fastest, is the preferred method. There will be times when folks will say 'for this purpose, it's better if you use *this* (or that)'. But there isn't anything you want to do that can't be done with PHP. And if something can be done in a couple of hours with PHP, why would I spend days trying to figure out a different method just because 'its better'. What's 'better' is a finished product. Just my 2¢ Cheers! -- Smug

chadh0130
Apple Fan
Reg: Nov 05, 2011
Rhode Island
02/11/15 06:16 PM (9 years ago)
Depends on what exactly it needs to be tied to, but ruby+rails seems like the obvious choice perl, java, and even *shudder* php

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
02/11/15 08:29 PM (9 years ago)
If you want to invest in learning a new programming language, I recently read an article that says Python is the most desired language by employers at the moment. I know we make extensive use of Python where I work. Mark

Iaxia
I hate code!
Reg: Feb 04, 2012
Toronto
02/11/15 09:24 PM (9 years ago)
Obviously... everyone's wrong!! You should learn the R language (excuse the selfish plug)! http://tinyurl.com/cp7tq66 Seriously though, I'm a big fan of Python - but gotta go with Smug's general answer of go with what works.

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
02/11/15 10:45 PM (9 years ago)
PHP is good enough for Facebook, and Ruby on Rails is good enough for Twitter... Obviously, all these languages can be made to "work" for you. Personally, I use CakePHP when it comes to server side languages. It is a general programming framework based on PHP, meaning, you always can go to PHP if you don't like something that CakePHP is offering. The idea behind CakePHP is to have Ruby on Rails within PHP and that goal is achieved. I have also found that the learning curve for CakePHP is a steep one, so would not recommend it for a new and important project. There are many other frameworks, Yii, Laravel, the list is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_application_frameworks In the end, I'd go with Smug's advice: the path of least resistance to get things done.

CMCOFFEE
Android Fan
Amarillo, Texas
02/12/15 11:37 AM (9 years ago)
Cool stuff! Thanks guys! I do plan on learning python and Ruby eventually but will chose php for now. I recently purchased that name your own price backend bundle from stack social that had these three languages included, which made me question. I heard of cake php but never looked into what it was.it does sound tough to learn. Do you have to know ruby on rails or does it just use that language in its classes and you just make php calls from it?I don't know if that makes sense.

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
02/12/15 02:26 PM (9 years ago)
>it does sound tough to learn Yes it is tough to learn because the guy who invented it copied concepts from Ruby on Rails, as literally as he could. So you learn a new framework and you learn RoR concepts at the same time and that is what makes it so strange. Save for that conceptual level, CakePHP has nothing to do with any other language except PHP itself. It is a PHP framework written in PHP. On the other hand, to get a running web app / site, you only have to supply the database, and Cake will produce hundreds and thousands of lines of PHP code so that you have an app literally within minutes. However, it is only fair to say that most of the other PHP frameworks offer such a functionality these days. http://cakephp.org/ The company that develops CakePHP is http://www.cakedc.com/

Susan Metoxen
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: May 01, 2011
Hopkins, Minnes...
02/12/15 03:56 PM (9 years ago)
Why not stick with PHP, because then you can extend the Buzztouch software? There is so much code already available to us. I will check out CakePHP.org, though, because that sounds cool. I love shortcuts.

CMCOFFEE
Android Fan
Amarillo, Texas
02/12/15 04:12 PM (9 years ago)
cool thanks Dusko I understand now. Yea Im just going to stick with php.My plan is to have everything work with the buzztouch software. sounds good to me .thanks you all again!

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.