Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 7    Views: 33

clhend
Aspiring developer
Reg: Dec 23, 2014
Weatherford, TX
01/21/15 07:17 PM (9 years ago)

Excel Plugin Questions: Format and Accessing

Format: when the Excel document is hosted elsewhere and accessed via the plugin will it maintain the formatting used when creating the original? For instance, I uploaded a file to my server then accessed it via my Nook Color which opens it using QuickOffice. Unfortunately, the formatting was screwed up in many of the cells. I just want to make sure if I spend all this time formatting each of the Excel documents that they aren't screwed up when opened. Accessing: So when the Excel docs are self-hosted, the first time they are opened they are cached on the device. The next time the user clicks on the menu to access that file does it automatically open using the cached file? Does the user see the actual file name? Or do they not realize how the file is being accessed? Thanks for the answers.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
01/21/15 09:19 PM (9 years ago)
Hello! I think your question is a bit hard to answer without some testing. For iOS, since it opens natively, and not with a helper app like QuickOffice, I think it'll retain its formatting. I suspect that depends on if you use macros or other special formatting. The best thing to do is test and see what happens. There should be no difference between self-hosted or whether you include the file with the app. It reads it the same either way. For that plugin, you can configure it to force refresh each time. That way it'll always grab the latest version of the app. The user won't see the filename, as far as I can recall. They'll only see what you designate in the nav bar at the top. They will have no idea how the file is accessed, unless you do a force refresh, and the file is not available. Then they might figure out it's being hosted somewhere. But they'll have no idea where. Hope this helps a bit! Mark

clhend
Aspiring developer
Weatherford, TX
01/22/15 04:54 AM (9 years ago)
Right now I'm not concerned with iOS since I don't have an Apple product to enable me to do the building. I'm not using any special formatting or macros, but now I am wondering if I should just put it into a Word doc or even just in html. But I don't want to give the user the option of emailing the doc and that's what's showed in the Word display samples. Also on the html where is the formatting? I'm used to working with a css file to establishes the look and performance. Do I have to include the formatting script with each html file?

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
01/22/15 08:18 AM (9 years ago)
HTML would probably be your best bet. If you use a Word document, then Android requires a "helper app" to process it, and you then loose control of what can and can't be done with the document. If you use HTML, it can be viewed in the app itself, and people can't email it (unless you allow it). There are options in the HTML Plugin page. For HTML, there are multiple plugins you can use. You can use the Custom HTML/Text Plugin, which provides an editor and stores the pages on the BT server. Or, you can use one of the others, and point to either a URL, or include the document with the app. With respect to formatting, if you use the Custom HTML/Text plugin, you probably need to do inline CSS, unless you provide a URL for the CSS file. For the other plugins, you can do inline, or you can provide a CSS file and reference it like you normally would. Then just include the file wherever you put the doc...with the app, it would be in BT_Docs. Hope that helps! Keep the questions coming! Mark

clhend
Aspiring developer
Weatherford, TX
01/22/15 10:43 AM (9 years ago)
Thank you

clhend
Aspiring developer
Weatherford, TX
01/22/15 10:47 AM (9 years ago)
Since I'll be making the html pages through Word, all of the style info will be contained inside each file.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
01/22/15 11:06 AM (9 years ago)
Cool...that should work out just fine! Make sure you put the docs in the BT_Docs folder, including any associated CSS files or images. You can put the images in the same folder, or a subfolder, and the app will find them automagically.

clhend
Aspiring developer
Weatherford, TX
01/22/15 11:17 AM (9 years ago)
Cool thanks

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.