Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 16    Views: 93

alohadev
Aspiring developer
Reg: May 28, 2013
Honolulu
01/15/15 11:29 PM (9 years ago)

Annoucing Register to Unlock, and Falshcards X plugin

Hi everyone, So I now have two plug-ins available. One brand-new and shiny, and the other has been out for a while but I figure I would write about it here since I never had an intro post. I haven't been too active in the forums, I'm working on correcting that now, so please excuse my absence :-) -------------Register to Unlock---------------- Think of this plug-in as an in-app purchase (IAP), but the currency is an email instead of money. And no complicated iTunes connect settings to mess with to get it working. Works on both Android and iOS. This plug-in lets you easily "lock" content via a pop-up alert window asking the user to register their first name and email. It connects to the mailchimp service via a php helper file that I am hosting on my server, or you can self host if you like (there is a dropbox download of the php files inside the plugin for those who wish to self-host). I wish there was a way around the helper file, but I couldn't come up with one. I think its a pretty nifty plug-in, as there is no manual work for you to do once a user signs up, they are automatically added to whatever list you choose inside your mail chimp account and sent a welcome email or whatever email is first on that particular list. You can also show a thank you screen instead of locked content if you just want to have a menu item for something like: "Sign-up for our mailing list", or "Sign-up to get updates", etc! The sky is the limit and I think there are many potential uses for this kind of plug-in. I have already received one enhancement request, to basically wait to unlock the content until a user verifies they have gotten the email and clicks on the "confirm" link. That isn't supported at the moment, but I'm looking into the possibility of doing that. I'm not sure I can, but I'll post an update once I find out. I came up with this idea based on what I am already doing with some published (non-BT) apps I have made. This feature has worked really great for my education apps, and I have very high conversions once people get on my mailing list. Plus, if you happen to sell any products outside of the itunes store, this is a way to promote those as well. Capturing emails is really the most cost effective way of marketing that I have ever used, so if any chance to get a user's email is really valuable. Hope it helps somebody with their project! --------- Flashcards X ------------ This plug-in has been out for a while, and I've gotten a few downloads. Also, I have a published app in the app store running this plug-in now and it has been working well with about 1000 downloads so far in the last two weeks. Any kind of app that may use a quiz, could also potentially use this flashcard plug-in. My goal was to make it simple. Touch anywhere on the screen to go to the next flash card. Swipe Backwards to go back a card. Also, you can "mark cards for review", so if you get the answer wrong, mark it, and come back later. Lastly, either the front or back of the flashcard can be an image file if you like. This is based on exactly how I use physical flash cards for studying, so thats how I implemented the app. The app I published on the app store basically gives users one deck of flashcards for free, then I use the excellent IAP plugin from nadthevlad to hide the others behind a paywall. Works like a charm. ------------------ Anyway thats all for now. Any questions, or feed back for enhancements etc, please let me know! Best, Alohadev

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
01/16/15 12:53 AM (9 years ago)
Very nice!

mysps
Code is Art
Reg: May 14, 2011
Palma
01/16/15 04:41 AM (9 years ago)
Nice! It would be nice Aweber if you could and also if it can be unlocked after they verify their email. But if not, no problems because there is still a lot of potential in this plugin :) and the other one looks awesome as well. Good luck with all!

NCbuzz
Code is Art
Reg: Sep 11, 2013
Lillington, NC
01/16/15 09:35 AM (9 years ago)
Both sound cool. I am really interested in the Register to Unlock plugin so I can integrate App with Mail Chimp! Will watch to see if you are able to add a confirm option as described. Doing my best wrap up some current planned items in my App, so will probably be a 1-2 weeks before I can get the plugin. Looking forward to it. Congrats on both!

nadthevlad
Code is Art
Reg: Jun 07, 2012
Denver
01/16/15 11:01 AM (9 years ago)
Good job!

Arubaman
Aspiring developer
Reg: Oct 20, 2011
Akron
01/16/15 02:21 PM (9 years ago)
Congrats, very nice.

ianJamesPiano
Code is Art
Reg: Feb 13, 2011
Palm Springs, C...
01/18/15 11:49 AM (9 years ago)
Excellent features!

NCbuzz
Code is Art
Lillington, NC
01/19/15 06:57 AM (9 years ago)
Noticed the plugin version listed is 1.1. I may have missed info in a forum post... Was there an update, or was that the original version launched?

alohadev
Aspiring developer
Honolulu
01/19/15 06:44 PM (9 years ago)
Hey NCbuzz! No changes yet, but I'm working on the email verification enhancement request. I think I'll be able to do it, probably in the next few days. I'll post an annoucment once I get that working. Thanks!

ianJamesPiano
Code is Art
Reg: Feb 13, 2011
Palm Springs, C...
01/19/15 07:39 PM (9 years ago)
Sweetness!

NCbuzz
Code is Art
Lillington, NC
01/20/15 07:09 AM (9 years ago)
Great news!

alohadev
Aspiring developer
Honolulu
01/22/15 12:31 AM (9 years ago)
OK, so for those interested I got subscription verification working! You can turn it on and off in the control panel for the plugin. When it is on, the user will be returned to the main menu after they submit their email. If they click on the register screen again before confirming their email, they will be shown an alert and returned to the main menu. Once they confirm their email, then click on the register screen again, the content will now be unlocked. Thanks for the idea guys, I definitely think this makes the plug-in more versatile.

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Cerritos
01/22/15 12:33 AM (9 years ago)
Yay! :-)

NCbuzz
Code is Art
Lillington, NC
01/23/15 10:25 AM (9 years ago)
Great job! I know what I will be checking out this weekend :) PS if you update the comments in the plugin description with what is new/changed in new versions- it helps.

NCbuzz
Code is Art
Lillington, NC
01/31/15 09:00 PM (9 years ago)
I will post a review soon, but wanted to let those interested know that alohadev's support for this plugin is outstanding. Based upon some discussions here shortly after launch, he added the feature to have the email addresses confirmed via MailChimp prior to the screen unlock. - I am running on iOS 7, and it works great. MailChimp was easy to setup, and the two FAQs on the plugin market are really all you need to get going.

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Cerritos
02/01/15 12:00 AM (9 years ago)
That's way cool, Mustang. We always love hearing feedback from the plugin fans. Nice iteration there by AlohaDev! -- Niraj

alohadev
Aspiring developer
Honolulu
02/01/15 05:26 AM (9 years ago)
Thanks guys! :-)

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.