Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 19    Views: 88

NCbuzz
Code is Art
Reg: Sep 11, 2013
Lillington, NC
01/15/15 11:30 AM (9 years ago)

Register to Unlock Plugin - Questions

Aloahdev, Assume announcement coming shortly, but wanted to ask a few questions upfront about The new Register to Unlock plugin: http://www.buzztouch.com/plugins/plugin.php?pid=2AFA7C89D4AC294D4C569F4 Not currently using Mail Chimp, but would like to start. The plugin sounds great! Questions: 1) Does the plugin/Mail Chimp perform any email validation as part of the registration process. (In other words is an email sent to the user that they need to activate which then completes registration?) 2) Is the registration screen called seperately or when attempting to open the first locked screen? Thanks!

alohadev
Aspiring developer
Reg: May 28, 2013
Honolulu
01/15/15 11:09 PM (9 years ago)
Hey All, Been a bit delayed, but will write an intro post shortly. Yes, I like Mail Chimp, especially since their basic plan is free. I was going to use Aweber initially, and may add support for that in a second release, but for now Mail Chimp is a great way to start. If there are other mail services people use, let me know. If they have developer support and a decent PHP API, then I can probably make it work with the plugin. Answers: 1) Yes, an email is sent to confirm their regisration. However, the app does not check for this. So, a user could theoretically "game" the plugin and get the content by entering an invalid email. However, the other thing to consider in implementing a confirmation check, is that they will have to exit the app, click on an email, and come back to the app which may disrupt the flow a bit. Regardless, I'll look into adding this feature in the next release if there is an API call in mailchimp to support that (I'll have to check) 2) I hope I get what you want to know with this question, but the registration screen will be invoked via this plug-in only. If you add the "locked" screen to the menu, the registration pop-up will not be called. Does that make sense? Any other questions, let me know!

NCbuzz
Code is Art
Lillington, NC
01/16/15 09:53 AM (9 years ago)
Thanks for the detailed response. I added a comment on your new announcement. 1- Hope there is a way for this option behind the scene. 2a) I get that if Screen-A has Register to Unlock added, that once registered that screen is always available. 2b) If I also add Register to Unlock on a menu item, after regustrataion will all screens that had Register to Unlock (Sceeen-A, Screen-B, and Screen-C) now also be unlocked?

alohadev
Aspiring developer
Honolulu
01/22/15 12:39 AM (9 years ago)
Per my other post, I got subscription verification working. Its selectable from the control panel in case some people don't want it. And I just saw part 2 of your question, and yes thats the way it works now. So once a user registers, all register screens will be unlocked. So if a user registers for screen A, screens B and C will also be unlocked. Honestly I thought about changing that, so you could require multiple registrations in the same app. But I don't think it makes sense, once a user is registered, what is the point of asking them to register again? So, now its register once, and all register screens in the app should be unlocked. I'm open feedback if thats the way it should work or not, I'll see what people think or how others end up actually using it -Aaron

NCbuzz
Code is Art
Lillington, NC
01/25/15 10:10 AM (9 years ago)
Sounds good to me. Off and trying it out now... Probably made a simple mistake on my end... ========================================= Registered at MailChimp, and added the plugin to an existing test app and set all required fields (Mailchimp API Key and List Key) etc, in BT Control Panel. The test app simply has a Main menu and only one row for a screen. Have the screen to unlock selected, (confirmed correct ID in config.txt), and app is using correct ScreenItemId. ================ 1) My problem is that the plugin screen can be accessed as normal, and the Register plugin is not being activated? (break in HO_registeralert.m never is hit? App looks same as before opening the screen. 2) Added a second menu item that calls the Register Screen. The Registration Process (requiring confirmation) went fine, but I have not received a confirmation email. No when I tap on the Register menu item an alert is displayed "Please Subscribe your Email ID First !!! Ideas what I did wrong in setup?

alohadev
Aspiring developer
Honolulu
01/25/15 08:32 PM (9 years ago)
Hey NCBuzz, glad you are giving it a shot! Now let me give a shot to your questions. 1) I guess I didn't explain it correctly, to activate the registration plugin, you have to call the actual register screen, it won't be activated by calling the protected screen. The protected screen is not really protected at all, it just won't show it until the registration is complete (security by obscurity, unfortunately). So if you call that screen from elsewhere, then it will show for sure. In order to protect that screen, it should ONLY be called as a result of the Register screen completing a successful registration. Sorry if there was any confusion there, but this sounds like this is working as expected. I can update plugin wording to reflect this. 2) Hmm this is odd. Can you check your mailchimp account, was there any user added to your list? When mailchimp gets a new user to a list, a confirmation email is usually sent automatically. The screen will not show until your user is confirmed by clicking on that link...so this is working correctly except for you not getting the email. Take a look at Mail Chimp and see if you got anything. If you were added in mailchimp, then the mail got lost in spam. If there is no user in mailchimp, then there is a plugin problem and we'll look into it Hope that helps, I'm here for questions! -Aaron

NCbuzz
Code is Art
Lillington, NC
01/26/15 09:06 AM (9 years ago)
1) Makes total sense now. Call the register screen, which will then load desired screen in settings if registered. 2) I will test tonight with new emails after verifying list settings for more details... Thanks

NCbuzz
Code is Art
Lillington, NC
01/26/15 07:33 PM (9 years ago)
Good news on (2) I had entered my "List Name" rather than the "List ID" as specified in the plugin. After correcting the registration part worked fine :) As the test user I received my confirmation email, and updated and confirmed. So #2 can be chalked up to configuration error on my part. 3) Immediately after the first time I entered my info in the App as a user registering (Firstname and email) The "Please subscribe your email ID First!!!" alert was displayed. This should only appear if the user had registered and attempted to select again prior to confirming their email. This alert should not appear during the initial install. A different alert could be displayed which has language something like: "Now Please check your email to confirm your registration." 4a) If the user tries to access the screen again after registering and before confirming, the alert is displayed correctly. However when it goes away I have just a blank white screen. Have to hit refresh to recover. 4b) As a test user... After confirming my registration, I can select the registered screen, however the area below the Navbar is solid white, and back button yields blank white screen like 4a. (Only way to recover is close the app. Then next time it is a white screen again. Possible that 4a and 4b maybe because I am using a personal plugin (uses a xib, but looks like it has the correct ScrenID and Nickname?). Don't think so, but I will try with other standard BT plugin tomorrow. =================== By the way I know this is going to be really cool. The MailChimp list part works great.

alohadev
Aspiring developer
Honolulu
01/26/15 08:29 PM (9 years ago)
Hey NCBuzz. -Yup 3 is a bug, I'll add it to the list and call it a medium priority. -As for your comments: A different alert could be displayed which has language something like: "Now Please check your email to confirm your registration." -> Yes you can do that now, set that as your Thank You message, make the text whatever you wish, but something like that makes sense. -I hate the wording on the ALERT: Please subscribe your email ID First!!!, so I changed it to be better english. Please download the latest plugin code. -4a, 4b: I cannot reproduce these, maybe something to do with your config? Please let me know if you see those again running something standard. In my app running standard config now, those don't happen. Thanks for all your feedback!

NCbuzz
Code is Art
Lillington, NC
01/27/15 07:01 PM (9 years ago)
Ok 3 is fixed with last nights new version of the plugin :) ============== 4a is happening with regular plugins. Have a test app with the register plugin hooked to a blank plugin (with a red background). If I register (without confirmation) the blank plugin is displayed correctly. However the next time I select the menu entry with the register I get the 4a solid white screen. Happens with two different plugins tested (1H4B and Blank) Code around line 275-281 (LoadScreen_whenRegiter_complete) is not visually changing screen... ============= FYI ============================ I am running on Xcode 6.2, Based SDK iOS 8.2, Deployment target iOS 7.0 running on iPhone 5C

alohadev
Aspiring developer
Honolulu
01/27/15 07:20 PM (9 years ago)
OK let me look into it thanks

NCbuzz
Code is Art
Lillington, NC
01/27/15 07:27 PM (9 years ago)
Here is debug info from runtime: 2015-01-27 21:16:33.945 testsendpic[157:60b] HO_regsiteralert: loadScreenWithItemId (super) itemId:6B66467C350B1D8B049C6 2015-01-27 21:16:33.947 testsendpic[157:60b] BT_application: getScreenDataByItemId 6B66467C350B1D8B049C6 2015-01-27 21:16:33.948 testsendpic[157:60b] BT_application: screenType is BT_screen_blank for screen with nickname: "Blank" and itemId: 6B66467C350B1D8B049C6 2015-01-27 21:16:33.948 testsendpic[157:60b] HO_regsiteralert: handleTapToLoadScreen (super) loading nickname: "Blank" itemId: 6B66467C350B1D8B049C6 itemType: BT_screen_blank 2015-01-27 21:16:33.949 testsendpic[157:60b] BT_application: getViewControllerForScreen nickname: "Blank" itemId: 6B66467C350B1D8B049C6 type: BT_screen_blank 2015-01-27 21:16:33.950 testsendpic[157:60b] BT_screen_blank: INIT 2015-01-27 21:16:33.951 testsendpic[157:60b] BT_navController: pushViewController 2015-01-27 21:16:33.974 testsendpic[157:60b] Unbalanced calls to begin/end appearance transitions for <BT_screen_blank: 0x17ec2e10>. 2015-01-27 21:16:37.117 testsendpic[157:60b] testsendpic_appDelegate: supportedInterfaceOrientationsForWindow ======== note: I removed a few digits from itemID above

NCbuzz
Code is Art
Lillington, NC
01/27/15 07:36 PM (9 years ago)
While you are in that area of code... have you thought about adding the ability to change the screen transition from the default push. Fade, etc.

alohadev
Aspiring developer
Honolulu
01/27/15 10:52 PM (9 years ago)
ok please re-download and check again, I think its fixed. Interestingly it was an iOS7 vs iOS8 issue, as in iOS8 it worked fine before but the error was apparent in iOS7. Anyway, let me know if its fixed now. As for transitions, I'll add it to the enhancement request list for now :-)

NCbuzz
Code is Art
Lillington, NC
01/28/15 10:27 AM (9 years ago)
The good news (tested with several plugins) Partial fix: (+) The screen transition works fine after registering (without confirmation required) (-) When the option is Yes for confirmation required, still get white screen.

alohadev
Aspiring developer
Honolulu
01/28/15 10:59 PM (9 years ago)
ok please re-download and try again Thanks, Aaron

NCbuzz
Code is Art
Lillington, NC
01/29/15 08:48 PM (9 years ago)
May have exhibited this before, but confirmed this with the latest version: Will try and add some more details: (-) Immediately after registering (with yes), if you respond to the email and return to the app, you get the full white screen. (same as before) However (+) Close the App fully.Launch the app again- and from this point forward it works fine. Hopefully this will make it easier to find. Thanks!

alohadev
Aspiring developer
Honolulu
01/31/15 01:02 AM (9 years ago)
ok dokey....well that was annoying :-) But I think I got it now. I have tested it on the simulator for both iOS 7.1 and 8.1, seems to be good now at least in my setup. Let me know your findings. -Aaron

NCbuzz
Code is Art
Lillington, NC
01/31/15 08:03 AM (9 years ago)
Great job!! Works slick- thanks for the quick fix. This really makes the plugin Super Usefull to help build a reliable mailing list. I will post a review this weekend. (In the Plugin market: You should kick up the version number and add note that was modded for iOS7) Thanks again!

alohadev
Aspiring developer
Honolulu
01/31/15 09:14 AM (9 years ago)
Hey, glad it works! Yeah good idea about version number...hope it helps your app! -Aaron

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.