Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 6    Views: 52

stewdesignjts
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jan 05, 2015
huntsville al
01/13/15 10:41 AM (9 years ago)

menu simple problem - using device back button when at home

Trying to make a simple app for work with 3 rows of menu buttons with sub-menus under those. I'm using the "menu simple" plug-in. On two devices (samsung galaxy tab pro, and old lg 4.1.2 phone) when the app is at home and you push the device's back button, the menu rows duplicate as many times as you push the button and it makes a mess of the screen. You have to kill the app to fix it. If you are in a sub-menu, the back button works correctly. However on a brand new Droid Turbo just causes the app to freeze when i hit the back button and you have to wait for the unresponsive app screen to come up to get it going again. I saw that some people had the duplicated rows issue a couple of years ago but i'm curious if there was a fix? If i could make the app ignore the device's back button that would be fine. thanks, jason

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
01/13/15 11:55 AM (9 years ago)
I have not seen this problem myself on my android apps. I'm wondering if it is related to the menu simple plugin? You could try the buttons menu just to see if it shows the same problem. Also, if you are self hosted, you have the option of compiling for BT 2,x or compiling with BT 3.0, which may be worth experimenting with. If you find it is the menu simple plugin, you could try the menu with image plugin, because it offers the option of a second line description and an an icon.

stewdesignjts
Aspiring developer
huntsville al
01/13/15 12:40 PM (9 years ago)
I actually made it act differently by accident. I had the same problem listed here too: http://www.buzztouch.com/forum/thread.php?tid=2372E48011F53F3FBF43F88&currentPage=90 ... so i edited the code as described the last post in that thread. It fixed the partial text loss on the Droid Turbo, and made the back button work MOST of the time, which is very interesting. jason

MichM
Aspiring developer
Reg: Feb 08, 2015
California
02/25/15 07:32 PM (9 years ago)
I'm have the duplicate, even triplicate problem with my app using Menu Simple. When you use the phone's back button while on the menu simple screen, it will do this. I'm experiencing this on my 7 inch tablet and in the Eclipse emulator.

MichM
Aspiring developer
Reg: Feb 08, 2015
California
02/25/15 07:46 PM (9 years ago)
I just tried editing the code per the instructions on the link @stewdesignjts provided...but it still does not help.

stewdesignjts
Aspiring developer
huntsville al
02/27/15 08:59 AM (9 years ago)
Hi Mich, yes i still have that problem randomly on some devices. i wish i could make the app ignore the device back button and the user would use the button on the screen. I think the root lies in the fact that the apple devices don't have this button and it is not handled in the code. jason

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
02/27/15 11:18 AM (9 years ago)
Sounds like you may have found a bug in Menu Simple. Have you considered trying one of the other menu plugins?

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.