David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 01, 2010
Monterey, CA
01/08/15 04:24 PM (9 years ago)

GC Overhead Limit Exceeded

Hi gang, Anyone else getting a "GC Overhead Limit Exceeded" message in Eclipse? I'm MacOSX, Yosemite. This OUT OF MEMORY issue (Eclipse is using a TON of memory) has occurred since I installed Android 5.0 SDK and platform tools. It doens't matter what platform I'm compiling for (I generally compile for 4.0), Eclipse is barely able to launch sometimes. Lame Lame. This may be the single best thing for Google - may force us all to Android Studio, wink. Reference https://docs.oseems.com/general/application/eclipse/fix-gc-overhead-limit-exceeded

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
01/08/15 04:28 PM (9 years ago)
I get that all the time, but Eclipse works just fine for me. I use the Eclipse ADT Bundle. Google removed it in favor of Studio, but it's archived here: http://enos.itcollege.ee/~jpoial/allalaadimised/AndroidSDK/ I was finally able to get a BT app to compile in Android Studio just last night. It completely changes the file structure when it imports the project. I'm going to make a video on how to use it very soon. In my opinion, Studio is still inferior to Eclipse for what most BT users will do, and that's to compile their app. It's sloooooooooow as molasses, and goes online to get just about everything. It's quite frustrating! Mark

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Monterey, CA
01/08/15 04:31 PM (9 years ago)
@GoNorthWest should make a new compilter. Literally make one. The fastest, best, most straightforward compiler there is. IDE's suck! Sorry Eclipse and Studio, you're making things far more difficult than they should be.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
01/08/15 04:39 PM (9 years ago)
Hmmm...I may have to check into that! I've actually had an idea on using ant to compile more easily, bypassing actually having to open Eclipse. I may have to resurrect that project! Yeah, Eclipse and Studio are certainly roadblocks to fun Android development. I never get the same result twice in Eclipse. I can import a project, clear out all the errors, and export it to an apk. Then I shut down Eclipse, come back a few days later, open it up, and all of a sudden my project has a jillion errors that it didn't have before! And nothing cleans them out until I exit Eclipse and come back in. Then they're magically fixed! CRAZY! Mark

chris1
Code is Art
Reg: Aug 10, 2012
Austin, TX
01/08/15 05:03 PM (9 years ago)
Yikes - yes I hate Eclipse. I use it only when working on an app that uses the map plugin. For some reason Android Studio doesn't like that. Eclipse also handles external libraries a little easier imo. IntelliJ is pretty slick for xml work though. Almost up to Xcode snuff. Almost. :)

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Monterey, CA
01/08/15 08:17 PM (9 years ago)
"Almost" - for sure. I got this figured out, mostly. It boils down to some bogusness on Eclipses part... a) When Eclipse launches it may or may not prompt you to choose a workspace. If it does not, it processes all sorts of crazy cached files from the existing workspace, the last workspace used. Removing projects from this workspace does NOT remove all the files. It leaves behind a ton of hidden files (Mac's OSX hides files with funky prefixes and suffixes). This means that over time (years in my case) the workspace becomes a cluttered invisible mess of useless files. b) Eclipse takes FOREVER to process these files in it's workspace. This is why memory usage goes crazy (Java is a hog) on OSX and why Eclipse ultimately crashes. c) Changing the workspace is not trivial when Eclipse won't even launch. "Building Workspace" runs until it crashes, preventing you from changing the Eclipse Preferences to "prompt to choose a workspace on startup." Lame lame. Changing the workspace is a game of cat-n-mouse trying to get the preferences before it crashes. Yes, I messed with the config.ini file for Eclipse to try to change how it launched. It had no effect. The reported eclipse.ini file that should allow a memory usage adjustment (as per that article) DOES NOT EXIST If you use Eclipse Luna, like I do. Like most folks do. eclipse.ini file simply does not exist anymore making it very tough to allow or prevent memory usage. d) Creating a new empty workspace (an empty directory) and selecting that on Eclipse start up fixes the problem. Naturally there are no Andorid projects in this newly created workspace so it's a pain to re-import the ones you're working with but it's not too painful if you're organized. All your android projects are in the same folder on your machine, right? e) Android Studio will surely become the way forward. It's my opinion that Google is working hard (has been for years) to rid us from these silly issues. It's much much faster that it used to be (@GoNorthWest, thats for you). It's quick on my machine with the latest release? f) I"m still mad at Eclipse and the ADT and the Android SDK. Just like I've always been. Job security I guess? Sigh.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
01/08/15 08:36 PM (9 years ago)
Interesting stuff! Good sleuthing! Yes, Studio is faster now that it is an actual release candidate instead of a beta. And, it appears to run a bit faster each time I launch it. But, it's still pretty darn slow, at least compared to Eclipse and the ADT! Mark

CMCOFFEE
Android Fan
Reg: Jan 04, 2013
Amarillo, Texas
01/09/15 11:30 AM (9 years ago)
Thanks David! In my android class this semester we're starting out with android studio! great job on the tutorial GoNorthWest!

KennedyE
Android Fan
Reg: Dec 07, 2013
PH, Nigeria
01/09/15 12:49 PM (9 years ago)
"...I never get the same result twice in Eclipse. I can import a project, clear out all the errors, and export it to an apk. Then I shut down Eclipse, come back a few days later, open it up, and all of a sudden my project has a jillion errors that it didn't have before! And nothing cleans them out until I exit Eclipse and come back in. Then they're magically fixed!..." @GoNorthWest, when you switch on your computer, do not launch Eclipse immediately to avoid errors which were previously not in your project, allow some time before launching Eclipse... my experience though...

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
01/09/15 12:52 PM (9 years ago)
I'll keep that in mind...thanks!

LA
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 16, 2012
Jerseyville, IL
01/09/15 01:32 PM (9 years ago)
Eclipse works fine for me! Once you get used to it, it's rather easy! LA

ianJamesPiano
Code is Art
Reg: Feb 13, 2011
Palm Springs, C...
01/09/15 07:30 PM (9 years ago)
Updating my Eclipse. Let u know what I get!

Summer Weather
Aspiring developer
Reg: Nov 18, 2011
Newport Beach, ...
01/14/15 12:01 AM (9 years ago)
I had that problem. Here is what I did to fix it: http://bit.ly/1IuNIFb

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.