Stormy2022
Lost but trying
Reg: Dec 31, 2014
New Orleans
01/06/15 08:33 AM (9 years ago)

What is the recommended dev envionment?

I have a self hosted environment. I've generated my app for BT 2.0 and 3.0. I've tried a few different versions of Eclipse, ADT and JDK. Seems like no matter what combination I choose, I see errors in Eclipse preventing me from compiling my app. Currently: JDK 1.7_01 Android SDK Tools 24.0.2 Eclpise 3.7.2 BT App 3.0 What environment are others using here? It seems to me that at least some of the issues stem from BT relying on older API's. When is this going to be updated for android 5.01? And/or, when will BT docs be updated to setup Eclipse environment, even for older android API's, for 2015? All the docs I see (not counting advice in forums) is circa 2011-2012. Frustrating for new users.. nothing lines up from the docs/videos provided here.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
01/06/15 09:33 AM (9 years ago)
Hi @Stormy, The environment you have set up should work just fine. What sort of errors are you getting? Do you have the Google Play Services library linked to your app as required? I have a number of videos on my YouTube channel that might be helpful to you: https://www.youtube.com/user/gonorthwest Let us know the exact errors you are getting, and we can help work through them. Android is very frustrating because it's Android...not because of BT. It's just a way different method of doing things than with iOS. Mark

stewdesignjts
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jan 05, 2015
huntsville al
01/06/15 04:49 PM (9 years ago)
Can Eclipse be too new to work well? I downloaded 4.4.0 and have had some trouble running the program, but i just started trying to do this. thanks, jason

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
01/06/15 04:55 PM (9 years ago)
It should be fine. Eclipse is just an IDE that wraps up the Android SDK for you use. Ideally, if you install the Eclipse ADT Bundle, you'll get everything (except Java) in a single package. Google recently pulled it because they released Android Studio (which you should stay away from), but somebody archived it here: http://enos.itcollege.ee/~jpoial/allalaadimised/AndroidSDK/ Grab it while you can...no telling how long it'll be there. I have videos on my YouTube channel that show how to do the install. Mark

stewdesignjts
Aspiring developer
huntsville al
01/07/15 01:43 PM (9 years ago)
Eclipse 4.4.0 proved to be fine. My problem was related to the directions pdf, which doesn't mention that you have to go get the google play services library folder and copy it to the folder of the BT app file package BEFORE importing both into Eclipse. Related to the OP's question, i can't compile any version other than android 4.0 which is causing an issue as the URL plug-in will not function on it (but it does work on my 4.1.2 android tracfone). It says the plugin is missing on my tablet running 4.4. Are there any work-arounds for dealing with issues like this on devices with newer versions of android software where it says the plugin is missing? thanks, jason

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
01/07/15 01:50 PM (9 years ago)
Hi Jason, You don't need to actually copy the Google Play Services Library into your BT project. What you should do is import that library into Eclipse, and then, right-click on your imported BT project, select Properties > Android, and then link the library there. It doesn't have to be an actual part of the project. The only reason it should say the plugin is missing is because it wasn't included in the build package. And you should be able to compile on the latest Android version. What error do you get when you try? Mark

stewdesignjts
Aspiring developer
huntsville al
01/07/15 02:07 PM (9 years ago)
Thanks for the help Mark, I think i understand about the library now, but i read on the android site where they recommended that so that's why i went down that road. I think the OP was having the same type of issues i am (which is why i'm butting in): when i compile in 4.4.2 or 5.0.1 i get this error: The method setPluginsEnabled(boolean) is undefined for the type WebSettings BT_screen_customURL.java /cdsjohnblueapp/src/com/cdsjohnblueapp line 87 Java There are also a number of warnings that are related to this. By the way, the app is my first one and just has 4 simple buttons linking to email, phone, url, and a catalog pdf at an address. THanks, Jason

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
01/07/15 02:21 PM (9 years ago)
Interesting. Well, if you compile it on Android 4.0, which should work, the app should still run on any other version because it should be backwards compatible. For what it's worth, according to Google, nobody is using 5.0.x, so I wouldn't even worry about it. 60% of Android levels are 4.3 and below. https://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html Mark

stewdesignjts
Aspiring developer
huntsville al
01/07/15 02:31 PM (9 years ago)
Mark, I have compiled it on 4.0 and loaded it onto two devices. The BT custom url plugin doesn't work at all on my 4.4.x device so i'm curious about what to do. Jason

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
01/07/15 02:36 PM (9 years ago)
Well, we'll have to talk to David Book, since it's his plugin, and see if he can get it fixed. In the meantime, since it works on 4.0, you should still be able to work on developing your app! Mark

stewdesignjts
Aspiring developer
huntsville al
01/08/15 08:35 AM (9 years ago)
Ok thanks. Should i contact him or does he look out for these kind of issues? Jason

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
01/08/15 09:17 AM (9 years ago)
Hi Jason, I've sent him an email regarding the issue. Hopefully he should check into it soon. Mark

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 01, 2010
Monterey, CA
01/08/15 12:44 PM (9 years ago)
Hi guys.. Just off an epic GoToMeeting to India. "My machine won't compile your code" type thing. Sigh. Turns out, :90 mins later that Eclispe was running out of memory on a windows machine. Go figure. Adjusting the eclipse.ini file to allow Eclipse to literally consume ALL the dudes computer had - fixed. Who would have thought you could still by a Windows machine with nearly no memory. Good stuff. On to this one...The URL plugins works on 4.4.4 devices, for sure. I'm using it right now. If it's not working or compiling or something else is freaked out we'll need to dig into WHY that environment / setup won't compile it. I'm a bit confused as to what's not happening here. @stewdesignjts tells us that the app compiles and installs but the URL "plugin doesn't work at all on my 4.4.x device". Scrolling up a bit to a different post he mentions that he sees "It says the plugin is missing on my tablet running 4.4." So, the BT_screen_customURL.java file either does or does not exist in the Android project. If it does, and it compiles, you'll never see the "plugin missing" message. If it does not, and it's not compiled in the project, you WILL see the "plugin missing" message. I guess what I'm confused about is does the plugin exist in the project BUT NOT WORK or does the project NOT HAVE the necessary files. Big difference. Confusing for sure but we need to get past that part before moving on. Materials / Help: Yes, the videos i've made over the years have gotten super outdated. Lost of the material is still useful but there are some nuiances that have changed. In a general sense, downloading, openining in Eclipse, and running hasn't changed. @GoNorthwest has created tons of other tutorials that are more up to date, I would suggest sticking with those until we get more modernized versions created.

stewdesignjts
Aspiring developer
huntsville al
01/08/15 01:09 PM (9 years ago)
David, Sorry for the lack of info - i'm a mechanical engr trying to catch on. My tab pro device is 4.4.2 and the custom URL plugin isn't working on it but it does work on my phone. The message on the tablet screen it gives is: "Missing Plugin: The Android class file for this screen was not compiled in the project." It is my opinion that the plugin is in the project because it works on my phone. Jason

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Monterey, CA
01/08/15 04:21 PM (9 years ago)
@stewdesignjts: Cool, no sorries needed, we're all in this darned Android thing! LOL Yes, I agree, if the same .apk compiled and installed on your phone, and on the tablet, and it wokrs on one but not the other, well, it MUST be in the project. Not totally back to square one, we know good info for sure. now. What is a "tab pro device is 4.4.2". Literally, who makes this gadget? Like make / model. Shouldn't matter but I'll be researching to figure this out.

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Monterey, CA
01/08/15 07:41 PM (9 years ago)
Update: The plot thickens...a new post about a different Plugin not working (that was based on my original standard URL plugin) has been added. https://www.buzztouch.com/forum/thread.php?fid=B63919BD5BDC7E38F814CA6&tid=B63919BD5BDC7E38F814CA6 Guessing we'll work these side-by-side Stay tuned...

stewdesignjts
Aspiring developer
huntsville al
01/09/15 07:02 AM (9 years ago)
Dave, it is a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, just bought it in December. Thanks, Jason

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Monterey, CA
01/09/15 11:10 AM (9 years ago)
Hi Jason.. Yup, it looks like things are beginning to ad up. Re-visit the growing conversation on that other thread https://www.buzztouch.com/forum/thread.php?fid=B63919BD5BDC7E38F814CA6&tid=B63919BD5BDC7E38F814CA6 It's looking like the issue is related to the type of HTML being displayed for the content. My test use basic stuff and seem to work as expected. However, some other more complex HTML seems to not work as expected. Still grasping a bit here but that seems to be the issue. FOR SURE the webView component used in apps on 4.4.4 devices HAS CHANGED. You're correct there. Fundamentally it works the "same way" (loads a URL, HTML, etc) but some more sophisticated methods and events in the webView have changed. This explains why some HTML would work fine (simple stuff) and other more complex stuff may not. Do you have time and / or are you interested in jumping on a GoToMeeting and doing a screenshare with me? We could do this anytime. I'de be interested in seeing your Eclipse environment and your connected Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 running the app. The LogCat output in Eclipse could help explain all sorts of nerdy stuff if I could see it :-) Email me: david at buzztouch.com if this is something you want to get involved with. Else...stay tuned, surely a solution will surface. Sorry about the Tide, go Ducks! (daughter is a sophmore at University of Oregon) Cheers from Monterey...

stewdesignjts
Aspiring developer
huntsville al
01/09/15 12:53 PM (9 years ago)
David, I'm tied up today but could do that next week if needed. I placed the .apk file on the tablet and installed it there - not sure if that messes up what you wanted to do. Thanks, Jason

stewdesignjts
Aspiring developer
huntsville al
01/12/15 02:11 PM (9 years ago)
David, I see some progress was made on the other plug-in with some minor changes - will you be doing the same to your plug-in? thanks, jason

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Monterey, CA
01/12/15 11:14 PM (9 years ago)
Hey there… I don't think so. The custom URL plug in that I made does not allow you to enter HTML content. It allows you to point to a URL. I think this is different. I could be wrong but I don't think there's anything I can change or that I can predict in terms of what type of HTML is loaded. In other words, it seems to me that some HTML works in some does not. Still waiting for a few more details from a few other users but will keep this post updated. Naturally this URL plug-in can be adjusted or modified as necessary just as of yet don't know what needs modifying. I will let this thread know if I learn anything new

stewdesignjts
Aspiring developer
huntsville al
01/13/15 08:34 AM (9 years ago)
David, Well, it is working for me now on the samsung tablet so go figure. Thanks, Jason

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.