Amarillo, Texas
04/17/14 05:37 PM (10 years ago)

I dont fully understand this

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
04/17/14 06:15 PM (10 years ago)
In a nutshell, Apple 'used' to use what was called the 'UDID' to identify a device. However, it was found that you could (after some time and tracking) obtain bits and pieces of personally identifiable information that could reveal the actual user identity. Bad juju. Advertisers 'were' using the UDID in their ad tracking scheme, to 'target' ads to users. Apple has revised this practice, doing away with the UDID, and replacing it with the "IDFA" (aka IFA) which is the 'IDentifier For Advertisers', a similar scheme, but harder to tie any device to a particular 'user', and also includes some user options to "Limit Ad Tracking". You'll still get ads, but not 'targeted' ads. This change is primarily for advertisers, like RevMob, or that kind of thing. I don't 'think' it affects us as developers, other than if serving up ads 'locally', adhere to new IDFA use rather than old school UDID use. Hope that helps! Cheers! -- Smug

CMCOFFEE
Android Fan
Reg: Jan 04, 2013
Amarillo, Texas
04/17/14 08:04 PM (10 years ago)
Ok I understand now.thanks! Does admob use That tracking method?

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
04/17/14 08:15 PM (10 years ago)
Genuinely not sure. But anyone still using UDID will not be doing so for long, heh. I would 'hope' that if you're signed up for anything needs changing, they would advise you of the change, and provide whatever the developer needs to do (like recompile, new SDK, or something to accomodate the changes). But I don't use those types of services, so I haven't heard or seen anything on it, and probably won't. Cheers! -- Smug

KennedyE
Android Fan
Reg: Dec 07, 2013
PH, Nigeria
04/18/14 03:24 AM (10 years ago)
I think Google(Android) Admob was the first to start using that kind of tracking method few weeks back...

CMCOFFEE
Android Fan
Reg: Jan 04, 2013
Amarillo, Texas
04/18/14 08:09 AM (10 years ago)
Yea I only use ads on android but I was curious since they use that for defense.there's also a lot of people I know that use admob in ios.in sure they will update the sdk

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.