Discussion Forums  >  Maps, Device Location, Tracking

Replies: 2    Views: 100

ehwright
Aspiring developer
Reg: Feb 21, 2012
Perth
12/03/12 09:41 PM (11 years ago)

Google's API V2

I was looking around Google today, checking out how to get an API key to show someone how to do it, when I saw that, by March next year there will be no API keys generated using version 1 and we will have to upgrade to V2 if we want to create a new API key. I understand that our current keys will continue to work, only people who want new keys will be affected. These new keys will work in with the new API console. I had a look at the changes and it looks like there will need to be quite a substantial change to the current Android map code to work in with this since maps will no longer be using views, but fragments. I was looking at undertaking the code changes myself until I saw the extent of the change required and realised it's beyond me. As a user who would love to access the new features of the maps - e.g.. the 3D street views, I was wondering anyone is onto this?

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
12/03/12 10:04 PM (11 years ago)
Hi @ehwright, Very interesting! I was in the middle of crafting a reply to this, assuming that you were talking about the web site keys you can get, and not the Android keys. But see that they are indeed deprecating v1 keys, and moving to v2, which provides the API in the SDK! We'll have to check this out and figure out how to integrate into buzztouch. For now, though, you should be safe using v1 keys. Here's the link in case anybody is interested: https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/android/ Mark

LA
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 16, 2012
Jerseyville, IL
12/04/12 07:07 AM (11 years ago)
@GoNorthWest, Do you believe this change might allow us to see the maps in the emulator? LA

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.