Discussion Forums  >  Maps, Device Location, Tracking

Replies: 5    Views: 278

frozensun090
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jan 13, 2012
location unknow...
01/11/13 10:38 PM (11 years ago)

Google Maps API v2 Affect Location Plugin

I'm having some problems with the maps plugin of my v2 app. I see that the API v1 is being discontinued. How will this affect future apps and keystores? I tried creating the API keys with API v2 using the SHA-1 but I can't seem to get the maps working. All I get are gray tiles. Used the release key, edited strings.xml and checked the other files per all the tutorials. Will we be able to use API v2 in the future or am I doing something wrong now? I will try redoing the keys with v1 tomorrow but just wondering. Thanks for the help ahead of time. Ps-sorry if there are errors, sent from my phone.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
01/12/13 12:16 AM (11 years ago)
Hello, Check out this step-by-step tutorial for getting maps working: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGC9IuEMwBE It doesn't address the new API scheme, but you don't have to worry about that for a while. What they used to have still works. Mark

frozensun090
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jan 13, 2012
location unknow...
01/12/13 11:33 AM (11 years ago)
I watched that before but I was using the Maps API v2. Switched to v1 and works now, Thank you. I'm using a data url which loads about 900 or so points on a map. Takes some time to load. Would you recommend me hard-coding the child items into the json? Would that speed it up? If so, does that go into the BT_Config file? Another problem I'm having is the location points (including you location) are far far far off, unless you go to max zoom. Any suggestion on how to correct that? I'm also testing out BatchGeo and a standard custom Google Map. BatchGeo looks great but has no way to show user location. Can that be added to the custom URL plugin in eclipse? Google Maps works great too, but for some reason, if loaded in app, the find location button seems to not do anything. If I use the phone browser it works. Some background, I'm creating an agency use only app with links and documents. The mapping function is a big deal and needs to show almost 900 location points on a map. I'm not completely sold on needing driving directions or showing the user location, but user location would be more desirable. Most importantly, I need to be able to port it to iOS also. So methods that are cross-platform are required. Thanks for the help ! PS, the next step would be to intercept addresses from emails or text messages for directions but I think iOS is going to tell me no. I haven't looked into it yet but I'm sure I can use a google maps url with some sort of prompt to shortcut a directions from current location. Anyone have experience with this before I look into it myself?

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
01/12/13 12:01 PM (11 years ago)
Hello, Glad you were able to get it running! The switch to Maps API v2 is relatively new, so some research needs to go into how to support that. I'm sure it's on David's list of things to do. Having all your map points in the local config file should speed things up a bit, since you won't have to go over the network to get them. They are just JSON child items as you indicated. You can manually edit your config file to add them. The one caveat is if you want to keep your app online, meaning changes to the control panel automatically update the app. If you do, and you've added additional JSON to your config file, they will get overwritten when the app is updated. To maintain your config file modifications, you'd need to make your app offline (remove the dataURL). One of our local gurus has a tool that might help you create all the JSON you're looking to make: http://idevdepot.com/category/buzztouch-tutorials/stobes-buzztouch-tools/mapmaker-tool/ Since the maps pin locations are controlled by JSON, and it's the same config files that are used for both iOS and Android, whatever you create for Android should work for iOS as well. Let us know how things go! Mark

Gutty
Lost but trying
Reg: Apr 12, 2012
New Zealand
03/16/13 05:38 AM (11 years ago)
Hey guys, I would like to mention that I had this error with com.google.android.maps.GeoPoint and Marks tutorial, fixed it. Thanks Mark!! I am yet to use the maps system in my app, but had the screen there ready for the task... Cheers. Dave

SrikarSree
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jul 22, 2012
Bangalore
03/17/13 10:44 AM (11 years ago)
Hi @Mark I followed you video and got the map display with the pointers. However when i test it on a device and ask for directions it says "Your device does not appear to be reporting it's location?" I have changed the BT_config.txt to "live" mode The androidmanifest.xml to "false" The screen_map.xml to "Release" In strings.xml, i have removed the debug api key from google and i have replaced the release key with a new release api key from google. Is there anything else i need to do. The google maps which comes along with the device works and shows my location. the gps is on. Sree

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.