Discussion Forums  >  Maps, Device Location, Tracking

Replies: 24    Views: 142

Mobwurd
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jan 04, 2013
Carloway, Outer...
01/28/13 07:31 AM (11 years ago)

Map based app questions and suggestions

Hey Guys, Ok this is the first of probably many posts I make asking questions and asking for suggestions or opinions. Background: I am building an android app (ios will follow once I buy a mac) the basics are it will be a map based explorer type map. So each point on the main map page will be a tourist attraction/viewpoint ~100-150 points. The tap out will give directions and/or a link to a relevant website or page. Then at the moment I am planning on at least 2-3 more map pages for things like places to stay,eat and activities. I've been planning this app in my head for over a year now and it wasn't until I discovered Buzztouch that it became a real possibility :). I have already built and tested a bare bones version with 2 maps and a few points on each. Questions: 1) On the main tourist page I will only be displaying the name of the place and providing a link for directions. So would it be better to add them directly into the app from the control panel or source them from an external url? 2) On the subsequent map pages, for example places to stay/eat or activity suppliers (tour operators and such). My intention is to initially populate them with just name tags no directions and no link to external websites. That's the money making part which I'll rationalize later. Again the question would be the same as no 1 should I just add them to the app directly or use an externally called database? 3) If I use an external database can I make the app update itself from the database rather than calling for the data every time it's used? I think that's it for now so I welcome any insight suggestions or answers. Regards Ron

LA
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 16, 2012
Jerseyville, IL
01/28/13 07:36 AM (11 years ago)
Hey @Mobwurd, @GoNorthWest did a pdf tutorial on something like this so maybe it will help you. All credit goes to @GoNorthWest! http://www.buzztouch.com/resources/Posting_Current_Location_to_a_Database_v1.0.pdf LA

Mobwurd
Aspiring developer
Carloway, Outer...
01/28/13 07:49 AM (11 years ago)
Hey LA Thanks for that I have that pdf already I was more looking for insights into the pros and cons of loading all the points in the app or using an external url. I learned very early on that GoNorthWest was one of the people to pay attention to so I found everything he published and subscribed to his youtube channel. He along with other people here have saved me countless hours already and if and when the opportunity arises there will be a few beers bought in appreciation. Regards Ron

Mobwurd
Aspiring developer
Carloway, Outer...
01/28/13 07:53 AM (11 years ago)
Damn page refresh double post sorry Regards Ron

Mr stuck
Android Fan
Reg: Apr 09, 2012
Fife, Scotland
01/28/13 07:56 AM (11 years ago)
Sounds like your app will follow a similar idea that I had https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.globalpiperhire I just use buzztouch to add map locations. My intention was to charge to have website linked to map pin. My main stumbling block is how to charge? I am trying to figure out if I require to charge using Google in app subscription as what I am selling is a link in the app. I would like to charge using paypal but have not done so yet as need to figure out if it is against policy or not. If It has to go through Google billing then its a lot of code that has to be added and is above my skill level at the moment. Just thought you might like to know this. Good luck

LA
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 16, 2012
Jerseyville, IL
01/28/13 08:02 AM (11 years ago)
Hey Mr stuck, Just be careful about google maps and charging. I believe It violates their policy. LA

Mobwurd
Aspiring developer
Carloway, Outer...
01/28/13 08:08 AM (11 years ago)
@Mr Stuck Thanks for the heads up on the issues you have encountered I hadn't got that far. Initially I was going to charge externally using Paypal Pro via my main marketing website. I had considered a self subscribing option so that businesses could add themselves to the app via a website which would be hooked directly into the app databases hence the questions about pros and cons of external database use. I'll have to check the t&c's for google play but my basic understanding is if I give the app away I can charge or sell stuff in the app. But I'll make sure first, still in the early stages yet but I hope to have at least V1 in googleplay in about a week or so. edit* @LA again thanks for the heads up re google maps (may need to find another way around it. PS. My son (age 9) is an aspiring piper, still on the chanter for now but he is keen and his teacher says he is a natural piper. Regards Ron

Mr stuck
Android Fan
Fife, Scotland
01/28/13 08:08 AM (11 years ago)
That's the sticking point. I offer map positions free with contact number but wanted to charge to have a details button which launches to their website. So I am charging for a button which appears when map pin is clicked which is not charging for map is it? The problem is would this fall under Google market billing or not as I am launching native browser?. tricky to figure it out and i don't want to risk losing account. Any idea? Thanks

Mr stuck
Android Fan
Fife, Scotland
01/28/13 08:14 AM (11 years ago)
@Mobwurd you could add a batchgeo map direct to website and have customers register on your site to avoid any issues with Google billing. Just use custom url to pull batchgeo map into app. Tell your son to stick at the pipes. Good thing to learn.

Mobwurd
Aspiring developer
Carloway, Outer...
01/28/13 08:15 AM (11 years ago)
Well the simplest idea would be to email google outline your plans and ask them for advice. Another thought occurs, that would suit my circumstances but perhaps not your's, would be to buy commercial digital maps and use them. I'm thinking memory maps or OS. The app is highly localised in my case so this might be the way forward. Hmm lots to consider..

Mr stuck
Android Fan
Fife, Scotland
01/28/13 08:20 AM (11 years ago)
Check out batchgeo.com. Don't know if you have used them but you could add same map to your website and app.

Mobwurd
Aspiring developer
Carloway, Outer...
01/28/13 08:34 AM (11 years ago)
@Mr Stuck Appreciate the pointer to batchgeo a brief look tells me that could be the way to go. Ron

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
01/28/13 08:55 AM (11 years ago)
Hi Ron, Welcome to buzztouch! Regarding question #3, you can indeed provide map points to your app via a database. All you need to do is create a script, likely PHP-based, that queries the database and passes the results back in the JSON format that the app requires. Here's a post I wrote up on how to do that: https://www.buzztouch.com/forum/thread.php?tid=6A0E0F30B5413FF704B3A04 There's some additional discussion in the post that hasn't made it into the PDF yet. Anyway..it's absolutely a viable option, and as long as the user has a network connection, should be a good way for them to retrieve map points! Mark

Mobwurd
Aspiring developer
Carloway, Outer...
01/28/13 09:03 AM (11 years ago)
Hey Mark, Thanks for chiming in, I kinda hoped you would, just to get it out of the way I'd like to thank you for all the great pdf's and info you have made available and in advance for any more that you produce. The network connection was in part why I wanted to learn if the map points once called would cache locally. The main reason for this is the area I am covering is my local area the islands in the Outer Hebrides Scotland. whilst we do have such new fangled luxuries such as running water and electricity, our mobile network coverage can be spotty at best.. Cheers Ron

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
01/28/13 09:14 AM (11 years ago)
Hi Ron, Glad you've found the documents and stuff helpful! Don't hesitate to put in a suggestion if there's something you need. The map points themselves will be included in the app if you don't specify an external data source. However...the map tiles themselves won't be available without a network connection. I don't know of any way to cache the tiles, and I'm not sure if they're cached if a user has viewed them previously. Perhaps somebody has some experience with this and can chime in. I know @trailman has done some mapping work, and might be able to help. Mark

Red Dog
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 16, 2011
Southern Califo...
01/28/13 12:48 PM (11 years ago)
Hi Ron. You can take a look at my app "Pets 411" It is free and I use batchgeo for the business locations. Just to give you an idea. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pets-411/id530224018?mt=8

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
01/28/13 01:36 PM (11 years ago)
Hey Mobwurd, It may not be directly related to what your project is, but I am doing a directory kind of app myself. Don't know if it will assist, but you're welcome to snoop through my PHP/MySQL scripts to see how I'm doing my menus, dynamic BT Page generation, and data filtering. Just another angle to check out... https://dl.dropbox.com/u/115208762/loadScreenObject.zip Cheers! -- Smug

Mr stuck
Android Fan
Fife, Scotland
01/28/13 01:48 PM (11 years ago)
@Red Dog I just remembered that batchgeo from custom url on android does not show users gps location Perhaps someone knows a fix?

Red Dog
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 16, 2011
Southern Califo...
01/28/13 02:06 PM (11 years ago)
Hi Stuck. I did not know that. My app is iOS. I thought the batchgeo map was web based so it would not matter. I will try to borrow an Android device and see. Thanks for the heads up

Mr stuck
Android Fan
Fife, Scotland
01/28/13 02:18 PM (11 years ago)
No probs. Been a while since i tested it so unless something's changed it could still be a problem. I am sure someone posted in the forum about this same problem in last week or so but can't remember what post it was.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
01/28/13 02:30 PM (11 years ago)
Oddly enough, my real estate app just uses the 'location map' plugin, which works 'PERFECT' on Android. And Apple Maps of course screw it up on iDevices that are iOS 6+ (it works perfect on my 1G iPad with v5.1.1) Anyone know of a good way to 'force' google maps in the location map plugin for iPhone? Cheers! -- Smug

Mobwurd
Aspiring developer
Carloway, Outer...
01/29/13 02:15 AM (11 years ago)
Cheers Guys, Well you have all given me some great feedback and food for thought, my target for version 1 is still a week so I have a lot of work ahead of me. Regards Ron

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
01/29/13 08:26 AM (11 years ago)
Hey Ron, Keep the questions coming! We all learn something when somebody works out a cool design feature! Mark

sxywebgirl
Aspiring developer
Reg: Apr 12, 2013
Altadena, CA
06/26/13 08:24 PM (11 years ago)
@SmugWimp, I have an idea for an app that's been running around in my head that would have areas(counties) and then show a list of locations on a map with markers or have the option to view text list of locations.... but I am not a PHP/MySQL coder. Thank you for supplying your scripts, I'm going to look it over and hope to learn something that will help me :-) Thanks!

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
06/27/13 01:19 AM (11 years ago)
Let me know if you have questions. Before too much longer, I'll be able to show you how to do it with offline maps :) Cheers! -- Smug

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.