Discussion Forums  >  Maps, Device Location, Tracking

Replies: 8    Views: 3603

Mushypea
I hate code!
Reg: Jun 20, 2012
Sydney
12/16/12 10:18 PM (11 years ago)

Grab map location pin lat/lon coordinates and then send to an email body

Hi guys, I'm having a great time with Buzztouch and Fusion Tables. I'd like to be able to open the map app and see my current location - no prob there - works out of the box. But, I'd like to be able to move the location pin (for accuracy) and have the ability to send those coordinates to an email address using the email plugin. I've gone through the maps forum. The 'Posting Device's Current Location to a Database' is really awesome but I don't need to send to a db. I just need to embed the coords (and some other notes) when the user clicks the location pin to the email plugin. Will continue looking..

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
12/16/12 11:23 PM (11 years ago)
What about if you sent the coordinates to an HTML form, which gave the user the ability to type in a destination email address and have them sent away? That could be done pretty easily with PHP. Instead of sending it to a database, you could pass it into some PHP variables in a form, stuff them in a text field or something, and use that to form the basis of an email message. Just a thought! Mark

0z2000tv
Aspiring developer
Reg: Sep 10, 2011
Nashville
12/17/12 12:49 PM (11 years ago)
Great thought Mark. Sadly, now I know how my dog feels when I tell him how much he is going to enjoy the park. I am finishing an APP that would benefit by emailing the users device location but like Mushypea I am not tall enough to ride the code ride, but I am learning. Thanks Mark, Mike

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
12/17/12 01:20 PM (11 years ago)
Hi Mike, I have some vacation coming up...I'll see if I can figure out how to do this programmatically in the app. I'm not a coder (which is why I'm at buzztouch), but we'll see what I can figure out. No promises! Mark

0z2000tv
Aspiring developer
Nashville
12/17/12 02:25 PM (11 years ago)
Thank you Mark. Don't take any time from your family to think about and try to fix my lack of talent. I will figure it out by the time iOS 9 is in Beta. Mike

Mushypea
I hate code!
Sydney
12/17/12 02:56 PM (11 years ago)
Hey guys, sorry I thought I replied to this last night. Thanks heaps for the advice Mark. Your idea rocks and I'll see if can dust off my old PHP books from years ago. Mike, you made me laugh with "Don't take any time from your family to think about and try to fix my lack of talent" - totally the same for me :o) Happy Chrimbo fellas, mushypea

Mushypea
I hate code!
Sydney
01/08/13 03:15 AM (11 years ago)
Hey guys, Happy new year. Just wondering if you looked any more at this? I'm going round in circles but have found app which does exactly what I want (albeit for a different field). It's called Bike Blackspot (free on App store). I'd love to know how this was done and if it's at all possible with buzztouch. I love the simplicity of moving the pin on the map to get more accurate and having the address populate in a form. Mike, I've made great progress with your location.php form too - I've certainly learnt a lot over the holidays!

Mushypea
I hate code!
Sydney
01/08/13 03:55 AM (11 years ago)
Hey guys, Happy new year. Just wondering if you looked any more at this? I'm going round in circles but have found app which does exactly what I want (albeit for a different field). It's called Bike Blackspot (free on App store). I'd love to know how this was done and if it's at all possible with buzztouch. I love the simplicity of moving the pin on the map to get more accurate and having the address populate in a form. Mike, I've made great progress with your location.php form too - I've certainly learnt a lot over the holidays!

0z2000tv
Aspiring developer
Nashville
01/08/13 06:56 AM (11 years ago)
Hello Mushypea Have not heard a word since last post here. I sent my APP to Apple without the email location feature. The app is in review now. If I learn how to add the feature I will update the app. Good luck. Mike

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.